• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New tactic from the anti-gun lobby: Gun Rights threaten LEOs!

Repeater

Realizing now that background checks can't possibly work on stopping those Americans who have no disqualifying red flags in their background from getting and misusing guns, it now appears the Hoplophobe Bunch is shifting gears to win over the Law & Order Republicans who rarely say no to cops: Gun Rights are dangerous to law enforcement:

Fresh Va. Tech tragedy renews political gun debate

Us:
"Our agenda is fairly active this year," Philip Van Cleave told The Associated Press on Saturday as students placed flowers at an impromptu memorial to slain officer Deriek Crouse in a parking lot beside Tech's famed football stadium.

Van Cleave's organization, the Virginia Citizens Defense League, and its gun-toting disciples who converge on Capitol Square each winter will lobby to prevent state agencies — including colleges — from banning guns on campus. For Van Cleave, the issue is simple. Free, law-abiding people have a fundamental right guaranteed in the Constitution to carry firearms to defend themselves and their homes.

"Our belief is that you have to protect yourself from crime. It again just reminds everybody that there's some awfully vicious people out there," Van Cleave said.

Them:
Besides the monthly single-pistol limitation and the guns-on-campus initiative, gun-rights forces hope to advance bills that would make it even easier to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons, eliminate state background checks, broaden the legal principle that allows people in their homes to shoot intruders and keep guns of unlimited firepower free of government oversight as long as they are wholly built in Virginia and never taken beyond its borders.

"All of these measures threaten law enforcement. They put law enforcement in danger," said Lori Haas, whose relentless efforts to restrict gun access began after her daughter Emily was shot in the head during Seung-Hui Cho's one-man massacre at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007.

Maybe, Haas says, what matters isn't the number of people slain by those who never should have access to guns, but who those people are — particularly whether they're close to state policymakers.

"Are we going to wait to react when it's one of their colleagues, their loved ones, their family members?" she said. "Frankly, 'how many have to be killed to get their attention' hasn't worked."

"It's just shocking to me how legislators just pander to the leadership to the gun lobby," she said.

Andrew Goddard, whose son Colin was wounded during Cho's 2007 rampage, said it's time lawmakers paid at least as much attention to those who wear badges and face the risk of gun violence every day as they do to pro-gun lobbyists. Perhaps Crouse's slaying gives that message more currency.

"When our police officers go to the General Assembly and say something about public safety, they should listen to them," Goddard said.

So basically, to Goddard and Haas, the lives of badge-wearers are more important than anyone else's, apparently.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
Anyone with more than one brain cell should be able to figure out that if LEO's, who are ALWAYS ARMED, are at risk of being shot, then so are the average citizen's of this country.

Anti-gun people = people with one or less brain cell

This explains everything... :)

mk4

^^^

yep.
it's quite clear that anyone who'd shoot a police officer, a person presumed to be armed and with some level of firearm proficiency training, would have no fear of the disarmed populace. i want no part of being one of the fish in *that* barrel.

when did logical, critical thinking disappear? this cr@p boggles the mind... :mad:

Last edited:

TFred

Yet once again Haas demonstrates what a piece of work she is:

Maybe, Haas says, what matters isn't the number of people slain by those who never should have access to guns, but who those people are — particularly whether they're close to state policymakers.

"Are we going to wait to react when it's one of their colleagues, their loved ones, their family members?"

I have not seen anything this insulting to the integrity of legislators in a long time, to suggest that they only care about the lives and safety of their own friends and family and not at all for their constituents. Every time this lady opens her mouth, her foot ends up inside.

Of course, entirely foreign to her would be the concept that the laws as they are now, and as we hope to change this session, actually do increase safety for everyone, family, friends and relatives of the legislators included.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yet once again Haas demonstrates what a piece of work she is:

I have not seen anything this insulting to the integrity of legislators in a long time, to suggest that they only care about the lives and safety of their own friends and family and not at all for their constituents. Every time this lady opens her mouth, her foot ends up inside.

Of course, entirely foreign to her would be the concept that the laws as they are now, and as we hope to change this session, actually do increase safety for everyone, family, friends and relatives of the legislators included.

TFred

Lori is losing more followers every day. This is just a desperate and pretty stupid move to get something going.

I'm working on a new crusade to keep her busy.
Stay Tuned for the Farm Show Loophole.
You have no idea how many innocent people are killed and injured every year...by chainsaws.:uhoh:

TFred

Lori is losing more followers every day. This is just a desperate and pretty stupid move to get something going.

