Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Did Ceasefire Foundation get cold feet and wimp out on their proposed Open Carry ban?

  1. #1

    Did Ceasefire Foundation get cold feet and wimp out on their proposed Open Carry ban?

    The organization posts its goals here: http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/advocacy

    This is what that had posted on their web page several months ago:

    Our legislative priority for the 2012 state legislative session is to prohibit the UNCONCEALED, OPEN carrying of loaded weapons. It is legal in this state to carry a loaded weapon in FULL VIEW without a permit, even in government buildings such as the state Capitol – and into legislative hearing rooms during a public hearing. OPEN carrying of loaded guns was prohibited in Dodge City during the days of the Wild West and is currently prohibited in such gun-friendly states as Texas, Oklahoma and Florida.

    This is what they currently have posted on the web page:

    Washington CeaseFire believes there are several laws that should be passed to reduce gun violence in Washington State. Those states that have the most restrictive gun legislation have just one-sixth the level of gun violence versus those states with the least restrictive laws, according to the book, “Private Gun, Public Health,” by Dr. David Hemenway of the Harvard School of Public Health. Other states have: closed the gun-show loophole; banned the sale of military-style assault weapons; limited handgun sales to one per month; carefully regulated concealed weapon permits, and banned open carrying of guns. None of those policies apply in Washington state, which ranks among the most loosely regulated states in terms of guns. Washington CeaseFire believe those policies should be adopted to save lives in Washington state.

    In the event that Ceasefire Foundation goes ahead with their plan to try to bus agitators from Seattle to Olympia to push through their proposal to ban open carry, I still call on all gun owners to "Occupy" Ceasefire Foundation's 2012 Chartered Bus to Olympia
    http://www.washingtonceasefire.net/content/view/144/27/

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by George Washington View Post
    The organization posts its goals here: http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/advocacy

    This is what that had posted on their web page several months ago:

    Our legislative priority for the 2012 state legislative session is to prohibit the UNCONCEALED, OPEN carrying of loaded weapons. It is legal in this state to carry a loaded weapon in FULL VIEW without a permit, even in government buildings such as the state Capitol – and into legislative hearing rooms during a public hearing. OPEN carrying of loaded guns was prohibited in Dodge City during the days of the Wild West and is currently prohibited in such gun-friendly states as Texas, Oklahoma and Florida.

    This is what they currently have posted on the web page:

    Washington CeaseFire believes there are several laws that should be passed to reduce gun violence in Washington State. Those states that have the most restrictive gun legislation have just one-sixth the level of gun violence versus those states with the least restrictive laws, according to the book, “Private Gun, Public Health,” by Dr. David Hemenway of the Harvard School of Public Health. Other states have: closed the gun-show loophole; banned the sale of military-style assault weapons; limited handgun sales to one per month; carefully regulated concealed weapon permits, and banned open carrying of guns. None of those policies apply in Washington state, which ranks among the most loosely regulated states in terms of guns. Washington CeaseFire believe those policies should be adopted to save lives in Washington state.

    In the event that Ceasefire Foundation goes ahead with their plan to try to bus agitators from Seattle to Olympia to push through their proposal to ban open carry, I still call on all gun owners to "Occupy" Ceasefire Foundation's 2012 Chartered Bus to Olympia
    http://www.washingtonceasefire.net/content/view/144/27/
    I still think its in there agenda (See bold text in your quote). They simply added more items on there 'to do list', as such they needed to re-word it.

    BTW, does anyone notice how many of those are from CA? Do we know who the head of WCF is, are they from CA?
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 12-14-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    I still think its in there agenda (See bold text in your quote). They simply added more items on there 'to do list', as such they needed to re-word it.

    BTW, does anyone notice how many of those are from CA? Do we know who the head of WCF is, are they from CA?
    http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/who_we_are
    Found the info on their site. Apparently along with a degree from Yale they also give you insight into whether people should have the ability to defend themselves.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/who_we_are
    Found the info on their site. Apparently along with a degree from Yale they also give you insight into whether people should have the ability to defend themselves.
    Is it just me or is it funny that the people that created there site (footer of page linked above), has a URL of http://killitcreative.com.

