• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NHP stop

Lostlittlerobot

So I'm starting a 12 day vacation....tried to leave work yesterday, and my truck wouldn't start! I got a jump, drove to walmart, put a new battery in....and am now on the vaca! But...on the way home from walmart got pulled over. My first pull over since I've been carrying.(except the damn DUI stop I had a hit and run at). It was NHP. I pulled over, hit the hazard lights, took my keys out put on dash, and had my hands on steering wheel. When the officer came up, I said something like "i'm armed, and have it with me, and I have a carry liscense". I meant to say "I have a permit to carry and I have it on me", but I messed up somehow....nerves. He asked where it was, and I answered, 'holstered, 3'oclock, on my belt(was open carry, but that never came up). He asked for my id/reg/insur. I was very deliberate in my moves/speech. I said 'I'm taking off my seat belt with my left hand. I'm going to take my wallet out with my right hand and put it on the dash. I will reach into my glove box to get my registration and insurance and put it on the dash."

He looked at my cards/papers and said have a good night. He didn't even go back to his car to 'run me'. He thanked me for my deliberate manner and intentions, and said be safe. (I asked why he pulled me over, my windshield has a crack, and he said get that fixed asap). This is my first and only warning....I am very grateful! I have had a crumby last few days/weeks...with the burglary, and the stupid PTs decision to bar guns, and my truck blarg! This guy really made a good impression I guess. Yes I'm now off work for a while, and that's a huge motivating factor, but I've never had a warning ever. I've been cited for the stupidest things, like not signalling (400$ ticket). I have a feeling I used to get 'selected' cause I had a blue mohawk and tattoos and such, well into my twenties.... But I had long sleeves on and 'regular hair' so today I'm happy no ticket for the first time ever! And no, I am not going to select how I look to avoid tickets....I do however select how I look for my job (blah!). But this NHP guy was very cool with me, was the shortest stop I've had, and after a really crap day I'm glad it ended as such!

MilitaryMike

Wish you had his badge number so we could call and give good feedback. It's nice to get the bad eggs out, but how do we recognize the good ones?

28kfps

You can if you still want to send an at-a-boy. I had a NHP help me out of a street after I went down on my motorcycle. I was OCing. He never asked for ID, driver’s license and had no problem with my firearm. He did ask me if I was a retired LEO, I am not and of course, I answered no. He asked why the firearm, I told him it is my right, I feel safer with it and no one bothers me, he said well I guess that is the way to be.
I did send an e-mail to the Las Vegas NHP command thanking him and did receive a reply. I did not know his badge or ID however assuming that he would have called the stop location in before he got out of his curser I gave them the time, date, and location.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Wish you had his badge number so we could call and give good feedback. It's nice to get the bad eggs out, but how do we recognize the good ones?

Send a letter to the trooper's Watch Commander, say "I don't know his name, but he deserves recognition." The trooper will have called in the stop, and be easy to figure out who it was.

Also, the word will get around, just as well as if you had the name to give.