• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Sam's Club and Walmart today

REDFIVE48

Do you open carry everywhere you go or do you pick and choose where to carry? Just curious because I'm new to carrying.

I carry everywhere I legally can openly, my decision to OC or CC is mainly dependent on what I'm wearing. Sometimes I'm working or wearing a uniform so that pushes me to CC, but if I'm out running around town for errands and the like, it's usually OC.

dmatting

I carry everywhere I legally can openly, my decision to OC or CC is mainly dependent on what I'm wearing. Sometimes I'm working or wearing a uniform so that pushes me to CC, but if I'm out running around town for errands and the like, it's usually OC.

Same here except for the uniform part. The only reason I would be concealing is because the coat I am wearing is to big to go behind the gun/holster. The carry method is unchanged, though.

dashowdy

I put my gun on after work when I go to pick my daughter up at my grandmothers house. Usually i still have my company shirt on when I am open carrying just because I dont want to have to go home to change it is a waste of gas. Occasionally I do run into people we do business with but so far no one has said anything about it to anyone in my company. What I do on my own personal time is my business no matter what shirt I wear or company logos I have on, my bosses know I cant carry at work.

bc.cruiser

Do you open carry everywhere you go or do you pick and choose where to carry? Just curious because I'm new to carrying.

My version of pick and choose: I pick which gun I'm going to carry. I choose to OC or CC. Being relatively observant, I generally know where I can lawfully carry, so I choose a route that gets me where I wish to go to pick up what I'm after.:lol:
Example: I walked to WM today (4 Mi roundtrip). I picked the S&W for OC (crossdraw at 10 o'clock), and the LC9 got picked for CC (IWB at 2 o'clock). No problems, plenty of people saw the Smith (it's not small); one young guy said "Nice firearm"; one question of "Do you have a permit for that?" Once I made sure the question was about the S&W, I said "No, but I do have a CHP which I have to carry along with ID when I CC, but nothing is required for OC". Several minutes of discussion about carrying followed, and then I headed home. :cool:

Sidenote: You show your location as PA, yet I don't see any post from you on that forum asking these questions. What's with that?:question:

dashowdy

Yea I have had the thought of am I representing my company poorly when I am seen after work open carrying with my shirt on and then I say to myself,hell no, my bosses are avid hunters and so are half of our clientel. Allthough my bosses don't know I open carry, they will find out one day.

chiefjason

I pick and choose, well, sometimes my wife chooses. She does not mind me OC'ing, unless she is with me. She will tolerate it in certain instances. Basically, OC or CC allows me to protect my family. And how I carry will not be a point of argument in our marriage. I could care less how someone carries. I just don't like the government getting too involved in the decision. I like having both options though.

JMcMaster

My version of pick and choose: I pick which gun I'm going to carry. I choose to OC or CC. Being relatively observant, I generally know where I can lawfully carry, so I choose a route that gets me where I wish to go to pick up what I'm after.:lol:
Example: I walked to WM today (4 Mi roundtrip). I picked the S&W for OC (crossdraw at 10 o'clock), and the LC9 got picked for CC (IWB at 2 o'clock). No problems, plenty of people saw the Smith (it's not small); one young guy said "Nice firearm"; one question of "Do you have a permit for that?" Once I made sure the question was about the S&W, I said "No, but I do have a CHP which I have to carry along with ID when I CC, but nothing is required for OC". Several minutes of discussion about carrying followed, and then I headed home. :cool:

Sidenote: You show your location as PA, yet I don't see any post from you on that forum asking these questions. What's with that?:question:

I just found out about this forum and had no idea there was a section for PA, ill have to go check it out. Thank you!

bc.cruiser

I just found out about this forum and had no idea there was a section for PA, ill have to go check it out. Thank you!

After you log in, go to the line (blue letters) Forums/Stories from the states/ and either click on "Forums" to go to the home page, or "Stories..." and pick whichever state you're interested in. Get acquainted with the folks in PA, but you're always welcome here.:cool:

Shimmer

Hickory resident here, as well. I'm looking to start open carrying as well. I have the disadvantage of also being new to firearms as well, so I'm being exceptionally cautious. Maybe the Walmart when I both become comfortable OC'ing, and get a written statement back from Walmart on their policy, as I've heard differing things. When in doubt, get it in writing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hickory resident here, as well. I'm looking to start open carrying as well. I have the disadvantage of also being new to firearms as well, so I'm being exceptionally cautious. Maybe the Walmart when I both become comfortable OC'ing, and get a written statement back from Walmart on their policy, as I've heard differing things. When in doubt, get it in writing.

