• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms instructor recovering after shoots own leg

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/211eb414-264e-11e1-b9ae-001871e3ce6c.html

CALEDONIA — A firearms instructor is recovering this week after shooting himself in the leg in Caledonia while training a group of security staff for a shuttered northern Illinois nuclear power plant.

Firearms trainer Anthony “Tony” Scalzo, 40, of Antioch, Ill., was treated and released from Aurora Hospital in Kenosha last week after he reportedly shot himself in the leg sometime before 1:30 p.m. Thursday, according to Caledonia police reports. The incident occurred at Shooter’s Sports Center, 4900 6 Mile Road, while Scalzo was training more than a dozen security staff from Securitas — who work for the decommissioned Zion Nuclear Station, police reports stated.

Read more: http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/211eb414-264e-11e1-b9ae-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1gWIVdkhA

protias

When you are doing basic training of how to handle a firearm, you don't use [live] ammunition until you are at the range.

bigdaddy1

One of the basic rules of firearm safety was broken, otherwise the incident would have never happened. That brings into question the ability of the "trainer" in my opinion. As they say, there are no accidents, only negligence.

TyGuy

"The gun went off while in Scalzo’s holster during transition training."
Hmmmm, I highly doubt that it just went off by itself. My guess would be that the bang button got pressed.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
"It Just Went Off" Is Getting Tiresome.

Isn't it nice that the police and "firearms instructors" can always claim "It just went off"? The article implies that the firearm was a revolver which makes it even more impressive that it "just went off". And...it was in the holster? More than likely it was a semi and he definitely pulled the trigger and shot himself. Why can't these people tell the truth?

So he shoots himself in Racine and then drives with a "through and through" hole to Aurora in Kenosha? Huh? Not too bright all the way around. I wonder how many more training contracts he will get?

mrmike.me

Unless it's your Defensive Firearm.

I will never be unarmed (no live ammunition), even if I am taking a class or teaching one. Because you never know.

No live ammo in the class room is a common instructor rule. If no live ammo is in the room NOBODY can shoot themselves or anything. A firearms classroom is different than any other room you may go to. You have guns out and being handled by novice users. With no live ammo in the room you have ZERO chance of shooting a live round from a gun in the class. I understand not wanting to be unarmed, but sometimes you must because it makes more sense ... unless you shower and swim armed.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Reading the article it seems they were on the range not in the classroom. Apparently he shot himself, didn't tell the staff at Shooters and then drove 25 miles to Aurora in Kenosha. The staff stated they didn't know about it until 30 minutes afterwards. Bright as a blown bulb. Reminds me of the DEA guy that shot himself in the thigh and then tried to continue with the demonstration. Real geniuses out there.

protias

Reading the article it seems they were on the range not in the classroom. Apparently he shot himself, didn't tell the staff at Shooters and then drove 25 miles to Aurora in Kenosha. The staff stated they didn't know about it until 30 minutes afterwards. Bright as a blown bulb. Reminds me of the DEA guy that shot himself in the thigh and then tried to continue with the demonstration. Real geniuses out there.

[video=youtube;AmRN00KbCr8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRN00KbCr8[/video]

AaronS

Unless it's your Defensive Firearm.

I will never be unarmed (no live ammunition), even if I am taking a class or teaching one. Because you never know.

I also "never" go unarmed while teaching. Guess that makes me one of those "BAD" instructor types.

JJC

I was under the impression that any NRA class time was a "no live ammo" in the class room deal. I thought that was an NRA rule.

Please feel free to correct me.

G30Mike

I'm the only one in this room professional enough to handle this Glock foty. BANG!!!
Been ages since I've seen that and to this day makes me lmao!

mrmike.me

I was under the impression that any NRA class time was a "no live ammo" in the class room deal. I thought that was an NRA rule.

Please feel free to correct me.

You are 100% correct. I am an NRA instructor so I follow that rule (and it makes sense to me). Remember that not every instructor is NRA certified. There are other recognized organizations that train and certify instructors. They may have other rules.

tomm1963

Rule to remember: NO LIVE AMMO IN THE CLASSROOM!!!

Shooters allows law enforcement and others to utilize their range for training. I have been there many times while one half of the range is closed to the public and running training sessions.

I have to think this went down in the range, not the class. Still does not instill confidence in the instructor.

Cobra469

Shooters allows law enforcement and others to utilize their range for training. I have been there many times while one half of the range is closed to the public and running training sessions.

I have to think this went down in the range, not the class. Still does not instill confidence in the instructor.

They allow law enforcement but very few others to use their range for instruction. I inquired about it and was shut down and told they would never allow outside instructors to use their range. Only place that didn't have a price.

Not to mention but NRA has a no-live ammunition rule for the classroom. Pretty hard to have it on the range though since NRA courses generally require live fire.

I find it funny Securitas are now training their guards in firearms. When I applied and said I eventually have the desire to be qualified as an armed-security they asked me who I wanted to shoot. Then went on a rant about nobody should ever need a gun and yadda yadda.

Hope the instructor is alright but pretty dumb not to at least tell the staff that it happened and he had to run to the hospital.