• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Situational awareness ( or "How paying attention saved my butt")

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
On friday nite Lori was still at her office in Mt Vernon waiting for my son to arrive at the bus station from seattle. Well john got off the bus one stop too soon and Lori had to pick him up.

She stopped in a parking lot to program the garmin when she noted another vehicle pull into the lot. This was about 20:00. Her "spidey senses" told her it did not feel right, so she exited the lot.

As she was about to pull into the street she was struck from behind by the other car. Instead of getting out of the vehicle (lori drives a miata) she accelerated.

The other car followed and struck her a second time.

A third strike from behind sent her spinning, but she recovered.

A fourth strike was laid on before she again accelerated away. Flying thru downtown Mt Vernon at speeds to 70mph she was followed by the other car. Lori headed to the state police offices. The other car turned off a few blocks from the police station. An officer was in the lot, in a vehicle when she got there.

When the Mt Vernon police showed, they told lori that a vehicle matching the BGs had just driven into someones house and was in custody. They took paint chips from both vehicles (matched right up). The "drugged up girl" (LEO description) was very violent and went to jail. She will be charged with vehicular assault and other things. The vehicle the BG was driving was stolen.

Lori has recovered with no physical damage. She went back to the parking lot the next day and saw video cameras that may have recorded the initial assault. The owners are reviewing the tapes.

What may have saved her life? Situational awareness. There seems to be a great deal of gang presence in Mt Vernon and the LEOs said it was connected. Be safe.

http://www.teddytactical.com/SharpenBladeArticle/4_States of Awareness.htm

--One time formatting, complements of a Moderator--

G30Mike

And some people say random things like that never happen....
Glad to hear everything turned out okay. Condition yellow has saved my butt more than a few times. Stay safe.

skiingislife725

Wow, glad to hear everything turned out ok-ish...but mainly that your sweet baboo wasn't hurt! Good thing she didn't have her head buried in the sand or who knows what that crazy lady would have done. Does she carry? I can't remember...not that it would have been better than flooring the Miata, but I'm thinking along the lines of if she wasn't able to recover from that spin. Poor Miata though...such a cute little car.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Glad she is OK!

I do have a neg for you though, next time can you use paragraphs? Makes it hard to read when its a single large one. Thx.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Paragraphs.... ok, I can do that. If you ever speak to me in person, I ramble. The bill on the miata will be about US$3500. You have to love the lizard

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
It starts off with me giving the lizard US$100. They fix the car.

An investigation is initiated by the lizard, finding an assault they send the 100 back to us.
1st the other driver, no luck there go to
2nd the owner of the (stolen) car that the BG was driving, no luck there
3rd The lizard eats it.

Lori had some Bozo back into her (same bumper) in October. No deductable, no worries. great work.

Badger Johnson

I think this shows an immense amount of self-control, SA, and focus. It's similar to what a highly trained professional driver would do, if not exceeding it. The whole account sounds utterly fantastic.

In fact, you may be married to a secret agent and don't know it (Mr & Mrs Smith, comes to mind)! :)

Glad she's OK and they caught the person.

ghosthunter

Glad to hear she is ok.

I live in Mt. Vernon and like to think its not that bad. But those nut cases are out there for sure. So I carry every day.
In Feb I am sending my wife,two daughters in law, daughter and neice to a womens hand gun class.

John Hardin

I think this shows an immense amount of self-control, SA, and focus.
Also clear thinking under pressure. Bravo.

It's similar to what a highly trained professional driver would do, if not exceeding it. The whole account sounds utterly fantastic.
Absolutely, especially recovering from a spin and continuing to evade!

She deserves a nice dinner out. :)

amlevin

Attacking with a car is justification to use deadly force (just ask any police officer that's done so). Was your wife armed? If so, her car was disabled in one of the ramming's, she would be totally justified in defending herself if the other driver got out and approached her.

If she doesn't "carry" this could be a good opportunity for her to rethink her position.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Well Lori has OCd a bit when she was out with me but she does not normally carry.
"You need to get your CPL! sez I, I have you to take care of me, says Herself."
Now that plan is being reworked. The prints are going in for the CPL and the pistol will go with her. all the time.

hrlysef

Banned
If she doesn't "carry" this could be a good opportunity for her to rethink her position.[/QUOTE]

I read this thread to my wife this morning, she has been getting more and more comfortable with the idea of carrying herself...maybe sooner than later, a trip to the range may be in order.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
hrlysef, we spend a good bit of time at the Custer gun club. If you would like to bring your wife to a range fire with us, PM me. Sometimes it is easier to get into shooting when you go with others. I know Lori would go for it.

hrlysef

Banned
hrlysef, we spend a good bit of time at the Custer gun club. If you would like to bring your wife to a range fire with us, PM me. Sometimes it is easier to get into shooting when you go with others. I know Lori would go for it.

Thanks for the invite, I don't get up north nearly as often as I'd like, even if we can't get to the range maybe we could meet up for coffee or something, a friend of mine lives in Bellingham too so one of these days I'll get him out OCing.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the invite, I don't get up north nearly as often as I'd like, even if we can't get to the range maybe we could meet up for coffee or something, a friend of mine lives in Bellingham too so one of these days I'll get him out OCing.

It is a nice drive. I made the drive up for coffee a couple months back, had fun.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Update....update...

Lori was contacted by the LEO handling her case. He has reviewed the video of the initial attack and the insurance companies verification of FOUR separate impacts. The ADA is charging her (BG) with "Assault with a deadly weapon"

On another note..... Coffee every sunday, 10:00, Bakerview starbucks.

fire suppressor

Glad everyone is well what a strange random attack, are they thinking it was some kind of gang initiation? Another great reason to keep your face out of facebook when your out in the real world