• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local OCers! Introduce yourself!

DWCook

Activist Member
This is just a shot in the dark, but I would like to see if we can get our locals including me to introduce ourselves. This is mostly for the community so we can be like neighbors. (Insert Ned Flanders comment here)

Anyways I am just giving this a shot seeing if this might help with our community. Communication is not lacking here, but maybe we could possibly get the OC community a bit more fired up! You don't have to obviously disclose information you don't want to, this is just a suggestion to help out others so were not aliens to one another.

My names Denton and I am currently a Class A Security Officer for Kansas City, Missouri. I am currently getting ready to go back to school here this January to continue on with my Administrative Justice Degree. My goal is to get onboard with Alaska State Troopers up in Anchorage, AK. Simple as that! I am obviously a fan of firearms and love to go target shooting as much as possible. I am also a prior Air Force veteran, long story short I thought i was just a honorable discharge but not a veteran.

Simple as that! Anyone got any questions reguarding to me just ask! I dont mind! Hopefully this thread will boom a bit.

Mindspark

hello.

Hey, I live right outside manhattan, I started OCing in January of 2011 when taking walks around my neighborhood, it took a lot of guts to start doing it. noone seemed to care at first, it was an sks too, perhaps they thought I was hunting, time went along where I would OC walk every other day perhaps twice a day, soon when summer was started I bought my first ar-15 and started carrying that, I thought it might be an issue, but it is also seen as a patriotic weapon. I got many more looks from old ladies walking their dogs, then the cops started coming by. Either because it was summer and more kids were playing, or because I switched to an "assault rifle", perhaps both, I had a 30 rounder and a bayonet on my sks but that wasnt a problem.

anyways, when I started getting cop visits like once or twice a week, I would have a brief conversation and be on my way, they basically said I could, and they didnt mind, but that people were calling me in because they were worried, the point I was making was making it more socially acceptable to people who support it or dont care, and to inform people who think it as illegal, anyways a bunch of liberal moms got together and had a meeting, and were trying to find a way to stop me. they ended up threating me and my family to lose all privileges to the commons area and the pool, and to bring a bs lawsuit agasint me to try and hastle me into not wanting to go through the time, money and trouble of a short court case. I wrote a letter to the housing area board and said I woulden't do it anymore in the area.

I ended up going to NY shortly after for a few months to work with my uncle. ever since I barely open carried, sometimes I go to pot lake 2 and OC while fishing, a lot of people either stare, don't care, or think its awesome, no complaints so far, but because it is winter I have stopped for a while. Perhaps this summer I will go fishing and hiking more while OCing, I cannot legally own a pistol yet in kansas, so that is why I have done rifles, I don't think most people really mind people open carrying in pottowatomie county. There is my interesting story for you guys, I hope you like jumbled up paragraphes.

Last edited:

Seif5034

hey diddly hi there

Can't really say i'm an OCer because I'm unfortunately without a handgun, and I'm not really into the idea of slinging my "tactical" SKS on my back. On my chest, maybe but then I'd be risking brandishing. I'm brand-new to KS and this is my first time living west of the Mississippi river. I'm currently living in Wakefield. Not too far from Manhattan. If i can ever get some money together i'll pick up a handgun.

PS what did you mean by "not legal to own a pistol yet"? do you need some special permit here?

Last edited:

sha-ul

PS what did you mean by "not legal to own a pistol yet"? do you need some special permit here?
IT must mean he is under 21, no special permit is required to purchase or possess a handgun in KS, or ammo for it other than Federal laws.

Echo4PapaBravo

IT must mean he is under 21, no special permit is required to purchase or possess a handgun in KS, or ammo for it other than Federal laws.

Isn't it just 21 to purchase but 18 to carry? If you got one for your 18th birthday wouldn't you be legal to carry it as long as you are not the one who filled out the FFL paperwork? I could be wrong. I have owned handguns since I was a kid, .22 rugers and such, but I am not positive for OC purposes.

lrsmithwhaley

Hey, I'm Lee, and am new around here. Denton told me about the site the other day when I saw him OCing at Starbucks, and talked with him about it. At first, I was thinking he might be LEO until I noticed that no badge was displayed. A couple of the guys inside were looking at him funny when he left. I don't think that they believed he was actually carrying a gun. :lol: I currently don't have a handgun, but am looking to purchase one soon, and will be open carrying once I am fully aware of the laws. Otherwise, I'll make sure and have CCW for places I can do that at. I'm actually in MO stationed at Whiteman, but travel to the KS side of the border a lot, so some of you will probably see me around.

DWCook

Activist Member
It was great when Lee told me he liked what I was doing and that is what started our conversation! We did both finish our Starbucks before we even left considering we were outside in the bright, and hot parking lot. Hope to run into you again sometime Lee, oh great looking Jeep by the way for a rock crawler :) :) :) (Future Rock Crawler)

kc215

Came over from KSCCW as I am one of those people. I do support OC, and just prefer the CC. And also, being in Lenexa it is frowned upon. I need to add Lenexa to the push as well for changes to their OC ban. I just need to find out where to start.
Chad

marine0300

Lenexa Open Carry

Thank you for posting about Lenexa. I promise we will get to them soon.

Right now there are a couple things in the works which I can’t talk about. So just hold tight for the time being.

Hopefully soon there will be an update.

Thank you for defending the 2nd Amendment!

Marine0300

Mr.40

My name is Shaun and I'm from KCKS. I'm new to the OC world and would like to meet some knowledgable people from the Kansas city area. Any thoughts?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

DWCook

Activist Member
Just read through the forums and jump in conversations of interest! You will learn that researching is your best friend when it comes to laws concerning openly carrying or concealing.

DWCook

Activist Member
Ran into another kind fellow at Oklahoma Joes BBQ off of 119th and Strangline Rd. His name is Mr. Pierce, he said his user name will the "thepierce". We spoke a bit at the BBQ place and he commented and shook my hand on exercising my right on Open carrying. He also brought up a slight situation that occured at Best Buy in Olathe that the police showed up to that involved me. LOng story short, store manager did not know state/city law. Anyways he said he will be registering tonight and also brought up interests on having a club night at the OMB Gun Range. Hopefully he will register and everyone say hi to him please! :) :)

Last edited:

Mr.40

I'm putting together a YES/NO list for cities in ks...i'm having trouble finding olathe's codes...can anyone help thanks

Seif5034

update

I've settled and bought myself a pistol. If I can scrounge up a holster, I'll be OCing this weekend!

As I've read it. Kansas DOES have preemption. The localities have the ability to regulate the manner you carry openly, but any laws taking away the right to actually opencarry are deemed to be void.

I also remember reading someplace that the AG's opinion supports OC but I don't have the source on that one

Copied the following from another thread:

12-16,124
Chapter 12.--CITIES AND MUNICIPALITIES
Article 16.--MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
12-16,124 subsection (2):
12-16,124. Firearms and ammunition; regulation by city or county, limitations. (a) No city or county shall adopt any ordinance, resolution or regulation, and no agent of any city or county shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, transfer, ownership, storage or transporting of firearms or ammunition, or any component or combination thereof. Except as provided in subsection (b) and subsection (a) of K.S.A. 2007 Supp. 75-7c11, and amendments thereto, any such ordinance, resolution or regulation adopted prior to the effective date of this 2007 act shall be null and void.
(b) Nothing in this section shall:
(1) Prohibit a law enforcement officer, as defined in K.S.A. 22-2202, and amendments thereto, from acting within the scope of such officer's duties;
(2) prohibit a city or county from regulating the manner of openly carrying a loaded firearm on one's person; or in the immediate control of a person, not licensed under the personal and family protection act while on property open to the public;
(3) prohibit a city or county from regulating in any manner the carrying of any firearm in any jail, juvenile detention facility, prison, courthouse, courtroom or city hall; or
(4) prohibit a city or county from adopting an ordinance, resolution or regulation requiring a firearm transported in any air, land or water vehicle to be unloaded and encased in a container which completely encloses the firearm or any less restrictive provision governing the transporting of firearms, provided such ordinance, resolution or regulation shall not apply to persons licensed under the personal and family protection act.
(c) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section and subsection (a) of K.S.A. 2007 Supp. 75-7c11, and amendments thereto, no person shall be prosecuted or convicted of a violation of any ordinance, resolution or regulation of a city or county which regulates the storage or transportation of a firearm if such person (1) is storing or transporting the firearm without violating any provision of the Kansas criminal code or (2) is otherwise transporting the firearm in a lawful manner.
(d) No person shall be prosecuted under any ordinance, resolution or regulation for transporting a firearm in any air, land or water vehicle if the firearm is unloaded and encased in a container which completely encloses the firearm.
History: L. 2005, ch. 141, § 10; L. 2007, ch. 166, § 1; May 3.

Last edited:

sha-ul

Seif5034 said:
As I've read it. Kansas DOES have preemption.
Yes, and no. KS has about 3/4 preemption, we are hoping to get this increased to 100% next legislative session starting in Jan2013. If you are interested in assisting this effort, go to http://ksraweb.com/ sign up for the mailing list, better yet, join up& assist the advancement of 2a rights in Ks. They are working on the issue, and it appears that a full preemption law is on their priority list. Membership is cheap, about the cost of 1 box of ammo.

usmcguy34

good day to you

Hello all,
My name is Jason Schultheiss. I am a Marine corp Vet. living in Olathe,Ks. work on Fort Leavenworth. Married and have 4 girls. OC in my Apt. complex, want to everywhere but new to it and still learning the local laws. That about all i got for now.

SixGunCowboy

My name is Marc. I am from Kansas City, Mo. I have been OC'ing in public for quite some time now. Though I have been reluctant to actually wear my weapon into public places until recent. I have recently had one successful visit to Golden Corral, in Olathe, KS.

PotterMP

Homeward bound

Hey I'm Potter,
23 finishing up my second deployment this time in Afghaniland. Live in Manhattan and open carry regularly when I'm home. Grew up in Lawrence Ks.
Should be stateside in a couple weeks and would love to have an OC get together if we can work it.
My main gun is a Springfield XD .40 V10 *ported barrel*. I normally open carry that with my ParaCarry9 concealed as my back up gun.
I also have a Sig Saur Mosquito .22 w/ threaded barrel for plinking
I love shooting, driving and music.
I'm pretty well versed on local statutes for Fort Riley, Junction City, Manhattan, Lawrence and some of the surrounding areas. (MPs getting arrested is bad juju) If you have any questions feel free to ask...If I don't know the answer I can find it.

showme53

Hello to all

Name is Monty and just moved to Manhattan, been reading and looking at the laws, talked to a LEO just other day about OC, Manhattan is legal to OC but Junction City is not. My son and I decided to OC and went to four locations without any incident. HyVee and its convienence store, Dillons and Dollar General. Had a compliment at one place on what I was carrying (Regent 1911 45) son carrys a Rock Island 1911 45. It was a little nerve wracking, thought I would be stopped. I will continue to OC