• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

?

Fallschirjmäger

Do you even have a state-issued identification?
Not a facetious question, honestly :). Most people have drivers licenses, barbers licenses, doctor licenses, home decorating licenses, etc. And you're only required to display a license when performing said licensed activity.

A driving license may be 'identification de facto', but it's not 'identification de jure.'

freeSTATE101

lol yes i do have state id i was just wondering if i was legally obligated to show it if stopped for oc'ing since im new to oc
another question is it legal to own a ballistic vest in PA and/or do you need a special permit or license to do so...?

Curmudgeon

lol yes i do have state id i was just wondering if i was legally obligated to show it if stopped for oc'ing since im new to oc
another question is it legal to own a ballistic vest in PA and/or do you need a special permit or license to do so...?

Yes, you may legally own a ballistic vest in PA, and no licensing or permits are required...

Pennsylvania law...

18 Pa.C.S.§907. (Possessing instruments of crime)

(c) Unlawful body armor.--A person commits a felony of the third degree if in the course of the commission of a felony or in the attempt to commit a felony he uses or wears body armor or has in his control, custody or possession any body armor.

(d) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

“Body armor.” Any protective covering for the body, or parts thereof, made of any polyaramid fiber or any resin-treated glass fiber cloth or any material or combination of materials made or designed to prevent, resist, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knife, cutting or piercing instrument or any other weapon.

Federal law...

United States Law, 18 USC 931, provides that:

(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (b), it shall be unlawful for a person to purchase, own, or possess body armor, if that person has been convicted of a felony that is—(1) a crime of violence (as defined in section 16); or (2) an offense under State law that would constitute a crime of violence under paragraph (1) if it occurred within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do i have to show my id if stopped by a LEO for oc'ing in PA

Starting multiple threads on the same subject doesn't conform to OCDO policy.
Accordingly, merging the 2 threads - please avoid this in the future.

Whoops, my bad. I see you were only doing as suggested and redirecting to the correct state forum. Carry on.

Last edited:

SP101

Campaign Veteran
Way to drive off the noob, Grapeshot!!! ;-)

Allentown Cops know the laws pretty well, concerning OC, since the lawsuit against them from the Home-Depot incident.

They may still try to insist that you show ID, but stand your ground and let them know that they should know better than to ask.

Tell them to review their 2009 MPOETC training literature... Specifically, pages 45 through 51.

http://www.mpoetc.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/mpoetc/7545

jahwarrior

right now, PA is in a state of emergency, until January 8th.

to carry a firearm in PA, openly or concealed, during a state of emergency, you must have a LTCF. therefore, as of this moment, i would say that yes, if a LEO stopped and demanded to see your LTCF because you were open carrying during a state of emergency, you're legally obliged to show it to him.

however, as i'm sure many LEOs aren't even aware of the SOE, i imagine that they won't be demanding your LTCF for that reason. if one does, ask them why they want to see it. unless they specifically state it's because of the SOE, then you may or may not decline to provide it, as i've done at least twice since the SOE was declared. ;)

many people aren't aware that we're under a SOE declaration. the memo is available on the government website, but wasn't released to the press, conveniently.

just to repeat, to carry a firearm in PA during an official state of emergency, you must have a LTCF, regardless of the method of carry.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
right now, PA is in a state of emergency, until January 8th.

to carry a firearm in PA, openly or concealed, during a state of emergency, you must have a LTCF. therefore, as of this moment, i would say that yes, if a LEO stopped and demanded to see your LTCF because you were open carrying during a state of emergency, you're legally obliged to show it to him.

however, as i'm sure many LEOs aren't even aware of the SOE, i imagine that they won't be demanding your LTCF for that reason. if one does, ask them why they want to see it. unless they specifically state it's because of the SOE, then you may or may not decline to provide it, as i've done at least twice since the SOE was declared. ;)

many people aren't aware that we're under a SOE declaration. the memo is available on the government website, but wasn't released to the press, conveniently.

just to repeat, to carry a firearm in PA during an official state of emergency, you must have a LTCF, regardless of the method of carry.

Is the SOE from Aug. 26, 2011 (Irene) still in effect?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
yup. so, it'll be going on four months that we've been under an SOE, in a week or two. and almost no one knows about it.

:uhoh:

That seems [strike]unusual[/strike] [strike]extreme[/strike] [strike]ridiculous[/strike] [strike]absurd[/strike] ludicrous.

Damn, I was almost at a loss for words.

Four (4) months - how much high water and wind damage could you have had? Needing cleanup and repair I can understand, but four months of SOE? Ludicrous!

jahwarrior

That seems [strike]unusual[/strike] [strike]extreme[/strike] [strike]ridiculous[/strike] [strike]absurd[/strike] ludicrous.

Damn, I was almost at a loss for words.

Four (4) months - how much high water and wind damage could you have had? Needing cleanup and repair I can understand, but four months of SOE? Ludicrous!

the rational, jaded side of me says that it's just a ploy to get more federal funding, because PA is broke.

the paranoid side of me that sees conspiracies in a bowl of cereal says something mroe sinister is afoot. for example, i've been saying for weeks that Obama would sign the NDAA when it got to his desk, after clearing the House and Senate. everyone i know said i was crazy, because it would be political suicide. tonight, the White House affirmed they would not be vetoing the bill.

i don't sound so crazy now.