Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: new to the fourm abd have lots of Q's

  1. #1
    Regular Member yotetrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    74

    Question new to the fourm abd have lots of Q's

    Just wana start out by saying hello to all my fellow Nevadans. I'm new to the OC fourm and have not OCed yet, except while hunting, trapping, and hiking. I live in the rural areas of Reno but frequent town very often. I realize I have the right to OC and feel I need to do my part and exercise this right.
    My question is can anyone, or everyone, chime in with some tips or pointers before I go out into the populated areas with my Personal Life Protection Equipment?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    Some thoughts, and welcome to the forum.

    o Present a clean and neat appearance (optional);
    o Be polite if stopped by LEOs, but don't give up your rights;
    o Always run a voice recorder when OC-ing in case you need proof of your good behavior, or any LEO or "anti" encounter;
    o Wear a good retention holster;
    o Keep good situational awareness. Note where you're sitting, standing and walking;
    o Be aware of local ordinances;
    o Consider carrying a wallet card with helpful info on the legality of OC-ing.

    HTH, and have a great day.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  3. #3
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by yotetrapper View Post
    Just wana start out by saying hello to all my fellow Nevadans. I'm new to the OC fourm and have not OCed yet, except while hunting, trapping, and hiking. I live in the rural areas of Reno but frequent town very often. I realize I have the right to OC and feel I need to do my part and exercise this right.
    My question is can anyone, or everyone, chime in with some tips or pointers before I go out into the populated areas with my Personal Life Protection Equipment?
    Yep, you are doing what I would suggest first. Read through here and most of your questions will be answered. If you have specific questions ask and they will be answered. Welcome aboard.

    TBG
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 12-12-2011 at 11:40 PM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260
    Try asking very specific questions. Until you ask "THAT" question, you won't know. Read/download the pamphlet that's on here. It's awesome, and I wish I could link...some on here are way better than me though, so expect a link under me....heh

    And practice what you'll do in any given situation. I've been put in a handful, and until you're there, you don't really know what you'll do. Practice just like you do on a range =). The major thing for me was first being very very familiar with my "Personal Life Protection Equipment". And while - secondary - I got a good retention holster. I admit, its been way way way too long on the back burner, I've wanted some training on weapon retention, but...it doesn't take an idiot to know when someone is going for your weapon, you need to fight tooth and nail!


    Familiarize yourself with the laws. Bad guys are bad guys....if someone is trying to kill you, protect yourself. The laws are nice to know...but they're created....nothing is more important than "am I going to die?"

  5. #5
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Some thoughts, and welcome to the forum.

    o Present a clean and neat appearance (optional);
    o Be polite if stopped by LEOs, but don't give up your rights;
    o Always run a voice recorder when OC-ing in case you need proof of your good behavior, or any LEO or "anti" encounter;
    o Wear a good retention holster;
    o Keep good situational awareness. Note where you're sitting, standing and walking;
    o Be aware of local ordinances;
    o Consider carrying a wallet card with helpful info on the legality of OC-ing.

    HTH, and have a great day.
    First welcome yotetrapper.
    Second, I agree with clean and neat appearance. Sure, it is optional good to point that out. In the past, I have been slammed by replies when I said words to the same affect. Looking like slob is a natural ability I often have to fight off. I have found that people appear less concerned about my firearm if I do the neat appearance thing. I try to wear my firearm as if I belong to it not as if it was a haphazard last minute thought. How we influence the public will directly or indirectly affect all gun owners.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Things to know:

    First, ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

    Second, always try to prove that "An armed society is a polite society." By the simple act of carrying a deadly weapon, you are giving up your right to be a *******, irritable or careless. You will be a billboard, representing every other person who carries a firearm. Be the guy in the WHITE hat, the pleasant hero that everyone is happy to see.

    DON'T go to COSTCO! Do some research on last year's shooting in Summerlin and you will see why I turned in my Costco membership and got my money back.

    Sam's Club on Kietzke has no such stupid Victim Disarmament rule. It's 10 miles longer for me to drive, but that's cheap insurance.

    You can't carry in the casinos.

    If anyone asks you to leave PRIVATE PROPERTY, you have to go, and all of the casinos that I know of will throw you out (maybe permanently) if you carry there. Government offices are NOT private property.

