• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CNN with Phlip Van Cleave 12/12/11

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
PVC answered questions about guns on campus this morning on CNN. This problem is getting national exposure through the efforts of VCDL.

See the segment with Phil, by clicking below:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/12/12/exp-am-van-cleave-guns.cnn

Put the heat on our GA now - explain responsibly to your legislators why this IS a good idea, the only logical one. The time for this is very important - start today and don't stop until this issue is law.

grylnsmn

PVC answered questions about guns on campus this morning on CNN. This problem is getting national exposure through the efforts of VCDL.

See the segment with Phil, by clicking below:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/12/12/exp-am-van-cleave-guns.cnn

Put the heat on our GA now - explain responsibly to your legislators why this IS a good idea, the only logical one. The time for this is very important - start today and don't stop until this issue is law.

I happened to get the email alert just before it came on, and had the chance to watch it with my wife. (I saved it to my Tivo, if we need another copy.)

Both of us were quite taken by the heavy bias that the anchor represented. It was clear that he had his opinion, and no amount of facts or reasonable discussion would make a difference.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I happened to get the email alert just before it came on, and had the chance to watch it with my wife. (I saved it to my Tivo, if we need another copy.)

Both of us were quite taken by the heavy bias that the anchor represented. It was clear that he had his opinion, and no amount of facts or reasonable discussion would make a difference.

Think that in spite of the bias attitude of the commentator, the segment was good for our cause - gave much boarder exposure and the people/listeners are not drinking the Koolade so much any more, they are making much more intelligent judgements.

Felix

Wish PVC would have been a bit more enthusiastic with his Q&A responses.

But his words were right on the money. Made our case very persuasively I thought.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The problem with interviews lke that one is that the person being interviewed has a vested interest in remaining polite and not calling the interviewer out as being biased or agenda-driven or flat-out stupid. For example, the questions about whether or not college students who go out binge drinking should be allowed to carry is actually asking if underage students who are illegally binge drinking also be allowed to carry. The answer to that is simple - but more importantly the fallacy of the question's premise needs to be attacked. In the same manner the suggestion that having a gun on campus would create some sort of hostile atmosphere that does not otherwise exist needs to be attacked. Young, hotheaded college students seem to get into fistfights without too much problem -- except they don't seem to be doing that in the classrooms and lecture halls when differences of opinion occur. But if guns were present blood would be flowing between the desks!

The idiocy of those arguments needs to be pointed out. Not just saying that concealed permit holders are statistically more law-abiding than any other segment of society, but that the expressed fears of blood and bullets everywhere are sheer idiocy. For those that are afraid to upset the sensibilities of the media and the general public, I suggest they look at how the statements of Gov. Christie of NJ are being received. Nobody seems to be calling for him to be impeached, or hung from the nearest lamppost, when he says the emperor has no clothes on.

The fools out there never bothered to get any gloves. Why are we bothering to make sure ours are tied with a pretty bow?

stay safe.

Felix

Points well made Skid; however, it's a balancing act when it comes to national media interviews. Be too forceful and you'll never be called back and have the opportunity to make your case another day to a different audience. Be too placid and you lose your momentum, as well as the audience, and your message never gets seriously considered.

I thought Phil hit the midpoint about right. He just needs to get some rest beforehand so he has some enthusiasm the next time and doesn't come across as someone who just came off an all-night college binge.

paramedic70002

Who was that doing the interview? Whatever his bias, or not, in today's entertainment news media, there will always be interviews like this. They've got to keep it exciting. Besides that, it's his job to challenge his guests. Kind of a point/counterpoint. Plus factor in that there was no Brady-type there to argue, scream and stomp their feet, all in all I think the guy did a great job of prompting Phil to address the point fully without shouting over him. These things have to be wrapped up fast before little Jimmy changes the channel. The interview technique is not unlike a Judge or Justice asking pointed questions to both sides of an issue during oral arguments on appeal cases.

