• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc at doctors office or hospital?

Jonathan Hoff

I know if it has metal detectors and such its a no go but what if there isnt?

chances are ill be taking my grandmother today as she is in pain

thanks guys for the info.

-Jonathan

rushcreek2

I have never even entertained the thought of OC'ing into any medical clinic, or doctor's office/waiting room. Common sense should negate any need for consideration of the "legality" issue on this one.

This path will likely lead to being instructed to leave the firearm in vehicle, and the posting of a "NO FIREARMS" sign before the next appointment.

Jonathan Hoff

I have never even entertained the thought of OC'ing into any medical clinic, or doctor's office/waiting room. Common sense should negate any need for consideration of the "legality" issue on this one.

This path will likely lead to being instructed to leave the firearm in vehicle, and the posting of a "NO FIREARMS" sign before the next appointment.

thanks for the heads up. just thought id ask. I dont see why its wrong to oc there but ill contact them and ask.
i wear my military id and badge when i oc so usely its never and issue even with police since i often work with them.

but like i said i thought id ask

rushcreek2

Jonathon - I didn't intend to come across a bit curt in my reply to you.

My reply was based upon how I personally feel about OC'ing in such a sensitive venue.

As to the "legality" question - it is generally a common law issue in the waiting room or private clinic premises, barring the posting of a prohibition at the entrance.

When considering the postings in most doctor's offices regarding no cell phone usage intended to preclude inter-personal issues, and the maintenance of a "comfort-zone" for all patients sharing that space - I just wouldn't go there.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
thanks for the heads up. just thought id ask. I dont see why its wrong to oc there but ill contact them and ask.
i wear my military id and badge when i oc so usely its never and issue even with police since i often work with them.

but like i said i thought id ask

What kind of badge? Are you an LEO? If not, wearing a badge of any kind while not working could get you an impersonation charge.

Jonathan Hoff

I'm not a leo. Im military and its a security badge that i was given by the FBI while I worked with them during the G20 summit in 2009 in Pittsburgh

I was stopped for wearing it once by an internal affairs investigator and there was no issue just stopped me to ask as to why I had one and how I received it. nice guy, called himself "dirty frank"

Last edited:

Jonathan Hoff

just got online. been busy all day,

I took my grandmother to the doctors office today while wearing my leg holster but without the gun.

once my grandmother was talking to the doctor i made my way back to the front of the office and spoke with the receptionist about the rules regarding me openly carrying my firearm.

she was very polite and said it would be fine if i was able to conceal it. i then pointed to my leg holster and said i normally carry it there and it clipped and retained in the holster. she said it was okay.

so i went back out and obtained my firearm and then returned into the office and had no problems.

I recorded audio of the conversation as well as while i was OCing in the office.

so at least i know i can carry while im with my grandmother while im taking her to and while im on there property during a visit.

were both safe and both happy :)

JamesB

I was at my doctor's office OCing yesterday. No one made any issue of it. Neither did they the last time I was there about two months ago. I had to make a mental note that whatever the scale says at my weigh in I get to deduct three pounds, but that was it.

I have never even entertained the thought of OC'ing into any medical clinic, or doctor's office/waiting room.
Me neither, until I went there. Then it was the same as the grocery store or hardware store. Not an issue. No problem.

rushcreek2 said:
Common sense should negate any need for consideration of the "legality" issue on this one.
What the He!! is this?

Is this the same "It's just common sense that no one needs a gun inside a church?" (Unless its New Life)
"It's just common sense that no one needs a gun at a school?" (Unless its VTech)
"It's just common sense that no one needs a gun inside a cafeteria?" (Unless the sign out front says Luby's)

Tell me again where "Common Sense" says that I should not carry.

Because My common sense tells me that if there is no one there to Personally oversee my safety, I just might want to carry there.
rushcreek2 said:

Actually this path will likely lead you to carry more places, and of the staff at the doctor's office becoming more familiar with the possibility that guns can be around people and nothing bad happens.

I have carried to my family doctor's office, my surgeon's office, my dentist's office, my optometrist's office, my chiropractor's, and even to see my urologist.

Never, at any one of these was there any issue.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Common sense should negate any need for consideration of the "legality" issue on this one.

Common sense tells me if it's legal to carry, I should carry. My doctor's office in on a military base, so it's not legal for me to carry. My dentist's office is local, so I carry. Out of deference to their patients and their practice, I CC, but I did stop by one time while OCing to check on an appointment date/time.

My OCing was a non-issue, as it should be.