Thread: Situational awareness ( or "How paying attention saved my butt")

Situational awareness ( or "How paying attention saved my butt")

On friday nite Lori was still at her office in Mt Vernon waiting for my son to arrive at the bus station from seattle. Well john got off the bus one stop too soon and Lori had to pick him up.

She stopped in a parking lot to program the garmin when she noted another vehicle pull into the lot. This was about 20:00. Her "spidey senses" told her it did not feel right, so she exited the lot.

As she was about to pull into the street she was struck from behind by the other car. Instead of getting out of the vehicle (lori drives a miata) she accelerated.

The other car followed and struck her a second time.

A third strike from behind sent her spinning, but she recovered.

A fourth strike was laid on before she again accelerated away. Flying thru downtown Mt Vernon at speeds to 70mph she was followed by the other car. Lori headed to the state police offices. The other car turned off a few blocks from the police station. An officer was in the lot, in a vehicle when she got there.

When the Mt Vernon police showed, they told lori that a vehicle matching the BGs had just driven into someones house and was in custody. They took paint chips from both vehicles (matched right up). The "drugged up girl" (LEO description) was very violent and went to jail. She will be charged with vehicular assault and other things. The vehicle the BG was driving was stolen.

Lori has recovered with no physical damage. She went back to the parking lot the next day and saw video cameras that may have recorded the initial assault. The owners are reviewing the tapes.

What may have saved her life? Situational awareness. There seems to be a great deal of gang presence in Mt Vernon and the LEOs said it was connected. Be safe.

http://www.teddytactical.com/SharpenBladeArticle/4_States of Awareness.htm

--One time formatting, complements of a Moderator--
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

And some people say random things like that never happen....
    Glad to hear everything turned out okay. Condition yellow has saved my butt more than a few times. Stay safe.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

Wow, glad to hear everything turned out ok-ish...but mainly that your sweet baboo wasn't hurt! Good thing she didn't have her head buried in the sand or who knows what that crazy lady would have done. Does she carry? I can't remember...not that it would have been better than flooring the Miata, but I'm thinking along the lines of if she wasn't able to recover from that spin. Poor Miata though...such a cute little car.

Glad she is OK!

I do have a neg for you though, next time can you use paragraphs? Makes it hard to read when its a single large one. Thx.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Paragraphs.... ok, I can do that. If you ever speak to me in person, I ramble. The bill on the miata will be about US$3500. You have to love the lizard
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Paragraphs.... ok, I can do that. If you ever speak to me in person, I ramble. The bill on the miata will be about US$3500. You have to love the lizard
    Who is footing that bill to fix the car?

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

It starts off with me giving the lizard US$100. They fix the car.

An investigation is initiated by the lizard, finding an assault they send the 100 back to us.
    1st the other driver, no luck there go to
    2nd the owner of the (stolen) car that the BG was driving, no luck there
    3rd The lizard eats it.

Lori had some Bozo back into her (same bumper) in October. No deductable, no worries. great work.

Glad she is safe.

I think this shows an immense amount of self-control, SA, and focus. It's similar to what a highly trained professional driver would do, if not exceeding it. The whole account sounds utterly fantastic.

In fact, you may be married to a secret agent and don't know it (Mr & Mrs Smith, comes to mind)!

Glad she's OK and they caught the person.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Glad to hear she is ok.

I live in Mt. Vernon and like to think its not that bad. But those nut cases are out there for sure. So I carry every day.
    In Feb I am sending my wife,two daughters in law, daughter and neice to a womens hand gun class.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    It just goes to show, "Ya never know."

Glad Lori's okay.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    I think this shows an immense amount of self-control, SA, and focus.
    Also clear thinking under pressure. Bravo.

It's similar to what a highly trained professional driver would do, if not exceeding it. The whole account sounds utterly fantastic.
    Absolutely, especially recovering from a spin and continuing to evade!

She deserves a nice dinner out.

Attacking with a car is justification to use deadly force (just ask any police officer that's done so). Was your wife armed? If so, her car was disabled in one of the ramming's, she would be totally justified in defending herself if the other driver got out and approached her.

If she doesn't "carry" this could be a good opportunity for her to rethink her position.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Well Lori has OCd a bit when she was out with me but she does not normally carry.
    "You need to get your CPL! sez I, I have you to take care of me, says Herself."
    Now that plan is being reworked. The prints are going in for the CPL and the pistol will go with her. all the time.

If she doesn't "carry" this could be a good opportunity for her to rethink her position.[/QUOTE]

I read this thread to my wife this morning, she has been getting more and more comfortable with the idea of carrying herself...maybe sooner than later, a trip to the range may be in order.
    Last edited by hrlysef; 12-15-2011 at 07:57 PM.

hrlysef, we spend a good bit of time at the Custer gun club. If you would like to bring your wife to a range fire with us, PM me. Sometimes it is easier to get into shooting when you go with others. I know Lori would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    hrlysef, we spend a good bit of time at the Custer gun club. If you would like to bring your wife to a range fire with us, PM me. Sometimes it is easier to get into shooting when you go with others. I know Lori would go for it.

Thanks for the invite, I don't get up north nearly as often as I'd like, even if we can't get to the range maybe we could meet up for coffee or something, a friend of mine lives in Bellingham too so one of these days I'll get him out OCing.

Quote Originally Posted by hrlysef View Post
    Thanks for the invite, I don't get up north nearly as often as I'd like, even if we can't get to the range maybe we could meet up for coffee or something, a friend of mine lives in Bellingham too so one of these days I'll get him out OCing.
    It is a nice drive. I made the drive up for coffee a couple months back, had fun.

Update....update...

Lori was contacted by the LEO handling her case. He has reviewed the video of the initial attack and the insurance companies verification of FOUR separate impacts. The ADA is charging her (BG) with "Assault with a deadly weapon"

On another note..... Coffee every sunday, 10:00, Bakerview starbucks.

Glad everyone is well what a strange random attack, are they thinking it was some kind of gang initiation? Another great reason to keep your face out of facebook when your out in the real world
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Tell her she did great!

I read the story to my wife and asked her what she would have done in the same situation, and what if the car had been disabled so she couldn't run like your wife did.

That made her think.

Quote Originally Posted by hrlysef View Post
    If she doesn't "carry" this could be a good opportunity for her to rethink her position.
    I read this thread to my wife this morning, she has been getting more and more comfortable with the idea of carrying herself...maybe sooner than later, a trip to the range may be in order.[/QUOTE]

At Cabelas they have a program called "Women on Target". Classroom in the am, and range time in the pm. She can bring her own gun or use a loaner .22. The main instructor Emily Larson is awsome. If your wife has never shot a gun, then I think the .22 would be best. Then let her work up to a calbier she is comfortable. Like my son started off with a .22 rifle, he is now blasting clays with a 12 GA.

And two thumbs up for Lori!
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 12-16-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com