• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What situations do you prepare for to employ deadly force

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Some may not feel this applies to OC but I offer it does as it is highly recommended to use a retention holster, a unit pretty much designed to make it very hard to remove the weapon unless the strong side hand is used.

I would like to hear from folks solutions they have to such issues and situations such as the mean doggie so we can promote planning for such things.

Since I mentioned the first thing, the retention holster, I shifted my bug to weak side as it is no easy task to even reach my SERPA with my left hand. I may not have the 9 or 45, but the 380 beats the heck out of nothing, especially if my strong side arm is disabled. I can get to my primary when I CC as it is not a level 2 retention and I carry it at 4 o clock, I am not good at getting it QUICK, but I can get it out without sweeping myself or breaking the finger guard rule.

What have some of you done and what are some kind of odd situations you have actually planned out?

Thanks for participating.

Badger Johnson

Here's a thought or two.

Let's say one has 10-100 'encounters' with other people per day. If you take 2x10e6 people in the US (not incl kids) that's possibly a billion encounters. And of those how many are random meetings out in the world where you have a self-defense need. IOW, if you're not a LEO or a store owner or a road rager, you can be fairly safe in predicting you'll never encounter a situation requiring a firearm solution (if you stay away from stupid people doing stupid things in stupid places, that is).

In the home, you are more likely to require a firing solution (or maybe a 'warning solution with a firearm) if your home is targeted. In that case you are likely to have a few seconds, maybe 30 to 'get armed up', take cover and begin calling 9-11.

So it makes sense if you buy this hypothetical scenario that needing to be prepared to go all Jason Bourne out there and need to be tactically "running and gunning" is so rare as to be almost non-existent, and you will have plenty of time to get ready to repel borders, the key thing is:
1. You have a gun;
2. You know how to point the little end at the bad parts of the BG's anatomy and land a few shots at close range.

Therefore, I think it's fairly safe to be somewhat causal about wearing a firearm out and about 'on the move' as it were. We do hear about them (attempted muggings, car jackings) but they're so rare that they make the news.

$.02
(Again just offering a hypothetical. You could just as easily argue the other way).

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Therefore, I think it's fairly safe to be somewhat causal about wearing a firearm out and about 'on the move' as it were. We do hear about them (attempted muggings, car jackings) but they're so rare that they make the news.

$.02
(Again just offering a hypothetical. You could just as easily argue the other way).

Well, I would have to argue 100% the other way as it is horrifically inaccurate, and no I do not mean "horrifically" directed at you, I mean ir is horrible that what you are saying is very wrong in my own experience. I have a profession that puts me in contact with a great many people and I must tell you that I "know" meaning I have had multiple conversations with any where from 5 to 10 persons yearly whom die from gunshots for the last ten years, I also "know" five that have indeed killed others during that same time period and no, I do not work for the DOJ, I am a college professor. I know, that means I am stereotypically supposed to automatically become a libtard, but wisdom says learn from it, not hide from it.

Just because it happens so often, it is no longer a "big" news story and thanks to political pressures and corporate interest, much gets little air time at all. A 4 minute story is way outside the norm and if it does not involve a child, a shooting will result in about 1 or 2 minutes of coverage. Frankly, the run time is pretty much dependent upon the income level of the victim. Our boys were dieing in the wars we are fighting and more time was given to Charlie Sheen's girlfriend getting busted for snorting coke, as if that is a surprise or even moderately important to us.

My point, it happens, it happens a whole lot and just because the media does not report it does not mean the risk is gone.

Marc

I have to put my 2 cents in here. Because of the fact that i have family in law enforcement, i listen to my scanner all the time. And i can say for a fact that the only shootings reported in the media around here involve death, or cops. It has gotten so normal here you do not see any news coverage of 90% of the violent crime that happens on a daily basis. That is why I carry everywhere, and I am currently buying my 1st CC gun, a KelTec PF9. Just so i have 2 guns and my knife on me at all times. Most media has now been restricted from reporting all the violence because the reality of it would scare the crap out of the sheeple and make the politicians and lawmakers look bad. So just cuz u dont read about it, see it on tv or hear it on the radio, dont mean it doesnt happen. Becuase it is happening all day every day. Buy a scanner and start listening to all the chatter from the LEOs side and you will know how unsafe this world is.

Firedawg314

I have to put my 2 cents in here. Because of the fact that i have family in law enforcement, i listen to my scanner all the time. And i can say for a fact that the only shootings reported in the media around here involve death, or cops. It has gotten so normal here you do not see any news coverage of 90% of the violent crime that happens on a daily basis. That is why I carry everywhere, and I am currently buying my 1st CC gun, a KelTec PF9. Just so i have 2 guns and my knife on me at all times. Most media has now been restricted from reporting all the violence because the reality of it would scare the crap out of the sheeple and make the politicians and lawmakers look bad. So just cuz u dont read about it, see it on tv or hear it on the radio, dont mean it doesnt happen. Becuase it is happening all day every day. Buy a scanner and start listening to all the chatter from the LEOs side and you will know how unsafe this world is.

I agree, just in the little town I work in, there are reported shooting almost everyday. Luckly 90% of those shootings no one got hit. After living in Latin America for a bit and then moving back to here...wow, I'm surpirse I wasn't CC all the time. As now I work in emergency services... wow... thugs where bad when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's... but it seems that history is trying to repeat itself.

I encourge everyone I can who can apply for a CCW to do so. I'm still trying to get my parents to do it... you would think the careers they had in law enforcement would convince them?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Seems to me the largest difference is the rate of escalation. Used to be fist fights or knife fights but it seems more and more it is straight to guns and just shoot em.

