• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have anyone used the Springfield XD (M) competition model .45ACP?

Firedawg314

I have a XD .45 and Taruas .380 and I love them both. But i have been looking at the Springfield XD (M) .45 competition one. I know the barrel is a bit long. I have been a decent shot at 25 yards and I want to continue on shooting and maybe join a team of shooters (hey I can dream before 2012 right?).

I also carry concealed. Not really, I have my gun on my hip and in areas where I need to cover up, I just drop my shirt over it. I think this gun is about total length about 6 inches ( I may be wrong).... but have anyone used one before, if so how was it and would you recomend it as a good investment for practice shooting and concealed carry (even though many of the places I go is open carry).

j4l

Havent tried the -M's, myself, but not crazy about the Xds anyway.
But they shouldnt be any more difficult to cover up, when needed, than a Gov't 1911, I dont think.

Firedawg314

Havent tried the -M's, myself, but not crazy about the Xds anyway.
But they shouldnt be any more difficult to cover up, when needed, than a Gov't 1911, I dont think.

Yeah, the "M"'s are a bit differnt with the adjustable grips and basically cosmetics it looks more expensive. I guess I'm a bit drawn to it because of the top vented barell to lower the recoil. I have been looking at the 9mm also. I figure since I shoot a lot... buying ammo is chaper than .45's. I have seen now some places offer 500 rounds of 9mm for about $130 vs. 500 rounds of FMJ .45 for about $250.

I would love to have the .45... or a second .45 but I think I might get the 9mm just because ammo is cheaper.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I own an XDm 9mm

I enjoy it. Low recoil, vary accurate shot, well built. The gun is longer and slim, not too heavy unloaded. With the 19+1 mag it gets rather heavy, even heavier if your going with the 45. Make sure you have a good belt or your pants will be falling off! :)

The only real negative I have is the concealability given its size, however you don't buy a full size gun to conceal it. Like you however I do drop my shirt over it without any issues, the end of the barrel normally still shows about 1/2" to 1" depending on your type of shirt. I open carry 95% of the time, so this is not really a problem for me.

Overall, I would recommend it!

@Firedawg314, you can get 9mm FMJ target ammo 1000 rds for $165 or 16.5c a round. Sometimes I see it on sale for $150 per 1000. This is from surplus ammo, shoots clean and is made in the USA (Montana).

Last edited:

Firedawg314

I enjoy it. Low recoil, vary accurate shot, well built. The gun is longer and slim, not too heavy unloaded. With the 19+1 mag it gets rather heavy, even heavier if your going with the 45. Make sure you have a good belt or your pants will be falling off! :)

The only real negative I have is the concealability given its size, however you don't buy a full size gun to conceal it. Like you however I do drop my shirt over it without any issues, the end of the barrel normally still shows about 1/2" to 1" depending on your type of shirt. I open carry 95% of the time, so this is not really a problem for me.

Overall, I would recommend it!

@Firedawg314, you can get 9mm FMJ target ammo 1000 rds for $165 or 16.5c a round. Sometimes I see it on sale for $150 per 1000. This is from surplus ammo, shoots clean and is made in the USA (Montana).

That's pretty good. I think I may buy it the first thing in the new year. I have been buy a ton of .45 ammo. I still have the compact XD .45 But I really started liking the compentition model with the vented barrel.