Thread: 2 students shot, wounded at Texas middle school

2 students shot, wounded at Texas middle school

Anyone have any more details about this story? Apparently, two kids were accidentally shot by hunters on adjacent land? Seems to me like there is something missing here.

http://usat.ly/t5WT42
    Last edited by thebigsd; 12-13-2011 at 02:13 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Notice the comments? Two boys were shot and that is a tragedy, that is for certain. Then everyone blames the guns. This never would have happened if guns were outlawed but most fail to blame the ones at fault. The person pulling the trigger with intent to harm a fellow human, or the one pulling the trigger not knowing what was behind what he/she was aiming at, that is who should be blamed.

If I get in to a car wreck then it was just an "accident". But if I accidently shoot someone then that was "needless" and could have been prevented.

Seems a bit of a stretch to blame hunters to me. But there just isn't nearly enough info..

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Seems to me like there is something missing here.
    You mean besides why there seems to be a significant number of 15-year olds still in the 8th grade?

Kids get shot. Hunters were in fields nearby. Cops questioned hunters (or some of them) and are looking for cartridge (not bullet) cases to compare with chamber and breech (not muzzle) markings of the hunters' rifles to see if the hunters were shooting in those fields nearby. If the doctors recovered bullets from the kids the cops might be able to compare rifling marks with the hunters' guns - but if their ammo was good it should have mushroomed making comparison difficult.

Cops say even if they prove the bullets came from the hunters they have ID'd they still need to figure out whyfor howcome the kids got hit - accident, negligence, intentional?

So, beside definitive answers, which everybody agrees the cops do not yet have, what's missing?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I agree with the one comment that said one shot would have been an accident, but two shots are highly suspicious. I also got several good laughs out of comments such as the one where the woman claimed dove hunters were using buckshot!!

Personal opinion: I don't think it was one of the deer hunters. However it happened, it is a tragic incident that should not have happened.

I would like to know what it meant by
    Trevino said two hunting pastures are within 600 yards of the school.
    Does this mean the hunters were in these pastures? How close do the pastures come to the school? Is the closest fence line 100 yards?

I'm not trying to raise suspecion or anything like that; but that statement gives me the impression, the police have no idea where these guys were at; which brings me to my next thought, how do they not know it wasn't gang related?
    However, Trevino said investigators do not believe the shooting was gang-related.

Just some random thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    I would like to know what it meant by

Does this mean the hunters were in these pastures? How close do the pastures come to the school? Is the closest fence line 100 yards?

I'm not trying to raise suspecion or anything like that; but that statement gives me the impression, the police have no idea where these guys were at; which brings me to my next thought, how do they not know it wasn't gang related?

Just some random thoughts.
    From the description, it sounds like the school was built on the edge of the town and is basically up against farmland on the north and another side.

Either way, if the hunters/pasture being hunted was 600 yards away, then 600x3=1200 which still puts any hunter outside the GFSC of 1000 feet.

Ballistically, most deer rifles will shoot further than the 600 yards, so knowing your backstop is necessary when shooting in most midwestern farmlands ... very few hills/wooded areas to help stop rounds.

Now, according to what was written as far as the LEO investigation, I would not consider the hunters to be negligent, but rather the land owner for not notifying them of the recent change in the addition of the school and where it was located and how they should adjust their shooting lane. If these were lease hunters ... basically, hunters from another area, and not local residents who should themselves have known about the school, etc. And, if the land owner did inform the lease hunters about the changes, then they will have some responsibility about what happened.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    Either way, if the hunters/pasture being hunted was 600 yards away, then 600x3=1200 which still puts any hunter outside the GFSC of 1000 feet.
    600yds=1800 feet.

For Skid,

Things I see missing? YMMV.

Why were the hunters shooting towards the school?
    Were they unaware of their backstop?
    Was it legal to hunt where they were?

I guess I am just looking for more details...
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    From the description, it sounds like the school was built on the edge of the town and is basically up against farmland on the north and another side.

Ballistically, most deer rifles will shoot further than the 600 yards, so knowing your backstop is necessary when shooting in most midwestern farmlands ... very few hills/wooded areas to help stop rounds.

Now, according to what was written as far as the LEO investigation, I would not consider the hunters to be negligent, but rather the land owner for not notifying them of the recent change in the addition of the school and where it was located and how they should adjust their shooting lane. If these were lease hunters ... basically, hunters from another area, and not local residents who should themselves have known about the school, etc. And, if the land owner did inform the lease hunters about the changes, then they will have some responsibility about what happened.
    The caveat is where were the hunters? The artcle points out the fields are withing 600 yards, but where were the hunters in these fields? Was there a tree line between them and the school? Did they have to shoot through it? Was it a 30-30 or a 300 win mag?

You analogy of liability is pretty much on line. Again, a lot depends on the hunters (where they new to the hunting area, had they hunted there last year, or do they live around the area?).

To me, there seems to be a lot of info not given, they may know but aren't disclosing at this time, before they can say it was not gang activity; unless this PR stunt by the LEA.

Just curious. Not wearing my tin foil hat.

So, did the hunters admit to discharging their firearms? I've hunted sometimes for YEARS without firing a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    For Skid,

Things I see missing? YMMV.

Why were the hunters shooting towards the school?
    Were they unaware of their backstop?
    Was it legal to hunt where they were?

I guess I am just looking for more details...

Sorry, I should have added something to indicate a slight tone of sarcasm to my comment about what else was missing. The article made reference/suggestion to ballistic fingerprinting as the technology that would solve the case.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    600yds=1800 feet.
    math was never my strong suit
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

well,,,

something else to think about...

if a hunter aimed at a deer that was 100 yds away, and missed...
    by the time that bullet went 300 more yds, it would hit the ground.

a hunter would have to shoot at an up angle to hit a kid that was 600 yds away.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!