    Read back through the messages on this site and you will learn everything you need to know.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostlittlerobot View Post
    Try asking very specific questions. Until you ask "THAT" question, you won't know. Read/download the pamphlet that's on here. It's awesome, and I wish I could link...some on here are way better than me though, so expect a link under me....heh

    sticky for the pamphlet at the top of the Nevada forum listing.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    Things to know:

    First, ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

    Second, always try to prove that "An armed society is a polite society." By the simple act of carrying a deadly weapon, you are giving up your right to be a *******, irritable or careless. You will be a billboard, representing every other person who carries a firearm. Be the guy in the WHITE hat, the pleasant hero that everyone is happy to see.

    DON'T go to COSTCO! Do some research on last year's shooting in Summerlin and you will see why I turned in my Costco membership and got my money back.

    Sam's Club on Kietzke has no such stupid Victim Disarmament rule. It's 10 miles longer for me to drive, but that's cheap insurance.

    You can't carry in the casinos.

    If anyone asks you to leave PRIVATE PROPERTY, you have to go, and all of the casinos that I know of will throw you out (maybe permanently) if you carry there. Government offices are NOT private property.

    Read back through the messages on this site and you will learn everything you need to know.
    DVC good advice however correct me if I am wrong when you say “You can’t carry in the casinos.” You are referring to most casinos do not allow firearms however, no law says you cannot. Therefore, as you say they can only ask you to leave and come back without the firearm. If one does not leave then the property owners only recourse is to have the person trespassed. This would be the same as asking someone to leave because they refused to put a shirt on. I have OCed in a few casinos, if not OCing I am in CCW mode. I have never been a casino without a firearm.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    DVC good advice however correct me if I am wrong when you say “You can’t carry in the casinos.” You are referring to most casinos do not allow firearms however, no law says you cannot. Therefore, as you say they can only ask you to leave and come back without the firearm. If one does not leave then the property owners only recourse is to have the person trespassed. This would be the same as asking someone to leave because they refused to put a shirt on. I have OCed in a few casinos, if not OCing I am in CCW mode. I have never been a casino without a firearm.
    From a legal standpoint, you CAN carry into casinos. A casino, like any other private business, CAN ask/tell you to either disarm or leave, and if told to leave, trespass law is the relevant statute. But, it is not illegal to carry in a casino.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    I'm taking into account that the OP is new to the practice. He doesn't necessarily understand the ins and outs of the law, and isn't prepared yet to deal with the issue from a strict legal standpoint. Until he is comfortable carrying, the last thing he needs is to deal with the rent-a-cops and wannabes employed by the casinos.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    I'm taking into account that the OP is new to the practice. He doesn't necessarily understand the ins and outs of the law, and isn't prepared yet to deal with the issue from a strict legal standpoint. Until he is comfortable carrying, the last thing he needs is to deal with the rent-a-cops and wannabes employed by the casinos.
    NO, what he 'needs' is correct answers to his questions. There is no rational excuse to lie about the law.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  12. #12
    Regular Member jdholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada
    Posts
    488
    Perhaps better advice would be, "Although you can carry in casinos, I wouldn't recommend it until you are more comfortable, as security from several casinos have been known to harass OC."

  13. #13
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    I'm taking into account that the OP is new to the practice. He doesn't necessarily understand the ins and outs of the law, and isn't prepared yet to deal with the issue from a strict legal standpoint. Until he is comfortable carrying, the last thing he needs is to deal with the rent-a-cops and wannabes employed by the casinos.
    Understand the helpful intentions and I agree with most of your posting however, this one has a little bit of a condescending slant to it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    1. When carrying a firearm openly or otherwise, you can not instigate, and you can not escalate. If you act like an ass then use your firearm to defend yourself, a prosecutor may (emphasis added) attempt to prove that it was your intent to bait someone into a confrontation. If you are polite and make every effort to avoid confrontation, or deescalate at every step, it would be hard to convince 12 people that you're a murderer.

    2. Begin saving some money to put a lawyer on retainer ($5,000), a bail/bond fund ($3,000 minimum), and a good emergency fund ($10,000 min. or six months of living expenses). This is a good thing for everyone to do weather they carry a firearm or not, but for those who carry firearms, too often they find themselves in jams they can't afford to get themselves out of. With a moderate attorney's fee of $150/hr your $5000 retainer will only get you about 33 hours of services, so be prepared to owe them after the retainer runs out. Most attorneys will continue to represent you even if your retainer is exhausted. I believe their are ethical reasons for this and that the Bar Assn. requires it, but don't quote me. Don't call your attorney for every little question or burden them with unnecessary chit chat, it's doesn't help your case and just burns through your retainer faster. give them the facts they need to work your case. Also keep in mind that an attorney's job is to assist you in your defense, not to do everything for you. You need to actively participate. You're $3000 bail/bond fund will get you bonded out of a maximum of a $20,000 bail (15%). if you're arrested. You might loose your job or professional licenses until your case if resolved so it's a good idea to have money to live on while you defend yourself.

    The reason I'm telling you all these things about money is that all to often people enter a guilty plea because they don't have the resources to defend themselves. It's a tragedy that our criminal justice system only works if you have money in the bank, but it's what we have now, so set yourself up to be a guy with a dog in the fight. Make sure you can present yourself in such a light that the prosecution believes you have the resources to make their job difficult. Prosecutors are like schoolyard bullies, they'll almost never pick on the strongest kids on the playground.

    3. you should, if not already, have a CCW whether you intend to conceal or not. the biggest reason is school zones. the state doesn't enforce the federal 1000 foot rule, but the feds do. with a CCW, while it is debatable whether the feds have a case on this matter in Nevada, the CCW ends the debate immediately.

    4. Be a good steward to the community. This can be anything from simply being an all around nice person to be around to volunteering your time to various charities. Make it known that people who open carry are good people.

    5. Educate yourself on the law, and the US and Nevada Constitution. Often the police and others will tell you that something is illegal when it's a flat out lie, misunderstanding of the law, our an obsolete law. Some people wrongfully believe that there are places you just can't carry a gun like a bar or a bank. They think this way because in their mind, they believe that there should be a law and that because they believe there should be, they assume there probably is.

    Know the difference between private property, public property and private property open to the public. Just because a place is open to the public doesn't make it public property. A private property owner can ask you to leave their private property, the police can not unless the property owner informs them that you are violating a trespass. and you have refused to leave when ordered to do so. You can not be trespassed from public property for lawful behavior.

    Search and seizure. Engaging in lawful activity can not be used as reason for a warrant-less search and seizure of your person or property. A person is in custody when a reasonable person would believe they were not free to leave; If in doubt, ask, but always assume that when speaking to law enforcement that you are in custody and whet ever you say can and will be used against you; if in doubt, say nothing. Any and all times you are being searched without warrant, make it clear that you do not consent while also making it clear that you will not resist. This is why you should always have a recording device running. If you are on record asking if you are free to leave and have audio of the officer telling you that you are not he can not later claim that you were not in custody and that you voluntarily participated in his investigation. If you are on record stating that you did not consent to a search he can not go in court and say that you permitted him to search your person or belongings.

    Understand that police are authorized to lie about what evidence they have against you to obtain your cooperation or confession. For example; you've been asked to voluntarily come down to the station to be questioned. You're sitting at the end of the officer's desk and he tells you to wait there. He returns with a video cassette and some file folders with your name on it. Do not make the mistake of believing the video cassette contains evidence, it might or it might be a trick. If it did contain evidence that proved you committed a crime, you would have already been arrested. The police do not question people they can already prove are guilty, if they're questioning you it's because they need you to help them convict you. If you've come this far you need to stop talking and request that your lawyer be summoned or be returned to where you were taken into custody and released.

    Let me finish by saying that this little guide goes way beyond the scope of the thread, but it is information you need to know. There are people out there that don't give a good god's damn about you or your rights whose agenda is to end citizen's right to carry firearms. One day you may be the one they have their sights on. You need to know how to recognize when you've become their target and how to handle it.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 12-15-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

  15. #15
    Regular Member yotetrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    74
    This is all some great info, just what I was looking for.

    Nevada Carrier, that is some Very good advice, I'd not thought of that at all or run across it in any other posts. Unfortunately I will not be able to afford anything like that in the near future. I'm sure your intent wasn't to discourage me from oc, although it's kinda in the back of my mind now, so I guess I will just have to be on my very best behavior.

    I do fully understand the casino issue, no need to simple things up for me.... just lay out those laws haha, I've had more than my fair share of legal discussions with game wardons so I know
    how the "interpretation of laws" can go. The important thing is what it Says on paper .

    The pamphlet is awsome, I have a couple on hand now.

    This weekend will be my first time in town OC, Christmas shopping yea, I'll get back to everyone on the where did u carry sticky afterwards.

    Please don't stop with the advice though, it's been great so far, keep it coming.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by yotetrapper View Post
    This is all some great info, just what I was looking for.