I'm working on a new crusade to keep her busy.
Stay Tuned for the Farm Show Loophole.
You have no idea how many innocent people are killed and injured every year...by chainsaws.:uhoh:
I would stand in line for the midnight showing of this one! :D

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would stand in line for the midnight showing of this one! :D

TFred

I think that loophole can be plugged:eek:

farm-show-2.gif

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
The thing that consistently surprises me about Ms. Haas (a German name, by the way, "Hawes" is Scottish, and should not be confused with "Haas") - is that her daughter was assaulted in a place that meets her own criteria for public safety. Everyone in the school at the time was unarmed except the assailant, whom I suppose we could agree was acting as an outlaw. The law of the place where her daughter was killed is precisely as she says she wants the world to be. The macabre implication is that at some psychological level, she seeks the death of others similarly situated. I'd sure like to be able to investigate her personal history and find out what happened to her as a child to cause her to be this way.

Marco

badge-wearers are more important than anyone else's

So basically, to Goddard and Haas, the lives of badge-wearers are more important than anyone else's, apparently.

They aren't the first! How do you think H.R. 218 got passed!

Docgmt

No to be taken lightly

A CHP threat to LEO's is from the fantasy land that Haas lives in. That being said; I do not think we should take this new fantasy lightly. The anti's have no base from which to project political power so they are ignored, which ferments more desperation on their part. While this is a desperate attempt to divide the public between 2nd amendment supporters and LEO's they have their "proof" on every TV screen in VA. Far too many movements have used nothing more than smoke and mirrors to push an agenda in the legislature but, more importantly in the court of public opinion. This could be where we are most vulnerable; if the anti 2nd's can get the lie to catch on with the public despite no truth to the claim, the public can and will be swayed to their side ( LEO's side ). The media will repeat this over and over until it become accepted fact and PC ( Political correctness ) will keep many LEO's from speaking up.

Once again the liberals have done what liberals do best LIE to achieve their ends.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A CHP threat to LEO's is from the fantasy land that Haas lives in. That being said; I do not think we should take this new fantasy lightly. The anti's have no base from which to project political power so they are ignored, which ferments more desperation on their part. While this is a desperate attempt to divide the public between 2nd amendment supporters and LEO's they have their "proof" on every TV screen in VA. Far too many movements have used nothing more than smoke and mirrors to push an agenda in the legislature but, more importantly in the court of public opinion. This could be where we are most vulnerable; if the anti 2nd's can get the lie to catch on with the public despite no truth to the claim, the public can and will be swayed to their side ( LEO's side ). The media will repeat this over and over until it become accepted fact and PC ( Political correctness ) will keep many LEO's from speaking up.

Once again the liberals have done what liberals do best LIE to achieve their ends.

That's true and expect them to have a pet LEO or two to speak for them.
We just have to deal with it one at a time.
[video]vimeo;19580169[/video]
[video=vimeo;19580169]http://vimeo.com/19580169[/video]

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

That's true and expect them to have a pet LEO or two to speak for them.
We just have to deal with it one at a time.

[video=vimeo;19580169]http://vimeo.com/19580169[/video]

[video=vimeo;19582947]http://vimeo.com/19582947[/video]

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
One thing that has always amazed, and even irritated me to an extent, is how people can get so worked up and outraged when a police officer is killed in the line of duty but no so much when "ordinary" folk are murdered. To me the murder of an officer is tragic and a very sad thing. But then again, it is also very tragic when ANY innocent party who is murdered. I fail to see where an LEO's life is any more precious or significant that anyone else's life which is lost at the hands of a criminal. To suggest that the life of my wife and daughters is somehow less significant than that of a police officer.... well, I hardly have words for this one.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
One thing that has always amazed, and even irritated me to an extent, is how people can get so worked up and outraged when a police officer is killed in the line of duty but no so much when "ordinary" folk are murdered. To me the murder of an officer is tragic and a very sad thing. But then again, it is also very tragic when ANY innocent party who is murdered. I fail to see where an LEO's life is any more precious or significant that anyone else's life which is lost at the hands of a criminal. To suggest that the life of my wife and daughters is somehow less significant than that of a police officer.... well, I hardly have words for this one.

I've often wondered the same thing.

I think it's because of the chest thumping LEO's do about putting their life on the line for thee and me.
I once pointed out to Novacop that being a LEO was fairly safe compared to Roofing and similar trades. He had his usual hissy fits.

