• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another newb introduction and questions

lock_stock_barrel

I want to start off by saying hello and thank you to everyone. I've been reading the forums for awhile and have learned much from here, but still looking to learn more. Before I ever thought about OC, I've CC'd (couldn't renew for financial reasons at the time) so I'm not new to carry in general. Being new to the OC movement I have some questions.
1) The holster I have now is level 1 (thumb break only). Is that sufficient for everyday carry?
2) I would like to have a knife (or something pointy) easily accessible for my left hand. Where can I find the Nevada law on knives?
3) I do want to get my CCW again (I live right at the border with North Las Vegas). Does anyone know of any good instructors?

28kfps

Welcome to OC dot org. The correct choice of a retention holster is kind of like asking what kind of firearm should one carry. So many variables. It is my understanding a regular holster with slip in and slip out only is a level 1 yours would be a level 2.

The easer the thumb breaks the easier for someone else to undo it. The more secure the the retention system the more time is takes to get it out in a hurry. How much practicing are you willing to do? Your thumb break holster might be fine depending on how easy it is for a bystander to undo it.

Not sure what to say about the knife thing. If it is time to use lethal force why go for the knife? One could find themselves at a gunfight armed with the knife instead of the firearm. Just my opinion. If you want, a CCW one place will do it free. I am on a mission not to ever spend a dime in the store however, the gun store on Trop will do the training for free you have to use and buy their ammo. It is my understanding they never spent the money for a ventilation system to allow them to shoot lead. If true a good excuse to make an additional profit on the non-lead ammo you are required to buy.

ed2276

I carry with a thumb break holster. I always have liked the thumb break style.

I am not concerned at all about someone being able to unsnap it and take my gun. I carry the gun forward on my hip, about even with the opening of my jeans pocket, and cantered forward. Because of the positioning of my holster, my arm is almost always in contact with my pistol grip and covering the holster.

Someone coming from behind me would have to reach through my arm to the front of the holster, unsnap the thumb strap, and then try to pull the gun out backwards from a forward cantered holster...which is not that east to do. There is no way I would be unaware of the attempt to get past my arm to the front of the holster.

The moment I felt the contact against my arm, I would clamp my elbow against the gun and then react with extreme violence to thwart the attempted access to my weapon.

lock_stock_barrel

Thanks for the replies. As of right now I am comfortable with just the thumb break, but eventually I want to try out a higher retention level holster. As far as training I do practice drawing, and would like to take some actual classes. I want to carry a knife more as a tool than for SD however if someone does ever try to grab my pistol and got their hand on it my right hand would be securing it while my left was defending (with said knife) as the boy scouts say "be prepared". I will never step foot in the gun store again even if the CCW training is free. I've been in there a couple times and the staff was always arrogant to say the least.

28kfps

Thanks for the replies. As of right now I am comfortable with just the thumb break, but eventually I want to try out a higher retention level holster. As far as training I do practice drawing, and would like to take some actual classes. I want to carry a knife more as a tool than for SD however if someone does ever try to grab my pistol and got their hand on it my right hand would be securing it while my left was defending (with said knife) as the boy scouts say "be prepared". I will never step foot in the gun store again even if the CCW training is free. I've been in there a couple times and the staff was always arrogant to say the least.

I am with you on the gun store. If someone is strapped for cash I would not blame them getting the free training. I just had to renew mine and I paid for it from a real gun store. Sounds like you are good to go with the holster. Welcome to OC dot org.

Last edited: