• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quinailt resort carry?

joeroket

Well let me saythank you to every one for all the support and help answering my question. But like all wifes my wife wen and changed plans on me so now we will be heading down to the Oregon coast. Should be nice just wish that they would respect ar CCW but that is alright will just have to Play it safe. Know that the city where the hotel is at has not restrictions on loaded open carry but don't know about the citys around it or the ones we will be driving though to get there. So I am gouing to play it safe on the drive there and unload and lock My handgun up until I get to the hotel and then load up only when I am in that city. Not ideal but I like that beter then fines and or jail time.

So one more time thank you all for you fast and helpful response nd I hope that every one has a nice and safe holidays

If memory serves me correct, I just looked this up in June, Newport is the only city on the coast that bans open carry without a permit.

hermannr

Newport too eh? The one on teh coast that I know about is Astoria.

Interesting tidbit...Oregon state law is such that a license from a "governmental authority" is all you need in those cities that ban loaded OC, to legally loaded OC.

I noticed that the WA guy that was arrested in Astoria was released, not charged, and his weapon was returned to him...so WA CPL must be a ligit "governmntal authority" for purposed of loaded OC. (it absolutely is not good for CC, Oregon only recognizes their own CWP for concealed carry, no one elses. but for purposes of loaded OC, a permit/license from any "governmental authority" is what the OR law states.

FMCDH

For what it's worth, I stopped for gas at the indian reservation near the Twin Bridges between Anacortes and Burlington. Went inside and was informed by the police officer standing inside (guess he was stationed there) that carrying inside tribal buildings by non tribal members was not allowed.

Did he happen to clarify what he felt was a "tribal building"?

MadHatter66

Did he happen to clarify what he felt was a "tribal building"?

Most of the time they tend to be any building that is run by the tribe and not someone else. Out here on our side on the Suquamish reservation the gas stations are tribal run, so they are tribal buildings. I have never had any trouble carrying there... The one big difference at Suquamish is that its an open reservation, so anyone can live or build there on a 99year lease. Recently there was a law passed, and I cannot find it for the life of me right now, that allows tribal police to enforce state law on non-tribal members as long as they are CJTC certified officers. Most tribal agencies, because of their ties to the federal government send their officers to FLETC, and WA doesn't recognize FLETC as a an equivalent academy. Once all the officers in a tribal agency are CJTC certified they no longer need to call for county/city police to arrest you on a violation of WA law on tribal land. Just some FWIW info...

FMCDH

Good Info MadHatter, thanks!

I think what it comes down to, is the tribal police can throw out whatever rules and laws they like at you (like not carrying in tribal run buildings), but the SCOTUS has ruled they don't have the authority to punish non-tribal members (or non-residents of the reservation) for breaking those "laws".

The worst that is going to happen is they arrest you, take your firearm away, and tell you not to come back to the reservation. Then you have to go through the process of getting your property back.

With all the public traffic and business that occurs on most of the reservation areas around here, I don't think most tribes would want the bad PR such actions would bring, especially if the arrest and seizure of property was not due to the breaking of a corresponding State or County law.

Just like our LEOs out here in the rest of the non-Native American world, tribal LEOs are still prone to tell people they are legally obligated to follow rules and laws that do not apply and/or even exist.

Know the rules, know your chances even if the rules are broken against you, don't be an ass-hat in dealing with people, you would go a long way to making life easier on yourself. :cool:

hermannr

For what it's worth, I stopped for gas at the indian reservation near the Twin Bridges between Anacortes and Burlington. Went inside and was informed by the police officer standing inside (guess he was stationed there) that carrying inside tribal buildings by non tribal members was not allowed.

That is the Swinomish res, if you look at the hangunlaw.us .pdf you will see that the Swinomish only address concealed carry on their res, and if you have a state or tribal CPL you are fine. The tribal officer was blowing smoke, or he did not know that actual tribal law.