• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FBI advice: what to do if someone's breaking in

MKEgal

From the OCT 2010 issue of Reader's Digest:
What to do if your home is being broken into
(though it looks like all the comments are recent)

Don’t turn on the lights, says Mark Safarik, a retired FBI profiler... dial 911 immediately... find your car’s remote entry device and press the panic button... the loud noise may well frighten the intruder away.

The vast majority of the comments are variations on "apply lead therapy".
Only a few real idiots advocating stuff that would land them in prison.

HolyOrangeJuice

Lol

Wow, some of those people commenting there are a bit over the top. Suprised no one said they would use magic to produce a bazooka and blow the intruder away. Or hope that this was intruder # 25 so they could activate their tactical nuke.

sraacke

Why would you not turn on the interior or exterior lights to your home? I don't have a alarm or remote for my car in the driveway so that's out. I don't have a problem with calling the police but I will be grabbing my Rem 870 shotgun first. I will defend my home with deadly force and I subscribe to a prepaid legal plan with a progun lawyer (La Armed Citizen Plan) and will let my lawyer answer any questions regarding my actions after a self defense shooting.

Daylen

Why would you not turn on the interior or exterior lights to your home? I don't have a alarm or remote for my car in the driveway so that's out. I don't have a problem with calling the police but I will be grabbing my Rem 870 shotgun first. I will defend my home with deadly force and I subscribe to a prepaid legal plan with a progun lawyer (La Armed Citizen Plan) and will let my lawyer answer any questions regarding my actions after a self defense shooting.

Turning on an interior light will put you at a disadvantage. They will be able to see you, know you are home and your location. Plus as has been noted your night vision will be out. Eat more carrots and get night sights for your guns, don't turn on lights.

hermannr

reason to not turn you lights on, night vision, BG will see you...

several possible reasons to turn your lights on:

Husband/wife/SO/kid forgot/lost their key....It would be nice to see if the person breaking in is actually a BG and not an unfortuate family member before you dust them off with a 12 ga.

Yes, turn the light on and it is very possible the BG will see you, and the BG will also see you are armed...do you really care? You know when the lights will come on, that will be an unexpected surprise to the intruder and most likely catch the BG off guard.

Good regional lighting should allow you to turn lights on it the area of the disturbance, but not highlighting yourself.

again, one size does not fit all situations.

Jack House

Can you not see well enough at night to tell whether or not the 'intruder' is actually an intruder?

Haz.

In Australia where firearms are banned and armed self defence is illegal you try and get to your phone and first dial a Pizza, then an Ambulance, then 000.
If one cannot get out of the house, try to remain quiet and calm and not soil you undies.

Because our police department has been cut back is over worked and understaffed, it might take some time for them to arrive, thats why we dial a Pizza and Ambulance first,hoping their knocking on the door might frighten the intruder away.

PistolPackingMomma

This thread makes me think of that Crimestrike video...

[video=youtube;ZctqPQciCgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZctqPQciCgo&feature=related[/video]

Redbaron007

WOW....some of those comments are really funny (keyboard jackleggs).......but alarming!

PPM, thanks for the reminder on the video.

sraacke

Re: Turning On Lights...
I'm not worried about the BG seeing me. I'm going to be well armed and looking for him. I'm talking about turning on my outside and interior lights so that 1- he knows I'm awake and alert and 2- so I can see the threat easily wether it's outside on the porch trying to kick the door in or if it's inside heading from my livingroom down my hallway.

HKcarrier

I love those crimestrike videos... I wonder what kind of loads that kid had in the shottie.... someone should have taught him to shoot thru the wall.... ;)

09jisaac

I love those crimestrike videos... I wonder what kind of loads that kid had in the shottie.... someone should have taught him to shoot thru the wall.... ;)

I thought the exact same thing. But, judging by the actual outcome, he did the right thing. No 16yro should have to have taken another persons life.