    SITE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT BY COYNE DESIGN
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    Is it just me or is it funny that the people that created there site (footer of page linked above), has a URL of http://killitcreative.com.

    SITE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT BY COYNE DESIGN
    That is kind of funny. I didn't see that.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Another funny thing.

    I tried searching "Gregory Roberts" on images.Google.com and M1Gunr's photo came up.

    M1, are you Gregory Roberts, the director of wa ceasefire?

    On another note, does anyone actually have his photo?
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 12-14-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    They have a whole whopping 215 followers on facebook, and I am still banned from commenting.

    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/washingtonceasefire
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  8. #8
    Regular Member fire suppressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kitsap County
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by amzbrady View Post
    They have a whole whopping 215 followers on facebook, and I am still banned from commenting.

    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/washingtonceasefire
    You too!?
    Last edited by fire suppressor; 12-15-2011 at 02:33 AM.
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

  9. #9
    Regular Member badkarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Duvall, Washington
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    You too!?
    Me three.

  10. #10
    Regular Member John Hardin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    I still think its in there agenda (See bold text in your quote). They simply added more items on there 'to do list', as such they needed to re-word it.
    I see two possibilities:

    They didn't like the negative attention they were getting about their specific proposal and have decided to soft-pedal it, or they thought their chances of success were poor so they didn't want to be specific about pursuing it and failing and having yet more to be ridiculed about.

    Do not assume they won't be pushing such legislation. They might just be moving it "under the radar"...

  11. #11
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    I like the part about how gun violence is lower where there are more restrictive laws. Whoever wrote that has been drinking too much of his bath water.

    Apparently hasn't compared Washington DC's gun restrictions with THEIR violence rate. Ditto for Chicago, and I leave California, especially Southern CA, to your own interpretation.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,628
    More Guns, Less Crime is a book by John Lott that says violent crime rates go down when states pass "shall issue" concealed carry laws. He presents the results of his statistical analysis of crime data for every county in the United States during 18 years from 1977 to 1994. The book expands on an earlier study published in 1997 by Lott and his co-author David Mustard in The Journal of Legal Studies.[1] Lott also examines the effects of gun control laws, including the Brady Law.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Guns,_Less_Crime

    More Guns, Less Crime Again: Gun Ownership Rises to All-Time High, Violent Crime Falls to 36-Year Low
    http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=206&issue=007
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    I enjoyed reading the part about how most gun crime is not caused by criminals but by distressed and distraught individuals with access to a gun. According to them the American Public is two irresponsible and ruled by emotions in the heat of the moment to be able to have the ability to defend themselves.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hardin View Post
    They might just be moving it "under the radar"...
    It's a great plan, really. They are they going to bully WA FFL dealers to slip guns to drug cartels in Oregon, then use the resulting mayhem to show how more gun laws are needed. Or something.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Quincy, WA
    Posts
    28

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
    Me three.
    I'm not banned... shall I work up a nice rebuttal to their website and post it to their FB wall? In their info bit it says they can delete anything they want if they want. But also say that respectful posts will be left alone. So I need to keep that in mind. It will be like those stupid argumentative essays I had to do in high school lol. This forum is filled with links and info and such that research shouldn't be too hard

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Quincy, WA
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Dain Bramage View Post
    It's a great plan, really. They are they going to bully WA FFL dealers to slip guns to drug cartels in Oregon, then use the resulting mayhem to show how more gun laws are needed. Or something.
    I really hope not...

  17. #17
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    You too!?
    Yeah, Huh... guess Ralph Fallacy dont like me.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbaconator View Post
    I'm not banned... shall I work up a nice rebuttal to their website and post it to their FB wall? In their info bit it says they can delete anything they want if they want. But also say that respectful posts will be left alone. So I need to keep that in mind. It will be like those stupid argumentative essays I had to do in high school lol. This forum is filled with links and info and such that research shouldn't be too hard
    I got banned from "The Brady Complaigners to prevent gun ownership" site also...

    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/bradycampaign
    Last edited by amzbrady; 12-15-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Quincy, WA
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by amzbrady View Post
    I got banned from "The Brady Complaigners to prevent gun ownership" site also...

    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/bradycampaign
    woohoo! I imagine that their website says about the same thing?

    And what exactly were you banned for saying?

  19. #19
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaconator View Post
    woohoo! I imagine that their website says about the same thing?

    And what exactly were you banned for saying?

    I posted some facts and they didnt like that. All of my post's were deleted. They took away my 1st on thier facebook page and want to take away my 2nd on US soil.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  20. #20
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by George Washington View Post
    The organization posts its goals here: http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/advocacy


    This is what they currently have posted on the web page:

    Washington CeaseFire believes there are several laws that should be passed to reduce gun violence in Washington State. Those states that have the most restrictive gun legislation have just one-sixth the level of gun violence versus those states with the least restrictive laws, according to the book, “Private Gun, Public Health,” by Dr. David Hemenway of the Harvard School of Public Health. Other states have: closed the gun-show loophole; banned the sale of military-style assault weapons; limited handgun sales to one per month; carefully regulated concealed weapon permits, and banned open carrying of guns. None of those policies apply in Washington state, which ranks among the most loosely regulated states in terms of guns. Washington CeaseFire believe those policies should be adopted to save lives in Washington state.

    In the event that Ceasefire Foundation goes ahead with their plan to try to bus agitators from Seattle to Olympia to push through their proposal to ban open carry, I still call on all gun owners to "Occupy" Ceasefire Foundation's 2012 Chartered Bus to Olympia
    http://www.washingtonceasefire.net/content/view/144/27/
    It's still there, the legislative session is just ramping up with pre-filing of bills, reintroduction of left overs from last year and organization of committee's and such. This bill can be dropped as a one off item, but may be embedded in a larger legislative intiative to include other items in their agenda.......we continue to watch, wait and listen.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

  21. #21
    Regular Member Baked on Grease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Va.
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    I like the part about how gun violence is lower where there are more restrictive laws. Whoever wrote that has been drinking too much of his bath water.

    Apparently hasn't compared Washington DC's gun restrictions with THEIR violence rate. Ditto for Chicago, and I leave California, especially Southern CA, to your own interpretation.
    What they are doing is taking very specific areas that have restrictive laws, but low population thus low crime rates when compared to cities and their surrounding suburbs to make this conclusion. You'll see them cite State laws for gun control, but only cite rates for areas outside the big cities. They also ignore crime rates when LESS restrictive laws are passed, because they invariably go down, Florida CC being the main example.

    Also, they usually lump accidents and crime together when calling for gun control, but you won't see it till you delve all the way into their studies.

    They also forget to seperate legal guns used in crimes versus illegal guns. Do they really think making it harder for LAC's to acquire guns will stop criminals who already overwhelmingly get guns by ignoring laws already? :shakeshead:

    Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

    "According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

    Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

  22. #22
    Regular Member badkarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Duvall, Washington
    Posts
    330
    I reject your reality and substitute it for my own!

  23. #23
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    Do they really think making it harder for LAC's to acquire guns will stop criminals who already overwhelmingly get guns by ignoring laws already? :shakeshead:

    Sent using tapatalk
    I think you are presuming that they actually want to reduce gun crime as opposed to reducing gun ownership....
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

  24. #24
    Regular Member John Hardin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaconator View Post
    But also say that respectful posts will be left alone.
    Good luck, but I wager you will find that anything that disagrees with them or tries to use statistical data to prove their statements are in error is automatically classified as "disrespectful".

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaconator View Post
    I really hope not...
    Hey, it worked so well for the DOJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •