• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle travel this holiday

Adamdude04

I don't post much but sure lurk a lot!

I'm about to travel back to CO for the holidays. I'll have my XD40 going with me..

I still have my Colorado drivers license and my new Durango is Texas plated. I know in TX you can conceal carry in vehicle, inform officer of firearm.

So how would this apply to Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado? Most likely I'll lock the gun up in a safe once in CO (lots of little ones roaming the home) so I really just need a information refresh course on travel laws.

I tried looking at the travel map, but it wasn't 100% clear.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
First question so I can start some research for you:

Do you hold a CHP from any state? I so, which one(s)?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you are stopped, be prepared to answer a whole lot of questions about why you are driving on a Colorado DL in a vehicle registered in Texas. Depending on Texas law (presuming that is where you now have your home) your Colorado DL may in fact be invalid. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/movingtotexas.htm says you have 90 days from moving to Texas to apply for a Texas DL and must surrender your out-of-state DL at that time.

If you are not sure what the laws are in the various states you are going to be driving through, your best bet is to travel with your firearm under FOPA's safe passage provision - unloaded, in a locked container located as far away from your reach as is possible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act In a Durango that would probably be behind the seat.

stay safe.

Adamdude04

If you are stopped, be prepared to answer a whole lot of questions about why you are driving on a Colorado DL in a vehicle registered in Texas. Depending on Texas law (presuming that is where you now have your home) your Colorado DL may in fact be invalid. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/movingtotexas.htm says you have 90 days from moving to Texas to apply for a Texas DL and must surrender your out-of-state DL at that time.

If you are not sure what the laws are in the various states you are going to be driving through, your best bet is to travel with your firearm under FOPA's safe passage provision - unloaded, in a locked container located as far away from your reach as is possible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act In a Durango that would probably be behind the seat.

stay safe.

Hmm okay I'll see what kind of lock box I can get. Though that won't help me when filling up at the gas station or at a rest stop taking a leak lol

As for the CO license, my home is in CO. I am in TX for two years for work. My 2nd residence. I bought a new Durango and in TX the dealership handles the registration/plates for the vehicle. It's registered under my name under my CO DL. And my Bronco is still Colorado plated/tagged. Weird.. But all still valid.

Aknazer

First, are you military? States have different laws in regards to your DL if you are military or not. Personally I am an OK resident living in OK with OK tags on my vehicles, but my "expired" UT DL is still valid until 90 days after discharge. So if you are military that could be something for you to look into if you don't want to change your DL over (though having a DL from the state you're living in makes buying handguns easier unless you want to bring a copy of your military orders with you)

Moving on to your actual question. In OK you can CC in your car with a license but must notify a cop that you are carrying when you are arrested, detained, or stopped for a traffic citation. So yes you have to notify, but only in those specific situations (so if you're pumping gas or something and you see a cop or start talking to a cop you don't have to notify unless you have been detained). If you want the actual cite in the law for this I can get it for you when I get home from work.

1245A Defender

well,,,

you seem to have duel stateship..
you should have got a texas permit when you got there, then you would be golden for your trip.
when you go home to visit,,, the place you will live again in two years,,, you should get yourself a
colorado permit while you are visiting.
a texas or colorado permit will each work for the trip, but a texas permit is no good in colorado
unless your residence is in texas,,, but you really are a colorado resident, temporarally living in texas.

study up in here.. handgunlawus

Adamdude04

Perfect! Love to read this kind of stuff :)

I don't have a need for a carry permit. Or one could say in exempt. Doesn't mean that carries over into other states however

hermannr

I don't "need" a permit either, I OC 99% of the time, and unlicensed OC is legal.... but I have one.

They are convient for several reasons, you are just bumping into one of the several.

Just because you don't "need" one, doesn't mean that having one could not be to your advantage at some time.

Bebop

I can't speak for the other states but once you are in Colorado you can carry in your vehicle anyway you want. You can OC or CC and with one in the chamber. A few things to keep in mind, 1) Long rifles cannot have a round in the chamber 2) if you are OC'ing do not step out of your car OC'ing in Denver city and county. It is the only city/couty in the state where you cannot OC.