I mean seriously, this last student I lost gets shot in the back by a "friend" because he told him he was too drunk to drive and he wanted out, that deserves 3 bullets in the back? Now that student is in a wheel chair for ever at BEST.

Just seems to me the new way to end a fuss is to pull the blaster and start killing!

It is sad, but it is absolutely true and that was the point of this thread, how and what types of situations are you preparing for these days?

Have you drilled at all on a carjacking response? I know for a fact I am hose if all I have is the bug, it is near IMPOSSIBLE to draw, it requires a different plan than walking the dogs.

Firedawg314

Seems to me the largest difference is the rate of escalation. Used to be fist fights or knife fights but it seems more and more it is straight to guns and just shoot em.

I mean seriously, this last student I lost gets shot in the back by a "friend" because he told him he was too drunk to drive and he wanted out, that deserves 3 bullets in the back? Now that student is in a wheel chair for ever at BEST.

Just seems to me the new way to end a fuss is to pull the blaster and start killing!

It is sad, but it is absolutely true and that was the point of this thread, how and what types of situations are you preparing for these days?

Have you drilled at all on a carjacking response? I know for a fact I am hose if all I have is the bug, it is near IMPOSSIBLE to draw, it requires a different plan than walking the dogs.

That's amazing...that "friends" will do such things... at the same time its not. Who haven't heard of a "friend"; sleeping with your partner, stealing money, setting you up for failure, etc.
I guess the best thing is to try to imagine the worse conditions and prepare for them. Sometimes watching movies help... to ask yourself "what would I do?"

Speaking of "friends"... I knew of this guy for about 30 years... at the time I had two Mustangs... he went with me to a swap meet and I bought a supercharger for dirt cheap. I placed it in my trunk... I was a bit lazy and left it there for two days. Then I had the notion to take it out and bring it into the house. The very next day, my "friend" asked me what I did with the part... I joking by saying its still in the car. In the morning I woke up, my car was broken into! So I called him and I could not catch up with him for several months! That was about 5 years ago and I still can't catch up with him....some friends huh? But I had to look at it this way... its not worth going to jail for. cars can be replaced so can parts... I will let a person steal... hey that's what insurance is for. But if there's a knife/ weapon being used... I will unload my clip!

SPeaking of car jackings....there are a few things I learned when I was station in Latin America
1. NEVER leave yourself boxed in while waiting on a traffic light. yeah, it looks embrassing, but stay a car length if possible from the car infront of you.

2. Make sure your weapon is close enough that you can rest your hand on it. basically if you can do a quick draw! HOnestly, espeically this time of year, my gun rest on my lap. Some cars have the double cup holders and you can place it there, where the handle is point up and the exit barrel is pointing towards the back of the car.

3. Always scan your area as you drive always scan and look if possible 360 degrees. Espeically when stopped. If you get the feeling, have it in your hand. Yeah, some areas are "safer" than others, but when I travel to the city, its always in my hand (if possible).

THis may not be "right"... but if a person where to quickly grab my door handle... they will see my barrel, depending on the move they do next will dictate what will happen...

Last example....there was this one time when I worked a P&G....I just got into my car... and this older guy probably about 55 years old. Quickly approched my car and tried to open the door while stating that he's "late to work and he needs me to take him there!" I quickly used my thumb safety to "off" and he heard and seen it... and said "sorry, I though you could help me out... good day". Crazy huh? But you will see some of the craziest stuff being in the city.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I would agree with most of what you are saying, leave yourself an out in traffic is important, being situational aware of your surroundings is important as well, keep eyes pealed for persons approaching the car. It certainly is a possible attack that flight is the very best defense to as you are likely to have to let the person get WAY WAY to close to you prior to being able to effectively defend yourself as shooting through glass is not reliable at all.

I would rethink leaving your gun in your lap or a cup holder. It needs to be secured better than that IMHO. If you do not think so, smack yourself in the head with it a couple of times as hard as you can, now that is what it may feel like when that thing goes flying around in an accident! They make some pretty nice car holsters that are secured pretty well while being easy to use.

We joke about an unloaded gun being a hammer, but i do not want to be hit in the head with a hammer either if I get into a car accident.

I have seen folks take the cheaper kydex holsters some firearms come with and secure them to consoles or dashes to help with it.

Firedawg314

I would agree with most of what you are saying, leave yourself an out in traffic is important, being situational aware of your surroundings is important as well, keep eyes pealed for persons approaching the car. It certainly is a possible attack that flight is the very best defense to as you are likely to have to let the person get WAY WAY to close to you prior to being able to effectively defend yourself as shooting through glass is not reliable at all.

I would rethink leaving your gun in your lap or a cup holder. It needs to be secured better than that IMHO. If you do not think so, smack yourself in the head with it a couple of times as hard as you can, now that is what it may feel like when that thing goes flying around in an accident! They make some pretty nice car holsters that are secured pretty well while being easy to use.

We joke about an unloaded gun being a hammer, but i do not want to be hit in the head with a hammer either if I get into a car accident.

I have seen folks take the cheaper kydex holsters some firearms come with and secure them to consoles or dashes to help with it.

Yeah, that is a great point to have a holster for the car. I should get one... I'm just so use to have it "right there". Shooting through the glass... that that close range... its really easy. Espeically if you have FMJ rounds. But keep in mind... if its that much of a danger of your life... the glass can be replaced. But if you can... just drive off. Hey I love my cars... but if need be... I will put several holes through my door if I have too....LOL.