• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did Ceasefire Foundation get cold feet and wimp out on their proposed Open Carry ban?

George Washington

The organization posts its goals here: http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/advocacy

This is what that had posted on their web page several months ago:

Our legislative priority for the 2012 state legislative session is to prohibit the UNCONCEALED, OPEN carrying of loaded weapons. It is legal in this state to carry a loaded weapon in FULL VIEW without a permit, even in government buildings such as the state Capitol – and into legislative hearing rooms during a public hearing. OPEN carrying of loaded guns was prohibited in Dodge City during the days of the Wild West and is currently prohibited in such gun-friendly states as Texas, Oklahoma and Florida.

This is what they currently have posted on the web page:

Washington CeaseFire believes there are several laws that should be passed to reduce gun violence in Washington State. Those states that have the most restrictive gun legislation have just one-sixth the level of gun violence versus those states with the least restrictive laws, according to the book, “Private Gun, Public Health,” by Dr. David Hemenway of the Harvard School of Public Health. Other states have: closed the gun-show loophole; banned the sale of military-style assault weapons; limited handgun sales to one per month; carefully regulated concealed weapon permits, and banned open carrying of guns. None of those policies apply in Washington state, which ranks among the most loosely regulated states in terms of guns. Washington CeaseFire believe those policies should be adopted to save lives in Washington state.

In the event that Ceasefire Foundation goes ahead with their plan to try to bus agitators from Seattle to Olympia to push through their proposal to ban open carry, I still call on all gun owners to "Occupy" Ceasefire Foundation's 2012 Chartered Bus to Olympia
http://www.washingtonceasefire.net/content/view/144/27/

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
The organization posts its goals here: http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/advocacy

This is what that had posted on their web page several months ago:

Our legislative priority for the 2012 state legislative session is to prohibit the UNCONCEALED, OPEN carrying of loaded weapons. It is legal in this state to carry a loaded weapon in FULL VIEW without a permit, even in government buildings such as the state Capitol – and into legislative hearing rooms during a public hearing. OPEN carrying of loaded guns was prohibited in Dodge City during the days of the Wild West and is currently prohibited in such gun-friendly states as Texas, Oklahoma and Florida.

Washington CeaseFire believes there are several laws that should be passed to reduce gun violence in Washington State. Those states that have the most restrictive gun legislation have just one-sixth the level of gun violence versus those states with the least restrictive laws, according to the book, “Private Gun, Public Health,” by Dr. David Hemenway of the Harvard School of Public Health. Other states have: closed the gun-show loophole; banned the sale of military-style assault weapons; limited handgun sales to one per month; carefully regulated concealed weapon permits, and banned open carrying of guns. None of those policies apply in Washington state, which ranks among the most loosely regulated states in terms of guns. Washington CeaseFire believe those policies should be adopted to save lives in Washington state.

In the event that Ceasefire Foundation goes ahead with their plan to try to bus agitators from Seattle to Olympia to push through their proposal to ban open carry, I still call on all gun owners to "Occupy" Ceasefire Foundation's 2012 Chartered Bus to Olympia

I still think its in there agenda (See bold text in your quote). They simply added more items on there 'to do list', as such they needed to re-word it.

BTW, does anyone notice how many of those are from CA? Do we know who the head of WCF is, are they from CA?

Last edited:

decklin

I still think its in there agenda (See bold text in your quote). They simply added more items on there 'to do list', as such they needed to re-word it.

BTW, does anyone notice how many of those are from CA? Do we know who the head of WCF is, are they from CA?

http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/who_we_are
Found the info on their site. Apparently along with a degree from Yale they also give you insight into whether people should have the ability to defend themselves.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Another funny thing.

I tried searching "Gregory Roberts" on images.Google.com and M1Gunr's photo came up.

M1, are you Gregory Roberts, the director of wa ceasefire? :)

On another note, does anyone actually have his photo?

Last edited:

John Hardin

I see two possibilities:

They didn't like the negative attention they were getting about their specific proposal and have decided to soft-pedal it, or they thought their chances of success were poor so they didn't want to be specific about pursuing it and failing and having yet more to be ridiculed about.

Do not assume they won't be pushing such legislation. They might just be moving it "under the radar"...

amlevin

I like the part about how gun violence is lower where there are more restrictive laws. Whoever wrote that has been drinking too much of his bath water.

Apparently hasn't compared Washington DC's gun restrictions with THEIR violence rate. Ditto for Chicago, and I leave California, especially Southern CA, to your own interpretation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
More Guns, Less Crime is a book by John Lott that says violent crime rates go down when states pass "shall issue" concealed carry laws. He presents the results of his statistical analysis of crime data for every county in the United States during 18 years from 1977 to 1994. The book expands on an earlier study published in 1997 by Lott and his co-author David Mustard in The Journal of Legal Studies.[SUP][1][/SUP] Lott also examines the effects of gun control laws, including the Brady Law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Guns,_Less_Crime

More Guns, Less Crime Again: Gun Ownership Rises to All-Time High, Violent Crime Falls to 36-Year Low
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=206&issue=007

decklin

I enjoyed reading the part about how most gun crime is not caused by criminals but by distressed and distraught individuals with access to a gun. According to them the American Public is two irresponsible and ruled by emotions in the heat of the moment to be able to have the ability to defend themselves.

rbaconator

Me three.

I'm not banned... shall I work up a nice rebuttal to their website and post it to their FB wall? In their info bit it says they can delete anything they want if they want. But also say that respectful posts will be left alone. So I need to keep that in mind. It will be like those stupid argumentative essays I had to do in high school lol. This forum is filled with links and info and such that research shouldn't be too hard :p

amzbrady

You too!? :)

Yeah, Huh... guess Ralph Fallacy dont like me.

I'm not banned... shall I work up a nice rebuttal to their website and post it to their FB wall? In their info bit it says they can delete anything they want if they want. But also say that respectful posts will be left alone. So I need to keep that in mind. It will be like those stupid argumentative essays I had to do in high school lol. This forum is filled with links and info and such that research shouldn't be too hard :p

I got banned from "The Brady Complaigners to prevent gun ownership" site also...

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/bradycampaign

Last edited:

jt59

It's still there, the legislative session is just ramping up with pre-filing of bills, reintroduction of left overs from last year and organization of committee's and such. This bill can be dropped as a one off item, but may be embedded in a larger legislative intiative to include other items in their agenda.......we continue to watch, wait and listen.