• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Adams County Colorado - Liquor Store - Weapons sign (oops...)

jrmountains

I had my Kimber 1911 OC in a locking holster while running some errands (after dropping off my son); restaurant for carry out, haircut, liquor store. No issues until I get to the Liquor store. I specifically read the signs while entering, and didn't see one specifically saying I couldn't carry. I thought nothing of it, aside from my typical raised awareness when I am carrying.

While at the register, the cashier says "whao, you can't have that here." I inquire that I am confused, as I understood the open carry laws applied as long as alcohol wasn't being served here. He said "see the sign," and pointed to a sign that was parallel to the entrance as you walk in, but clear as you face the doors (from the side). I honestly read the signage on my way in (looking for weapons prohibited, etc.), noticing the many "don't buy for minor signs."

I honestly didn't catch the other sign amongst the other neon lights, signs, posters, and ads along that wall. I would have left the 1911 in the car. I frequently do since my employer forbids weapons (and I have a locking safe tethered to the seat mounts as well as an alarm system that pages me upon glass breakage, impact, or break-in).

Aside from him telling me I can't carry in his store (and my subsequent leaving and agreement not to bring my firearm there in the future), do I have anything to worry about? Can they (LE) come "a-knocking" at my door and use either my name/ID or video surveillance to assert that I broke the law? I do recall (having recently served on a jury) that INTENT/KNOWINGLY plays a big part in charges such as this. I would hate something like this to actually impact my 2nd amendment rights in the future.

I am law abiding, have handgun training (to include tactical, CCW coursework, etc.) but choose to OC most of the time. I may start CCing once my permit arrives.

WhyHow

Entering Liquor Store armed

Hi,

I used to be a Deputy Sheriff in a County adjacent to Adams County. Yes, you broke the law, but "most" cops address the "spirit of the law" as opposed to the "letter of the law". It would be a cop who had an "attitude" problem who pursued the issue after the fact. There was no harm done, it was unintentional, and I think most cops would see it that way. If I were you, I would let my concerns be a lesson. Don't do it again. Most cops are more concerned with the guy who thinks he's open carrying while his jacket covers all but the tip of the holster. That is not open carry and most would consider it CCW. The concept behind OC is that everyone can see you are armed. Being seen as armed is a deterrent to violence being perpetrated upon you. I believe this concept is why OC has survived the barrage of restrictions regarding carrying at all. As a former LEO, I am a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and I believe it should be the right of every "law abiding", adult citizen to bear arms. And, bearing arms doesn't mean locked in your trunk with the ammo locked in another box. Carry responsibly and we all will have less problems with OC. I have observed people who are clearly intoxicated, wearing their Glock or 1911 as though they're a tough guy, gun slinger waiting for a challenge. These are the people who are going to ruin OC for everyone, and they are the ones who are going to become very familiar with a jail cell, as they should. As a community interested in preserving our constitutional rights, we have a sober responsiblity to bear along with them. If the responsibility is eroded by recklessness or carelessness, the government and those who would see our rights stripped away, will be empowered to do so.

xdmcompact

Hi,

I used to be a Deputy Sheriff in a County adjacent to Adams County. Yes, you broke the law, but "most" cops address the "spirit of the law" as opposed to the "letter of the law". It would be a cop who had an "attitude" problem who pursued the issue after the fact. There was no harm done, it was unintentional, and I think most cops would see it that way. If I were you, I would let my concerns be a lesson. Don't do it again. Most cops are more concerned with the guy who thinks he's open carrying while his jacket covers all but the tip of the holster. That is not open carry and most would consider it CCW. The concept behind OC is that everyone can see you are armed. Being seen as armed is a deterrent to violence being perpetrated upon you. I believe this concept is why OC has survived the barrage of restrictions regarding carrying at all. As a former LEO, I am a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and I believe it should be the right of every "law abiding", adult citizen to bear arms. And, bearing arms doesn't mean locked in your trunk with the ammo locked in another box. Carry responsibly and we all will have less problems with OC. I have observed people who are clearly intoxicated, wearing their Glock or 1911 as though they're a tough guy, gun slinger waiting for a challenge. These are the people who are going to ruin OC for everyone, and they are the ones who are going to become very familiar with a jail cell, as they should. As a community interested in preserving our constitutional rights, we have a sober responsibility to bear along with them. If the responsibility is eroded by recklessness or carelessness, the government and those who would see our rights stripped away, will be empowered to do so.

IANAL Unless your state has a law that says you can not carry past the sign you did not break the law. You would have broken the law when the store owner said you can not have that in there and then refused to leave. Not sure how it is written where you are.

CO-Joe

AFAIK, there's no law in Adams county or any municipality in Colorado, which isn't preempted by state law, except in Denver county--where OC is illegal anyway, which prevents anyone from carrying open or concealed in any store which sells liquor, even if it's a bar. AFAIK, there's also no law which says you can't drink and carry, no matter how bad that idea might be.

You left when the owner/manager asked you to leave, which is what anyone aught to do whether they carry or not, or whether the store is posted or not, because then you'd be liable for trespass. I think you're worrying about it too much.

hermannr

IMHO: The proper response is. Put you bottle of liquor down, say, I am sorry sir, I will remember not to patronize your business, now, or in the future,,,,and walk out without your liquor. Buy it somewhere else.

Do not patronize those merchants, and tell them why you will not patronize them.

GWbiker

Well, that sign will do it's intended job - prevent the liquor store from being held up.

An armed robber will see that sign and turn around.

/sarcasm.

Beau

I am surprised that I missed this one. Why didn't you post it in the Colorado forum?

Anywho,,,

You have nothing to worry about as you did not break any law. I am not sure what law WhyHow thinks you broke.

First off. Signs do not carry the force of law in Colorado. You broke a store rule, not a law. The most they can do is ask you to leave, which they did and you did. If you refuse to leave then you can be charged with trespass.

Secondly, Colorado has no law about carrying establishments that serve alcohol. You can carry into a liquor store, bar, restaurant or any other place that sells alcohol.

Last of all, welcome to OCDO. Hope to see you around more.