Wal-Mart will not give you written permission to carry. They may say that they follow state laws, which can be taken a lot of ways - some positive, some negative.

Bottom line - don't ask for permission. Learn the laws yourself, leave if asked to leave private property. Frequently new people will team up with an experienced ol' hand when first venturing out. Also local meet and greets are a good way to cover a lot of material in a comfortable setting.

chiefjason

The only issue I have had at Walmart was resolved in my favor. You will not get a written statement. The "follow state law" was what I was told in the process. It's the only negative issue I have had in the Hickory area. If you are looking into training, check with Springs Road Gun Club. They do NRA first steps, pistol, CHP classes, and private lessons. Welcome aboard from Longview.

Shimmer

Duly noted. One of the reasons I bothered was that because I was under the impression there was a statue stating that a person could be asked to leave a place of business if they were openly carrying a firearm. After spending a bit of time, I honestly have no idea why I had the idea of that. It seems more that those who express a desire for others not to carry weapons into their place of business are, paraphrased, supposed to place a no guns sign in a conspicuous and visible place.

Bit annoyed that I managed to have that all wrong, but eh, it happens.

ArmySoldier22

Duly noted. One of the reasons I bothered was that because I was under the impression there was a statue stating that a person could be asked to leave a place of business if they were openly carrying a firearm. After spending a bit of time, I honestly have no idea why I had the idea of that. It seems more that those who express a desire for others not to carry weapons into their place of business are, paraphrased, supposed to place a no guns sign in a conspicuous and visible place.

Bit annoyed that I managed to have that all wrong, but eh, it happens.

It is private property and they can ask you to leave. But the thing about Wal-Mart is that even if it's the manager asking you to leave, a quick call or email to corporate will straighten out the issue and that person will have a talking to about it. A specific wal-mart store can't make up their own policies on carrying firearms. The only issue I've ever had carrying into Wal-Mart was resolved pretty quickly. There was an older lady as the Wal-Mart greeter, and she made a bit of a fuss about my firearm on my way Out lol. I Suppose I could have just kept leaving, but I talked to the manager nearby so that I could be sure that neither I, or anybody else, would have any problems in the future at that store "atleast with that employee anyway"

As far as other businesses asking you to leave, they're entitled to as well. A lot of times it only takes talking to someone higher up to get the issue resolved, but just remember that if they tell you to leave, that it's best to do so. When it comes to places that just straight out don't allow OC, a lot of us here tend to not give them our money at all lol. It is very very rare for me to be someplace where my firearm isn't allowed on my side. Hopefully someday we'll be more like Virginia and that list of places will shrink even more..

Shimmer

It is private property and they can ask you to leave. But the thing about Wal-Mart is that even if it's the manager asking you to leave, a quick call or email to corporate will straighten out the issue and that person will have a talking to about it. A specific wal-mart store can't make up their own policies on carrying firearms. The only issue I've ever had carrying into Wal-Mart was resolved pretty quickly. There was an older lady as the Wal-Mart greeter, and she made a bit of a fuss about my firearm on my way Out lol. I Suppose I could have just kept leaving, but I talked to the manager nearby so that I could be sure that neither I, or anybody else, would have any problems in the future at that store "atleast with that employee anyway"

As far as other businesses asking you to leave, they're entitled to as well. A lot of times it only takes talking to someone higher up to get the issue resolved, but just remember that if they tell you to leave, that it's best to do so. When it comes to places that just straight out don't allow OC, a lot of us here tend to not give them our money at all lol. It is very very rare for me to be someplace where my firearm isn't allowed on my side. Hopefully someday we'll be more like Virginia and that list of places will shrink even more..

Absolutely. If anything, wearing a firearm does not entitle you to be rude, but instead gives you a greater responsibility to behave respectfully. If someone asks me to leave, I'll do exactly that. It is their right, and my goals are not to make others uncomfortable. Thanks to the previous three posters for shedding some light on this for me.