• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Double Edged Knifes

Firearms Iinstuctor

If one gets caught with a true swicth blade you most likely well get charged.

The other kinds of knifes well that depends on where, who and ifs.

One always has the choice of defending with, it is just a tool IE hunting knife ect.

If Iam out building deer stands ect in the woods a large 12 inch bowie ect is most likely a tool. The same knife under the car seat when you get picked up for drunk driving could very well see you charged with CCW. But then what about the axe, hammer ect in the same car northen Wis tools down town Madison.Milw. who knows.

If you pull it out and use as it a weapon who knows.

We need to do away with the what ifs and go to true consitutional carry. IMHO is if you process and are using it for a lawful purpose you can have and process it.

If you grab it and use it unlawfully you get charged. IE you take it and use it to rob a store ect..

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Have Never Carried A Knife Except A Hunting Knife Back In The Early Days

is there honestly a person that doesn't carry some sort of knife on them nowadays??? and aren't most of those knifes closing knifes in some way shape or form, so the knife edge is covered??? i almost wonder if that knife law is along the lines of one of those old but forgotten or not really enforced laws. i mean by that definition, carrying a leatherman or all-in-one tool is illegal, and who doesn't carry one of those nowadays???

I don't carry one. Even in my military days I never carried the TL-29. I kept it in my toolbox. I have a pocket knife or two but don't carry them. I don't have much need to carry a knife around on me. I have worn a hunting knife back in the day but only for hunting or hiking/camping.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Wisconsin defines a true switchblade in §941.24 above and excepts it from legal concealed carry in §175.60(1)(j) above also. Or do you have some other idea of a true switchblade.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Wisconsin defines a true switchblade in §941.24 above and excepts it from legal concealed carry in §175.60(1)(j) above also. Or do you have some other idea of a true switchblade.

I guess I don't understand your Question.

You have spring assited openers that some, not me would like to call a switch blade.

Too me a true switch blade is a knife the meets the defintion in the law.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

§941.24 Possession of switchblade knife.
(1) Whoever ... possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a ... device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

Aknazer

(1) Whoever ... possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by...or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

As every single thing listed in the law that determines what a switchblade is used the word "or" to me it reads as if all it takes is the blade moving to be considered a switchblade. Now if they would have used "and" at any point in there it would be different, but since it doesn't that is how I read the law.

EDIT: quote was editted to cut out all of the "or" options except the movement part in order to show how I was reading the law.

Last edited:

Trip20

Does this knife qualify as a switch blade under that description? It's got an "assisted opening" kicker on the back edge, or it's opened with a flick of the thumb with a thumb stud. It's probably illegal. How retarded.

Last edited:

RR_Broccoli

The other kinds of knifes well that depends on where, who and ifs.

One always has the choice of defending with, it is just a tool IE hunting knife ect.

If Iam out building deer stands ect in the woods a large 12 inch bowie ect is most likely a tool. The same knife under the car seat when you get picked up for drunk driving could very well see you charged with CCW. But then what about the axe, hammer ect in the same car northen Wis tools down town Madison.Milw. who knows.

If you pull it out and use as it a weapon who knows.

We need to do away with the what ifs and go to true consitutional carry. IMHO is if you process and are using it for a lawful purpose you can have and process it.

If you grab it and use it unlawfully you get charged. IE you take it and use it to rob a store ect..

Fall back on "don't talk to police" to help fix that problem. Plus, it always helps (if you do say anything) to have a "I use that at work to open boxes" or "I am a hunter and need it for that". NOT "I defend myself with it."

Your statements (if you make any, avoid it if you can) should be basically that you think of it as a tool and not a weapon. That keeps the "intent" part hard to prove and in the realm of speculation, rather than "You admitted it to the officer." Thus, keeping all those tools you may have from being troublesome. ;)

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

nevinsb

So what about a spring assisted knife, where you push the blade open with your own force, then the spring opens the blade partially, then momentum opens the blade the rest of the way? Or a lot of folding knives which use a lever on the blade to open?

It's been a while since I've seen a "True" switchblade, where the release retains the force of the spring until opened.

bigdaddy1

I used to have a stilletto spring knife. Took it apart to figure out how it worked and could never get it back together again. Bought it at a swap meet many years ago. Last time I went there, none of those vendors were there.:rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I used to have a stilletto spring knife. Took it apart to figure out how it worked and could never get it back together again. Bought it at a swap meet many years ago. Last time I went there, none of those vendors were there.:rolleyes:

At least you didn't loose it in a tragic boating accident. :p

Outdoorsman1

So what about a spring assisted knife, where you push the blade open with your own force, then the spring opens the blade partially, then momentum opens the blade the rest of the way? Or a lot of folding knives which use a lever on the blade to open?

It's been a while since I've seen a "True" switchblade, where the release retains the force of the spring until opened.

Posted earlier in this thread....

QUOTE=Herr Heckler Koch;1666165]Not a switchblade. That is my point.

When I have a moment then I'll string the citations together and add them here. Or you can do your own research.

§175.60(1)(j) "Weapon" means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.

(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer.

Outdoorsman1

DangerClose

Ok here IS "Mine"... Thinkin kinda sorta illegal...So as long as I am carrying my firearm, I guess I won't be carrying this knife.... :banghead:

Yep, no way in hell would I carry that. Heck, it says "spring-assisted" right on the sales page.

And apparently the law is it's illegal to even possess such a thing. I was going to buy a cool little push-button, spring-assisted, (switchblade) little knife with like a 1" blade on it, but then I looked at the law.

Unless someone can give a compelling reason not to worry about it, I wouldn't even want your knife in my house.

And, really, non-spring knives can open incredibly easy anyway.

Man, that's a dumbly-written law. Every knife opens with "a movement."

Outdoorsman1

Yep, no way in hell would I carry that. Heck, it says "spring-assisted" right on the sales page.

And apparently the law is it's illegal to even possess such a thing. I was going to buy a cool little push-button, spring-assisted, (switchblade) little knife with like a 1" blade on it, but then I looked at the law.

Unless someone can give a compelling reason not to worry about it, I wouldn't even want your knife in my house.

And, really, non-spring knives can open incredibly easy anyway.

Man, that's a dumbly-written law. Every knife opens with "a movement."

Well in that case.... Sir, I have no idea what you are talking about.....:eek: ...... :cool: .....:lol:

And.... Snip..
And apparently the law is it's illegal to even possess such a thing.

Which is really scary as these type of knives are available (new) at evey flea market and most "sport shows" I have ever been to...

Just Sayin....

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Vandil

Well in that case.... Sir, I have no idea what you are talking about.....:eek: ...... :cool: .....:lol:

And.... Snip..

Which is really scary as these type of knives are available (new) at evey flea market and most "sport shows" I have ever been to...

Just Sayin....

Outdoorsman1

I bought a really nice butterfly knife collection off a Filipino guy I worked with which now needs to be lost in a tragic boating accident. Duluth\Superior is a funny place as soon as you cross the bay almost every shop sells spring assist\butterfly knives.

Outdoorsman1

I bought a really nice butterfly knife collection off a Filipino guy I worked with which now needs to be lost in a tragic boating accident. Duluth\Superior is a funny place as soon as you cross the bay almost every shop sells spring assist\butterfly knives.

Sadly, all of my butterfly knifes have recently dissapeared. I am thinking as all butterflys do, they have flown south for the winter migration.

Outdoorsman1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sadly, all of my butterfly knifes have recently dissapeared. I am thinking as all butterflys do, they have flown south for the winter migration.

Outdoorsman1

Isn't that the way. You nurture them, keep them dry and properly cared for with shelter and such and at the first opportunity they spread their wings. Hope they keep in touch. You have my condolences.

Outdoorsman1

Grapeshot... Thank you....

You are obvioulsy a man with deep caring and concern for those that have been hurt in the past... Bless You...

I even went so far as to put up a nice butterfly house for them and the still left.... sniff... sniff...

http://www.butterfly-gifts.com/butterfly-house.html

Ok, I can see that I am bordline close to loosing my man card so enough of this silliness (sniff)... back to man stuff... As in the bottom line of my signature.... now thats what I'm talkin bout...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited: