• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places that serve alcohol?

Nirrot

So I've found nothing in state law or Colorado Spring/Fountain law that sais anything about OCing in places that serve for consumption on site, but I am not sure. I thought someone had mentioned that it was a no go but I cannot remember. Obviously I'm not going to carry into a bar or anything but what about like chipotle or wingstop or red lobster or whatever, assuming I'm not drinking and carrying at the same time? Also I'm new to the forum and excited for it!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
CRS 29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited.
A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.

Colorado does not prohibit carry in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/alcohol-marijuana-firearms-prohibitions

Deserteagle8338

Alot of our Open Carry dinners are in places that serve alkie hall...It's just not smart, and in bad form to consume it and have your gun on your hip.

Its also illegal to be under the influence of alcohol and in possession of a gun.

Beau

Curious as to why you wouldn't carry into a bar? It is legal to do so. As already mentioned carrying while under the influence is illegal. The problem is that what constitutes being under the influence isn't defined. So even one beer or glass of wine while carrying is taking a chance.

JamesB

Curious as to why you wouldn't carry into a bar? It is legal to do so. As already mentioned carrying while under the influence is illegal. The problem is that what constitutes being under the influence isn't defined. So even one beer or glass of wine while carrying is taking a chance.

Posession while intoxicated: No, the level of intoxication is not defined. But 0.08 (the same level as DUI) is what is commonly applied.

Either way, a fully stocked bar at home is a lot cheaper.

since9

Campaign Veteran
My new residence is, very thankfully, issue-free with respect to problematic neighbours.

In my old place, however, I had to call the cops on unruly neighbours no less than four times in the six months before I moved. On two such occasions, I had consumed alcohol, so when the LEO's arrived, I secured my firearm in my gun safe before opening the door.

They didn't ask if I had a firearm, but I simply didn't want the hassle that might ensue if they did, particularly if I had been carrying. Had they asked, "Do you have a firearm in your possession?" my response would simply have been, "No, it's locked in the safe."

This evening I had dinner with a friend who was drinking a beer. He offered me one and I said, "No thank you. That wouldn't be a good idea while I'm carrying."