• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Invasion against "visibly" LEO home seeking weapons: July 4th Weekend

Jake8x7

Activist Member
My father had been involved with multiple DUI checkpoints that weekend. Because of this, he had driven a patrol car in the area to and from work more than usual (we live in a rural area about 30minutes from a large city). There was a construction project that had just begun days prior down the street (this was extremely out of the ordinary due to over 75% of the neighboring properties being foreclosed) and there were dozens of workers driving down our street throughout the weekend. On Monday morning between 7-9:30am, with a LE marked vehicle parked in the driveway, two or more individuals invaded our home. There is zero doubt in my mind that they possessed respectable firepower.

The front door was kicked inward in what appears to be a single kick from a size 12.5 boot. The door knob lodged into the drywall. The suspects then severely assaulted our black lab with what appears to be large dense candlestick holder blunt trauma to her face , as several of them were thrown from the front door to the back window, shattering the glass. These individuals then stole twos flat screen tvs, multiple laptops, iPod, digital camera, ~$500 cash, priceless family pearls, coach purse, 550 rounds of .22 short, an unknown amount of .380, 2 LOADED DUTY GLOCK .45 GAP MAGAZINES (whichever model is the full size), LEO PEPPER SPRAY, LEO HANDCUFFS (+ keys), and a few other LEO pieces of clothing. Luckily his duty sidearm was locked in a bolted dresser safe box that they never discovered, but our closet vault with long guns and antique revolvers was smashed to oblivion. They weren't able to get into that safe though, thank God. A local LEO of a different agency visited our house coincidentally that morning to serve a subpoena regarding an non-relating DUI traffic stop when he saw that the door was breached and ajar. As backup eventually swarmed the house,they found our home empty. Luckily no of us were home. Although this may not seem like it belongs in this section, it is a great example of a central theme in common day criminals: They're not worried about getting their hands dirty.

Ladies and gentlemen, these men brought up arms against law enforcement with the primary intend to steal more firearms. The amount of audacity required to kick the front door down of a state trooper whose patrol car is in the drive way is beyond me. If anything, I hope this heightens awareness on the fact that THE POLICE CAN NOT HELP YOU IN A FIGHT OR FLIGHT ENCOUNTER.

Stay smart, safe, and composed. On a lighter note, this incident pushed my father to such mental extremes that later that week he ended up running around the side of the house brandishing on our front lawn (front door was still boarded) against a little old census worker haha. I guess all we can do is be aware.

Oh, and they forgot to steal the Wii. I guess there really 'aint no rest for the wicked' after all is there?

Jake8x7

slowfiveoh

My father had been involved with multiple DUI checkpoints that weekend...[snip]

Oh, and they forgot to steal the Wii. I guess there really 'aint no rest for the wicked' after all is there?

Jake8x7

All of this is the point many of us have made for a long time. Very sorry to hear this happened to you and your father.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Jake8x7,

Welcome to OCDO. Thanks for detailing the amount of damage and destruction that can be inflicted in a short period of time, as well as for reminding folks that there are ways to stop thieves who are working with a short time schedule.

stay safe.

Kirbinator

That was a targeted attack. From the amount of time that it took to break in and clean out that equipment, and to know that it was vacant except for the dog. They knew he wasn't home. In a largely vacant neighborhood, it's easy to keep watch. Easy in and out. The fact that they didn't shoot the dog tells you they were there for a smash & grab anything of value. The LEO gear just makes trophies.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Certainly scary to come home to as well as infuriating. Yes, I've had my residence burglarized before and know that horrible feeling.

Besides the lessons mentioned above, this is also a good reminder that a typical residential construction, even with a deadbolt, really isn't difficult to break into with a bit of force.