On another note, I just LOVE PVC but he can be a little dry in his delivery (sorry!). Nevertheless I think this was one of his best interviews. VCDL is an all volunteer organization and has no budget for a sexy spokesperson (sorry again PVC!) or hired executive talking head. FWIW I usually cringe whenever Wayne LaPierre talks because he just comes off as cheesy to me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Who was that doing the interview? Whatever his bias, or not, in today's entertainment news media, there will always be interviews like this. They've got to keep it exciting. Besides that, it's his job to challenge his guests. Kind of a point/counterpoint. Plus factor in that there was no Brady-type there to argue, scream and stomp their feet, all in all I think the guy did a great job of prompting Phil to address the point fully without shouting over him. These things have to be wrapped up fast before little Jimmy changes the channel. The interview technique is not unlike a Judge or Justice asking pointed questions to both sides of an issue during oral arguments on appeal cases.

On another note, I just LOVE PVC but he can be a little dry in his delivery (sorry!). Nevertheless I think this was one of his best interviews. VCDL is an all volunteer organization and has no budget for a sexy spokesperson (sorry again PVC!) or hired executive talking head. FWIW I usually cringe whenever Wayne LaPierre talks because he just comes off as cheesy to me.

PVC's strength, IMHO, besides being extremely knowledgeable and well informed, is that he easily adopts the persona of the common man - he is the quite voice of reason - not a threatening personality, but make no doubt but that he is very effective.

I beat drums and blow bugles. Phil says nice song and this is what it means to us - he delivers the message and people are listening.

mk4

PVC's strength, IMHO, besides being extremely knowledgeable and well informed, is that he easily adopts the persona of the common man - he is the quite voice of reason - not a threatening personality, but make no doubt but that he is very effective.

I beat drums and blow bugles. Phil says nice song and this is what it means to us - he delivers the message and people are listening.

+1000

Neplusultra

I thought it was a great interview, pounding the point that it's already allowed in a number of schools without incident as the fearmonger interviewer was positing. Other comebacks could have been; should we not allow students in general to drive because some binge drink? Drinking is not allowed on Campuses in VA, your point in moot. You cannot legally carry while drunk in VA, you point is moot. Etc. Lots of ways to knock down the "Blood in the Streets" hysteria.

Edit: And of course the greatest argument, which may mean little to most, it's a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT guaranteed by the VA Constitution!!!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I thought it was a great interview, pounding the point that it's already allowed in a number of schools without incident as the fearmonger interviewer was positing. Other comebacks could have been; should we not allow students in general to drive because some binge drink? Drinking is not allowed on Campuses in VA, your point in moot. You cannot legally carry while drunk in VA, you point is moot. Etc. Lots of ways to knock down the "Blood in the Streets" hysteria.

Edit: And of course the greatest argument, which may mean little to most, it's a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT guaranteed by the VA Constitution!!!

Be careful with the truth. It's not in style out there, some people won't hear of it :p

Jonesy

Couldn't agree more. For a state (or other) school to strip a person of their basic right to self defense and leave them unprotected is a travesty. The Virginia GA should be ashamed for allowing this to happen especially at the state schools they should have dominion over.

va_tazdad

Pete and Repete

I hung around work and waited until it came on so I could see it.

Phil answered the question from the interviewer and he just repeated the same questions about drunks.

Perhaps he should learn the law that says you can't drink while carrying concealed. Or maybe he should have turned up his hearing aid.

Thank you Phil for stating in a calm professional manner the facts and not saying “I already addressed that question”.

I find it unbelievable that the Commonwealth allows the universities to require you to be a victim with no right to self defense.

Neplusultra

Couldn't agree more. For a state (or other) school to strip a person of their basic right to self defense and leave them unprotected is a travesty. The Virginia GA should be ashamed for allowing this to happen especially at the state schools they should have dominion over.

By what mechanism can the VA state negate this VA Constitutional right? Can the state actually negate the rights it recognizes as God given rights because some unelected administrator decides to do so? Fight, or lose your obvious rights.

sidestreet

Although Phil looked tired...,

he still gave a great interview, and who can blame Phil for being tired? Not me. It's been a "busy" month so far with the Campus Safety programs and the Tech ambush, not to mention all of the "usual" stuff coupled with being in the middle of the holidays, and I'll give him a well deserved pass for looking a little tired.

Great job, President Van Cleave, and thank you for consistently representing us so well for so long!!!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

papa bear

Philip explained in his alert that he is not an early bird, and it was very early for him. i am often amazed how he seems to be all over the state. in my opinion the interviewer did the right thing. he gave the pat objections that we hear from the anti-rights bunch, and IMHO, PVC gave good answers. he did seem to wake up more as he got more into the interview