Thread: Have anyone used the Springfield XD (M) competition model .45ACP?

Have anyone used the Springfield XD (M) competition model .45ACP?

I have a XD .45 and Taruas .380 and I love them both. But i have been looking at the Springfield XD (M) .45 competition one. I know the barrel is a bit long. I have been a decent shot at 25 yards and I want to continue on shooting and maybe join a team of shooters (hey I can dream before 2012 right?).

I also carry concealed. Not really, I have my gun on my hip and in areas where I need to cover up, I just drop my shirt over it. I think this gun is about total length about 6 inches ( I may be wrong).... but have anyone used one before, if so how was it and would you recomend it as a good investment for practice shooting and concealed carry (even though many of the places I go is open carry).

Havent tried the -M's, myself, but not crazy about the Xds anyway.
    But they shouldnt be any more difficult to cover up, when needed, than a Gov't 1911, I dont think.

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Havent tried the -M's, myself, but not crazy about the Xds anyway.
    But they shouldnt be any more difficult to cover up, when needed, than a Gov't 1911, I dont think.
    Yeah, the "M"'s are a bit differnt with the adjustable grips and basically cosmetics it looks more expensive. I guess I'm a bit drawn to it because of the top vented barell to lower the recoil. I have been looking at the 9mm also. I figure since I shoot a lot... buying ammo is chaper than .45's. I have seen now some places offer 500 rounds of 9mm for about $130 vs. 500 rounds of FMJ .45 for about $250.

I would love to have the .45... or a second .45 but I think I might get the 9mm just because ammo is cheaper.

Thumbs up I own an XDm 9mm

I enjoy it. Low recoil, vary accurate shot, well built. The gun is longer and slim, not too heavy unloaded. With the 19+1 mag it gets rather heavy, even heavier if your going with the 45. Make sure you have a good belt or your pants will be falling off!

The only real negative I have is the concealability given its size, however you don't buy a full size gun to conceal it. Like you however I do drop my shirt over it without any issues, the end of the barrel normally still shows about 1/2" to 1" depending on your type of shirt. I open carry 95% of the time, so this is not really a problem for me.

Overall, I would recommend it!

@Firedawg314, you can get 9mm FMJ target ammo 1000 rds for $165 or 16.5c a round. Sometimes I see it on sale for $150 per 1000. This is from surplus ammo, shoots clean and is made in the USA (Montana).
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 12-15-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    I enjoy it. Low recoil, vary accurate shot, well built. The gun is longer and slim, not too heavy unloaded. With the 19+1 mag it gets rather heavy, even heavier if your going with the 45. Make sure you have a good belt or your pants will be falling off!

The only real negative I have is the concealability given its size, however you don't buy a full size gun to conceal it. Like you however I do drop my shirt over it without any issues, the end of the barrel normally still shows about 1/2" to 1" depending on your type of shirt. I open carry 95% of the time, so this is not really a problem for me.

Overall, I would recommend it!

@Firedawg314, you can get 9mm FMJ target ammo 1000 rds for $165 or 16.5c a round. Sometimes I see it on sale for $150 per 1000. This is from surplus ammo, shoots clean and is made in the USA (Montana).
    That's pretty good. I think I may buy it the first thing in the new year. I have been buy a ton of .45 ammo. I still have the compact XD .45 But I really started liking the compentition model with the vented barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg314 View Post
    I guess I'm a bit drawn to it because of the top vented barell to lower the recoil. .
    the barrel isnt vented. The slide is cut out. But it dosent have a ported barrel.