Docgmt

Southernboy

All of them are tragic and “would not happen if we just let Haas have her way”.:banghead: It's the rarity of the event and the media that plays it up. While a number of LEO's were wounded this past weekend, because it was VT the media knew they could make ratings out of it. It also puts a dent in societies idea that these guys are there to keep us safe and if they are not, then who is? ( Yes it is a false premise but there none the less)

Superlite27

This argument never ceases to amaze me. The stupid anti-gun idiots absolutely love to point out how law abiding gun owners are nothing but potential criminals.

The moronic fools can't see the sheer, mind-numbing, stupidity of their own argument:

EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE WORLD who hasn't broken the law yet is a freekin' potential criminal.

It's like saying teen girls can be potential mothers. DUH!......ANY female that was ever BORN is a potential mother.

The way it is phrased makes it seem ominous but has no basis in reality. This is their entire argument in a nutshell. NONE of their arguments have any BASIS IN REALITY. Thier "spooky" boogeyman, and fabricated sound bites exist in a world where the actual, concrete fact of existence is irrelevant. The ONLY thing that matters to them is the "feeling" of safety, the warm fuzziness of appearances, and the comfort of emotional calm.

To them (anti-gunners), if it "feels" safe, if it "looks" nice, and if it doesn't agitate their emotional fear...it HAS to be good.

If it "feels" dangerous, "looks" scary, and causes alarm...is HAS to be bad.

Reality has nothing to do with it. Facts are irrelevant.

wylde007

I fail to see where an LEO's life is any more precious or significant that anyone else's life which is lost at the hands of a criminal. To suggest that the life of my wife and daughters is somehow less significant than that of a police officer.... well, I hardly have words for this one.
A police officer puts his life on the line protecting you, don't you know? Every day he puts on the uniform he doesn't know if he's going to go home after his shift because he's "defending" us. He has made it his work to sacrifice himself for our safety, don't you see?

And if you so much as even suggest that he's nothing more than a municipal revenue collector, well you're just a cop hater and you don't know what they go through every day. You've never "been there" so you don't know and therefor are not entitled to make any observations of their actions.

How dare you suggest that there are bad cops and that the occasional "accidentally" murdered citizen is cause to be untrusting of the entire breed! After all, when serving a no-knock warrant with a SWAT team which makes a convoy detail in Fallujah look undermanned, you can never be too careful, especially relying on a paid informant's (snitch) word! Brawk - OFFICER SAFETY - Brawk.

I would go as far as to say you're unpatriotic if you don't bow down at their feet and lick the soles of their shoes for all of the things they do for you, you ungrateful peasant.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thank God you folks didn't shred me to pieces about my post regarding the murder of police officers. I was NOT doing any sort of bashing of any kind. It's just that I view people's lives as important and significant regardless of what they do for a living... unless, of course, they are criminal types and similar miscreants. I was half expecting after wrote that to get dragged over the coals for being so "calloused" and "uncaring". Good to see others feel the same about those for whom they care deeply.

MSC 45ACP

Thank God you folks didn't shred me to pieces about my post regarding the murder of police officers. I was NOT doing any sort of bashing of any kind. It's just that I view people's lives as important and significant regardless of what they do for a living... unless, of course, they are criminal types and similar miscreants. I was half expecting after wrote that to get dragged over the coals for being so "calloused" and "uncaring". Good to see others feel the same about those for whom they care deeply.

Shred you? Heck no! LEOs, military, fishermen, loggers and farmers (just to name a few) have hazardous jobs. Many people go to work everyday and wonder if they will come home that night. If they live in the USA, they weren't forced into their chosen profession. They all volunteered. They also accept their pay, even if they feel they are underpaid for the work they perform. I firmly believe there are many people in our country that are overpaid: Congressmen, Senators and most senior federal workers.

Bottom Line: We knew the risks when we "signed on" for the job. We knew how much (or how little) we would be paid. We accept a paycheck once or twice a month (or more) for the work performed.

I do feel some lives are worth more than others... I believe the lives of criminals that have committed serious crimes (crimes that harm others) aren't worth paying. Prisoners are PAID in jail. Why? Whatever pay they receive work they perform should go right back to paying for the air they breathe, food they eat and chothes they wear. Is there a "surplus" of cash from the work they have performed? Give it back to the local or state governments. Multiple offenders obviously have some sort of uncurable disease and are a danger to society. Why pay to keep them alive?

Sorry for wandering OT...

Last edited: