• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to NM from Michigan

oldbanger

New Mexico is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is increasingly common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality. In addition, New Mexico has an extended domain law which effectively makes your vehicle an extention[sic] of your home. So you may carry openly or concealed in your vehicle.

http://www.opencarry.org/nm.html

State Law New Mexico Statutes

aadvark

NHCGRPR45:

Yeah..., BUT, New Mexico does NOT Allow Firearms-Carry at Alcohol Serving Establishments in as much as Michigan does under Michigan Codified Law 750.234d.

New Mexico REQUIRES Concealed Carry at other than On-Premises Establishments and Generally Prohibits Carry at On-Premises Establishments, whereas, Michigan Requires Open Carry at ALL Establishments Licensed to Deal in Alcohol when The Person is so Licensed.

An Additional Detail to Note is that in New Mexico, The Carry Age is 19, whereas, in Michigan, The Age is ONLY 18.

Also, Michigan ALLOWS Permit holders to Possess Firearms on ALL School Premises and College Premises under Michigan Codified Law 750.237a, so as long as The Firearm is Carried Openly, together with a Permit. New Mexico Prohibits both.

However, as a Plus, New Mexico is MUCH Easier to have a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle, as New Mexico is an 'Extended Domain' Law Jurisdiction, whereas, Michigan is NOT.

aadvark

Last edited:

castiel

New Mexico is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is increasingly common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality. In addition, New Mexico has an extended domain law which effectively makes your vehicle an extention[sic] of your home. So you may carry openly or concealed in your vehicle.

http://www.opencarry.org/nm.html

State Law New Mexico Statutes

Skip those links and just go to the useful stuff:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf

Last edited:

oldbanger

NHCGRPR45: Yeah..., BUT, New Mexico does NOT Allow Firearms-Carry at Alcohol Serving Establishments...

AN ACT RELATING TO FIREARMS; ALLOWING CONCEALED HANDGUNS IN A
RESTAURANT THAT SELLS BEER AND WINE AND DERIVES NO LESS THAN
SIXTY PERCENT OF ITS ANNUAL GROSS RECEIPTS FROM THE SALE OF
FOOD FOR CONSUMPTION ON THE PREMISES

30-7-3.
A. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in an
establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages
consists of carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm on any
premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department
for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages except:..

(4) by a person carrying a concealed handgun
who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license for
that gun pursuant to the Concealed Handgun Carry Act on the
premises of:..

(b) a restaurant licensed to sell only
beer and wine that derives no less than sixty percent of its
annual gross receipts from the sale of food for consumption
on the premises, unless the restaurant has a sign posted, in
a conspicuous location at each public entrance, prohibiting
the carrying of firearms, or the person is verbally
instructed by the owner or manager that the carrying of a
firearm is not permitted in the restaurant;

The effective date of the provisions of this act is July 1, 2010.

http://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/10 Regular/final/SB0040.pdf

NHCGRPR45

AN ACT RELATING TO FIREARMS; ALLOWING CONCEALED HANDGUNS IN A
RESTAURANT THAT SELLS BEER AND WINE AND DERIVES NO LESS THAN
SIXTY PERCENT OF ITS ANNUAL GROSS RECEIPTS FROM THE SALE OF
FOOD FOR CONSUMPTION ON THE PREMISES

30-7-3.
A. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in an
establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages
consists of carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm on any
premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department
for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages except:..

(4) by a person carrying a concealed handgun
who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license for
that gun pursuant to the Concealed Handgun Carry Act on the
premises of:..

(b) a restaurant licensed to sell only
beer and wine that derives no less than sixty percent of its
annual gross receipts from the sale of food for consumption
on the premises, unless the restaurant has a sign posted, in
a conspicuous location at each public entrance, prohibiting
the carrying of firearms, or the person is verbally
instructed by the owner or manager that the carrying of a
firearm is not permitted in the restaurant;

The effective date of the provisions of this act is July 1, 2010.

http://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/10 Regular/final/SB0040.pdf

Ok, so just that I understand if they sell vodka then its a place off limits to me even if I have a CPL? Also, what are the knife laws since I carry a knife as well and is there any restrictions? blade length, AUTO knives carry restrictions? And what about a back-up gun and restrictions on that?? Thanks!!!!

AH.74

Ok, so just that I understand if they sell vodka then its a place off limits to me even if I have a CPL? Also, what are the knife laws since I carry a knife as well and is there any restrictions? blade length, AUTO knives carry restrictions? And what about a back-up gun and restrictions on that?? Thanks!!!!

If the place serves liquor then yes, it is off-limits.

If it only sells liquor for off-site consumption, it is not off limits for permit-holders. CC necessary- no OC allowed.

AFA knives, I'm not aware of length limits but I have read case law which details that auto-knives are illegal. This includes "butterfly" knives.

You are only allowed to CC one gun here. If you have one open and one concealed you are good.

NHCGRPR45

If the place serves liquor then yes, it is off-limits.

If it only sells liquor for off-site consumption, it is not off limits for permit-holders. CC necessary- no OC allowed.

AFA knives, I'm not aware of length limits but I have read case law which details that auto-knives are illegal. This includes "butterfly" knives.

You are only allowed to CC one gun here. If you have one open and one concealed you are good.

So for shopping centers like a grocery store I would have to CC while in the store?

AH.74

Ok is there any place else that is off limits for OC or CC?

The handlgunlaw.us link to the NM file that Castiel provided upthread has everything you need to know. The prohibited locations are clearly spelled out.

castiel

would a fixed blade knife be legal to carry concealed?

The knife laws here are extremely vague:

"any weapon which is capable of producing death or great bodily harm, including but not restricted to any types of
daggers, brass knuckles, switchblade knives, bowie knives, poniards, butcher knives, dirk knives and all such weapons
with which dangerous cuts can be given, or with which dangerous thrusts can be inflicted, including sword canes, and
any kind of sharp pointed canes, also slingshots, slung shots, bludgeons; or any other weapons with which dangerous
wounds can be inflicted; (Switchblades, Gravity Knives, Springs knives are illegal."

I think anything short of a sword is fine. The las cruces police killed someone a couple years ago after he charged them with a sword. Completely justified IMO.

NHCGRPR45

The knife laws here are extremely vague:

"any weapon which is capable of producing death or great bodily harm, including but not restricted to any types of
daggers, brass knuckles, switchblade knives, bowie knives, poniards, butcher knives, dirk knives and all such weapons
with which dangerous cuts can be given, or with which dangerous thrusts can be inflicted, including sword canes, and
any kind of sharp pointed canes, also slingshots, slung shots, bludgeons; or any other weapons with which dangerous
wounds can be inflicted; (Switchblades, Gravity Knives, Springs knives are illegal."

I think anything short of a sword is fine. The las cruces police killed someone a couple years ago after he charged them with a sword. Completely justified IMO.

The way I read it is no knives regardless of intent, I suppose I can live with that since i'll have a firearm, silly law but such are the times, and guns would be in that list as well "or any other weapons with which dangerous wounds can be inflicted"

Drive AROUND Illinois!!

I am very well aware of the hazards of that state! I have already plotted a course around that hostile enviroment. Thank you!