• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Needing some insight

motomann883

I am looking to buy a new gun and have narrowed it down to 3. S&W m&p 9mm full size, Sig Sauer p250 9mm 4.7" bbl, and the Taruas 24\7 generation 2 9mm 17rd 4.2" bbl. Any opinions good or bad will be appreciated

09jisaac

I am looking to buy a new gun and have narrowed it down to 3. S&W m&p 9mm full size, Sig Sauer p250 9mm 4.7" bbl, and the Taruas 24\7 generation 2 9mm 17rd 4.2" bbl. Any opinions good or bad will be appreciated

M&P is a great gun as far as I can tell. I have never did a torture test on it and I clean it EVERY time I shoot it. But it has never had a failure, at all, with anything that I would consider "useable" ammo. I have had some failure to feed some cheap ammo my brother in law left at my house. The box showed signs clear signs of water damage so I shot them just to send rounds down range. Every 4 or so rounds would eject but not load another. It is easy to find holsters for it (most "glock" holsters fit it), it is reliable, durable and it isn't as ugly as a glock.

I have never once owned or shot a Taurus but I once asked the salesman at my favorite gun store what was his opinion of the "best" 1911. He recommended a taurus for the price but said something along the lines of "don't hold your breath for a good gun" and told me that people frequently have to return the gun to taurus to have small problems fixed on it. I swore that I would never own a taurus until the quality/quality check gets better. The way I see it, if your life depends on it a "small" problem can cost you your life when you could just spend a couple extra hundred dollars to get a better gun.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'll defend Taurus a bit. In recent years they have started doing all of their machining in house which has led to much more reliable guns. I have three Taurus guns (PT1911, PT738, MilProPT140) and they have all been very reliable. If I had to choose between the three you're lookig at I would go with the M&P.

Aknazer

I can comment on Taurus quality as well. I have a PT738 as well and it's a decent gun. I took it to the range and the first time at the range there were no issues. But after I took apart the gun to clean it and reassembled it the gun doesn't like to feed the initial bullet of a magazine. I have to manually push the back part of the barrel down to get that first bullet to feed into the barrel, but when I'm actually shooting the gun this isn't an issue. I'm not sure what happened to cause this issue after cleaning it, but it isn't a carry gun atm so I haven't sent it back to get fixed yet.

Excluding the initial bullet of a magazine issue I've had no FTEs or FTFs with it. I will say that it isn't very accurate, but I blame the accuracy on the sub-3" barrel and it is accurate enough to stop an attacker unless you're in a long range shootout for some odd reason.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have three M&P's (.40S&W, 9mm Pro Series, and a .45ACP with the 4" barrel and standard size frame) and they are fine guns. Excellent ergonomics and very reliable plus the fact that they are natural pointers and as such, tend to have fine practical accuracy. Their magazines can be sensitive to dirt and crud so keep them clean. And in my opinion, their loaded chamber indicator is a joke. But otherwise excellent choices and very easy to tune to your particular preferences. I have modded all of them to meet my needs and they are joys to shoot and carry.

Last edited:

usnvet86

I dont have one but I've never heard anything bad about a sig. Im not a fan of M&P's trigger, but thats just me.

09jisaac

I dont have one but I've never heard anything bad about a sig. Im not a fan of M&P's trigger, but thats just me.

No, its very grainy. But it is more than suited, in my opinion, for a carry arm. I might do something about the trigger if it was a match gun but that is supposedly easily fixed.

motomann883

I bought the M&P 9mm thanks for the advice , my dealer also helped make my mind up ,got the gun 2 mags 3 back straps all new in case for 450.00

09jisaac

I bought the M&P 9mm thanks for the advice , my dealer also helped make my mind up ,got the gun 2 mags 3 back straps all new in case for 450.00

The gun should gun should have came with all of those. And that is about the going rate. I don't think you will regret your decision.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
No, its very grainy. But it is more than suited, in my opinion, for a carry arm. I might do something about the trigger if it was a match gun but that is supposedly easily fixed.

Replace the OEM safety block with the Apex USB and that gritty feeling disappears completely... as in never was there. And yes, the M&P trigger responds fantastically to just a few mods. You would be amazed at the difference.

Last edited:

berngren

My experience with all three as far as reliability and accuracy are concern; SIG, M&P, and then Taurus. Sig because of the longer barrel, and M&P because it shoot flawless. Taurus have the play in trigger that can be tricky.

Eeyore

I own an M&P9 and a Taurus PT111 (which has a lot of commonality with the 24/7 Gen 1). I've handled a P250 but never actually fired one. I would recommend the Sig or S&W over the Taurus, depending on whether you prefer the DAO or SA trigger.

M&P: very good ergos. Ambi slide lock and reversible mag release if you're a lefty. Trigger tends to be gritty, but there are aftermarket fixes for $50-85. Mine is not especially accurate (same size group as the [smaller] PT111) and has had a few failures to feed or extract for reasons unknown. Lacks "second strike" capability of your other two choices. I rate 4 out of 5.

Taurus: I have never had a failure to feed or fire with it. You can tell that the controls (mag release, safety lever, etc.) which are the same as the 24/7 are not very high quality, but they work. Trigger has a rubbery feel, not crisp at all otherwise ergos are fine. Accuracy is good. However, it did require warranty service when a spring broke. I rate 3 out of 5.

P250: the only DAO in your group. The trigger seemed nice (for a DAO) and Sig quality is normally high. Ambi slide lock and reversible mag release for lefties. IMHO, the flexibility of the interchangeable barrels and grips is usually no advantage because of the cost--by the time you've bought 2 barrels, 2 grips, 2 slides, and different-sized magazines for your P250, you could've bought 2 separate guns (an M&P full size + M&P compact, or an XD9sc + XD9 for example). Estimate a 4 out of 5.