    Nevada Carrier, that is some Very good advice, I'd not thought of that at all or run across it in any other posts. Unfortunately I will not be able to afford anything like that in the near future. I'm sure your intent wasn't to discourage me from oc, although it's kinda in the back of my mind now, so I guess I will just have to be on my very best behavior.
    Depending upon your locale, his suggestions should NOT discurage you one bit. But, given the state of Clark County / Las Vegas / N Las Vegas, it is good to be aware of how it CAN go in some places. Living in middle/north nv myself, I do not go to that level.


    Quote Originally Posted by yotetrapper

    I do fully understand the casino issue, no need to simple things up for me.... just lay out those laws haha, I've had more than my fair share of legal discussions with game wardons so I know
    how the "interpretation of laws" can go. The important thing is what it Says on paper
    .

    The pamphlet is awsome, I have a couple on hand now.

    This weekend will be my first time in town OC, Christmas shopping yea, I'll get back to everyone on the where did u carry sticky afterwards.

    Please don't stop with the advice though, it's been great so far, keep it coming.
    Some people make the mistaken assumption that being new to this forum, or new to OC, equates to being completely uninformed.
    Last edited by wrightme; 12-15-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  17. #17
    Regular Member yotetrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    74
    Wrightme, it's all good. Information is like everything else, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    NO, what he 'needs' is correct answers to his questions. There is no rational excuse to lie about the law.
    Where do you see me saying ANYTHING about the law in the whole post?

    He asked for "tips and pointers," not legal advice. I gave him tips and pointers, and even explained what would happen if he carries at a casino.

    You're letting your perceived feud lead you places there's no road.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    Where do you see me saying ANYTHING about the law in the whole post?
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    You can't carry in the casinos.
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    I'm taking into account that the OP is new to the practice. He doesn't necessarily understand the ins and outs of the law, and isn't prepared yet to deal with the issue from a strict legal standpoint. Until he is comfortable carrying, the last thing he needs is to deal with the rent-a-cops and wannabes employed by the casinos.
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC
    He asked for "tips and pointers," not legal advice. I gave him tips and pointers, and even explained what would happen if he carries at a casino.
    You're letting your perceived feud lead you places there's no road.
    No, but if it makes you feel better to believe that, go ahead.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Understand the helpful intentions and I agree with most of your posting however, this one has a little bit of a condescending slant to it.
    It's no more condescending than when I train someone in gun safety and assume that they know nothing, so that _I_ don't miss something that they need to learn.

    If you are walking around the airport where I have my plane, I'm going to warn you about propeller arc, because I don't know what YOU know about it, and the consequences are too serious to take the chance that you haven't thought about it. It's the same with carrying in the casinos. There are few businesses which are so paranoiac about security.

    I'm never "a bit" condescending. When I feel the need to be condescending, there is absolutely no room for doubt in anyone's mind. After all, when you are condescending to someone, it's because you think they're too stupid to get it unless you really lay it on thick.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    No, but if it makes you feel better to believe that, go ahead.
    I'm open to any other explanation for your claim that I lied about the law.

  22. #22
    Regular Member yotetrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    74
    The more I think about it, waiting till this weekend just sounds absurd. Off I go to autozone, OCn for my first time ..in town anyways

  23. #23
    Regular Member jdholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    I'm open to any other explanation for your claim that I lied about the law.
    You claimed that he "can't" carry in casinos. Those were your words re: casinos...the way you put it sounded like it was an absolute rule and it isn't. It is misinformation. You CAN carry in casinos. You MIGHT run into trouble.

    And no you did not explain what may happen if you do carry in a casino...look through our posts again. All you said was that he can't.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by yotetrapper View Post
    Nevada Carrier, that is some Very good advice, I'd not thought of that at all or run across it in any other posts. Unfortunately I will not be able to afford anything like that in the near future. I'm sure your intent wasn't to discourage me from oc, although it's kinda in the back of my mind now, so I guess I will just have to be on my very best behavior.
    please don't think that having that much money in your bank account is a prerequisite of Open Carry. By all means open carry, but you should be working towards that goal.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by jdholmes View Post
    You claimed that he "can't" carry in casinos. Those were your words re: casinos...the way you put it sounded like it was an absolute rule and it isn't. It is misinformation. You CAN carry in casinos. You MIGHT run into trouble.

    And no you did not explain what may happen if you do carry in a casino...look through our posts again. All you said was that he can't.
    Look through MY post again, where I said: "You can't carry in casinos. If anyone asks you to leave PRIVATE PROPERTY, you have to go, and all of the casinos that I know of will throw you out (maybe permanently) if you carry there."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •