• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Developing - Monroe OC Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
That's because they follow the same "doctrine" most of us do where it's better to "have it an not need it than to need it and not have it".

Just remember that some MWAG calls are not just for ordinary citizens exercising their rights.

I don't disagree. I was just calling it out to show that the urgent call radio traffic hold was likely for this call like the CAD says.

MadHatter66

I don't disagree. I was just calling it out to show that the urgent call radio traffic hold was likely for this call like the CAD says.

Well using emergency traffic (ET) is a sure way to tell everyone in the area "OH **** COME QUICK............"

So 1 officer can really turn a situation bad in a hurry, and the others that show up on scene do so amped up and ready to go. It can really influence the entire encounter from just a simple drive-by check to rifles and shotguns coming out. What I was getting at was it would seem like the first officer there escalated the whole thing, and everyone else showing up was just following procedure.

I have seen this numerous times with officers over reacting with ET and then you get cops screaming around the city with lights and sirens and getting their adrenaline up before they get on scene. It can turn a good situation bad in a heartbeat.

Dave_pro2a

I think those two guys were being really dumb*... but it's their right to be really dumb and NOT be harassed, intimidated and victimized by the Monroe police department.

*that's my initial judgment made without knowing all the facts. It's possible this was a gunshow weekend and they were simply moving the shotgun from one car to another, so they could share a ride to the show, in which case they would be slightly less dumb, or at least slightly more justified. Still, a case for along gun is generally a good idea when in the city.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I think those two guys were being really dumb*... but it's their right to be really dumb and NOT be harassed, intimidated and victimized by the Monroe police department.

*that's my initial judgment made without knowing all the facts. It's possible this was a gunshow weekend and they were simply moving the shotgun from one car to another, so they could share a ride to the show, in which case they would be slightly less dumb, or at least slightly more justified. Still, a case for along gun is generally a good idea when in the city.

I knew this was coming :).

I personally do not long gun OC and probably never will. It does not fit in my normal daily life. For those that do, its your right I won't say anything.

However, I will partly stand up for this OCer in this case though just because I have already been filled in on some of the back story, which actually started a few weeks ago. The OCer was actually harassed in a separate incident by Monroe PD when he was only carrying a pistol. He may have even been cited for 9.41.270 if I remember the email correctly? I think this was sort of a 'back at you' type response to the PD. While it was not the best choice it was still his right, he might have just not known how to respond. I will talk to him about the correct process to file a complaint etc.

Anyways, I don't have all the details yet as I have not sat down and talked to him but above is my thoughts on why. I am sitting down with him tomorrow to hopefully fully understand the past few weeks for him and the PD.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Clearing for Emergency Traffic is for the most part so that officers who are responding do not have to compete with routine calls coming across the frequency, not like all hands on deck!

MadHatter66

Clearing for Emergency Traffic is for the most part so that officers who are responding do not have to compete with routine calls coming across the frequency, not like all hands on deck!

Not entirely accurate... While its not a help or shots fired type of call, there is not an officer in the area that wouldn't go to the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Any misspellings or words that appear to not make sense could be the result of auto-correct wreaking havoc on what I have typed. I hope that, in context, what I have said makes sense an if not, I hope that it is at least funny and good for a laugh.

Dave_pro2a

I knew this was coming :).

I personally do not long gun OC and probably never will. It does not fit in my normal daily life. For those that do, its your right I won't say anything.

However, I will partly stand up for this OCer in this case though just because I have already been filled in on some of the back story, which actually started a few weeks ago. The OCer was actually harassed in a separate incident by Monroe PD when he was only carrying a pistol. He may have even been cited for 9.41.270 if I remember the email correctly? I think this was sort of a 'back at you' type response to the PD. While it was not the best choice it was still his right, he might have just not known how to respond. I will talk to him about the correct process to file a complaint etc.

Anyways, I don't have all the details yet as I have not sat down and talked to him but above is my thoughts on why. I am sitting down with him tomorrow to hopefully fully understand the past few weeks for him and the PD.

That's why I put a qualifier on there. I don't know the whole story.

I still support their Rights, and will initially believe there were in the right unless proven otherwise. The fact they were NOT arrested kinda proves they were in the right -- and therefore the actions of the Monroe PD is beyond the pale.

I can believe that, and still believe those two OCers were dumb. I can condemn the initial actions, and condemn the LEO reaction... recognize that the former is legal, and the later is abuse of power.

And of course the bottom line is that because I would not do it, and I think it'd dumb, does not mean I should claim it's against the law or should be against the law.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Not entirely accurate... While its not a help or shots fired type of call, there is not an officer in the area that wouldn't go to the call.

Though what I stated is accurate, not all officers will respond to an incident shots fired or otherwise unless dispatched to as the rest of the city still needs coverage as well.
While there might be a desire for all to respond does not make it so, can it happen of course depending on the size of town and amount of officers but I would not venture to say all or the majority would respond as you have described.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
This appears to be more about they went out looking for a conflict and they were obliged.

Drop leg holsters will draw attention but more so a loaded shotgun walking down the street which may make it easier for less then supportive prosecutor to try and apply 9.41.270 "under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

Look at Josh's case, unless it gets overturned has done some damage to the open carry movement and we are still awaiting for the Judges written decision.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
This appears to be more about they went out looking for a conflict and they were obliged.

Drop leg holsters will draw attention but more so a loaded shotgun walking down the street which may make it easier for less then supportive prosecutor to try and apply 9.41.270 "under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

Look at Josh's case, unless it gets overturned has done some damage to the open carry movement and we are still awaiting for the Judges written decision.

They were not charged in this incident. My reference to .270 was to a previous encounter he had when only carrying a pistol, as I re-read the email it was even on his own property.

Bucks Gun Shop

Deleted post as I don't want to compromise the main theme of this thread with my somewhat off topic post...

Sorry gang... Should have read the "basic" rules a little better!!!!

Last edited:

hermannr

Ok guys. I want to get you to think about what you have been saying here...I will put a situation up (never happened but could) for you to think about.

Bucks gun shop is in Monroe? right? so let's say I go to Buck's and decide I cannot live without a nice 870 shotgun he has, so I purchase it, but I don't purchase a case for it...problem is, I have parked 6 blocks away.

I normally OC, and sometime I OC a big Colt revolver...let's say I am now carrying the beautiful 870 down the street in Town Monroe, jsut so I can get to my car. Doesn't matter if it is loaded or not, I still have a long walk.

I am not saying that is what happened...I am saying think about the above happening. \\

Question #1: Is it any business of the Monroe PD wether I have just purchased that shotgun, or I have owned it for 20 years? I am just walking down the street with a shotgun.

Question #2: Is it an business of the Monroe PD wether I have owned that Colt for over 40 years (I have) or I just purchased it, or if I have a CPL (I have) or not. Unlicensed OC is totally legal in WA.

IMHO: The Monroe PD only needed to drive by and observe, contact was not necessary and should not have been made. Maybe officer friendly was bored?

Bucks Gun Shop

Bucks gun shop is in Monroe? right? so let's say I go to Buck's and decide I cannot live without a nice 870 shotgun he has, so I purchase it,

Hermannr: How about we say that you go to Buck's and decide you cannot live without the following:
- 870 Shotgun...
- Colt "Wiley Clapp" .45...
- Rock River Arms Predator in .223 caliber...
- Glock 19 Gen 4...
- Sig P238 BUG...
- A 1,000 rounds for all of them...

So you purchase all of it... (I will throw in a hard case for the 870 to keep you out of trouble!!!! :lol:

FMCDH

Hermannr: How about we say that you go to Buck's and decide you cannot live without the following:
- 870 Shotgun...
- Glock 19 Gen 4...
- Sig P238 BUG...

So you purchase all of it... (I will throw in a hard case for the 870 to keep you out of trouble!!!! :lol:

You need to be throwing in a wheelbarrow for all that if he's parking 6 blocks away. :p

ak56

Campaign Veteran
- 870 Shotgun...
- Glock 19 Gen 4...
- Sig P238 BUG...

You need to be throwing in a wheelbarrow for all that if he's parking 6 blocks away. :p

If he's buying all of that, I think you owe him a ride to his car six blocks away.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.