Thread: FBI advice: what to do if someone's breaking in

Thumbs down FBI advice: what to do if someone's breaking in

From the OCT 2010 issue of Reader's Digest:
    What to do if your home is being broken into
    (though it looks like all the comments are recent)

Donít turn on the lights, says Mark Safarik, a retired FBI profiler... dial 911 immediately... find your carís remote entry device and press the panic button... the loud noise may well frighten the intruder away.
    The vast majority of the comments are variations on "apply lead therapy".
    Only a few real idiots advocating stuff that would land them in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

those comments are priceless

Lol

Wow, some of those people commenting there are a bit over the top. Suprised no one said they would use magic to produce a bazooka and blow the intruder away. Or hope that this was intruder # 25 so they could activate their tactical nuke.

Why would you not turn on the interior or exterior lights to your home? I don't have a alarm or remote for my car in the driveway so that's out. I don't have a problem with calling the police but I will be grabbing my Rem 870 shotgun first. I will defend my home with deadly force and I subscribe to a prepaid legal plan with a progun lawyer (La Armed Citizen Plan) and will let my lawyer answer any questions regarding my actions after a self defense shooting.

Because it diminishes your night vision. It's pretty sound advice to be honest.

check out the other link at the site

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/slidesh...l-you/3/?v=all

twas a good memory jogger of things to check for after service/maintencance folk have been my home...

wabbit

thanks for pointing out the comments...brought a smile...
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 12-14-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Because it diminishes your night vision. It's pretty sound advice to be honest.
    Don't quite think that shooting night vision was the point though
    Last edited by okboomer; 12-15-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Why would you not turn on the interior or exterior lights to your home? I don't have a alarm or remote for my car in the driveway so that's out. I don't have a problem with calling the police but I will be grabbing my Rem 870 shotgun first. I will defend my home with deadly force and I subscribe to a prepaid legal plan with a progun lawyer (La Armed Citizen Plan) and will let my lawyer answer any questions regarding my actions after a self defense shooting.
    Turning on an interior light will put you at a disadvantage. They will be able to see you, know you are home and your location. Plus as has been noted your night vision will be out. Eat more carrots and get night sights for your guns, don't turn on lights.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    Don't quite think that shooting night vision was the point though
    It was what the explanation given in the article.

A light and laser on your PD weapon makes sense. I would not turn on the light until the Coroner arrived with a body bag.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

reason to not turn you lights on, night vision, BG will see you...

several possible reasons to turn your lights on:

Husband/wife/SO/kid forgot/lost their key....It would be nice to see if the person breaking in is actually a BG and not an unfortuate family member before you dust them off with a 12 ga.

Yes, turn the light on and it is very possible the BG will see you, and the BG will also see you are armed...do you really care? You know when the lights will come on, that will be an unexpected surprise to the intruder and most likely catch the BG off guard.

Good regional lighting should allow you to turn lights on it the area of the disturbance, but not highlighting yourself.

again, one size does not fit all situations.

Can you not see well enough at night to tell whether or not the 'intruder' is actually an intruder?

In Australia where firearms are banned and armed self defence is illegal you try and get to your phone and first dial a Pizza, then an Ambulance, then 000.
    If one cannot get out of the house, try to remain quiet and calm and not soil you undies.

Because our police department has been cut back is over worked and understaffed, it might take some time for them to arrive, thats why we dial a Pizza and Ambulance first,hoping their knocking on the door might frighten the intruder away.
    When a criminal invades your home and has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.

My Definition of Gun Control: The idea that dozens of people found dead in the Broadway Cafť, Tasmania, and many also seriously wounded, all while waiting for police, who were called to show up and protect them, is somehow morally superior to having several armed and therefore alive civilian's explaining to police how the attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

This thread makes me think of that Crimestrike video...

WOW....some of those comments are really funny (keyboard jackleggs).......but alarming!

PPM, thanks for the reminder on the video.

Re: Turning On Lights...
    I'm not worried about the BG seeing me. I'm going to be well armed and looking for him. I'm talking about turning on my outside and interior lights so that 1- he knows I'm awake and alert and 2- so I can see the threat easily wether it's outside on the porch trying to kick the door in or if it's inside heading from my livingroom down my hallway.

What to do...?

Last edited by since9; 12-21-2011 at 05:42 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I love those crimestrike videos... I wonder what kind of loads that kid had in the shottie.... someone should have taught him to shoot thru the wall....
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    I love those crimestrike videos... I wonder what kind of loads that kid had in the shottie.... someone should have taught him to shoot thru the wall....
    I thought the exact same thing. But, judging by the actual outcome, he did the right thing. No 16yro should have to have taken another persons life.