• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AF Times, 'Sux 2 B U' - Casket photo sparks investigation at Lackland

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.airforcetimes.com/mobile...-lackland-casket-photo-investigation-121311w/
“Da Dumpt, Da Dumpt …. Sucks 2 Be U” is written under the photo, which was emailed to Air Force Times.

In the picture, tech sergeants and staff sergeants stand with junior airmen surrounding the metallic casket, similar to those used to carry war dead home to the U.S.

The purpose of the photo, its inscription and its intended audience are not known. It surfaced one month after the public disclosure that the Air Force’s Port Mortuary at Dover Air Force Base, Del., had lost and mishandled the remains of hundreds of fallen troops.

John Milton said:
On His Blindness

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one Talent which is death to hide
Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest He returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts. Who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed,
And post o'er land and ocean without rest;
They also serve who only stand and wait.
So often, here, my brothers in arms distance themselves from humanity. I fear the fall to come to they who would be haughty. USN '69 - '75

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ooooh, someone's gonna get a 'pankin'!

Seriously, there are going to be some freshly-made A1's who used to be accustomed to a much highrer pay grade. They may also have just ended their careers - even the ones they might have had outside the .mil.

Barracks-room humor has always been dark and profane, but most folks know to keep it from the light of day. Sending that picture to the Air Force Times surpasses dumb and explores new territory.

stay safe.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Without knowing the purpose or the intended audience I'm not even going to venture an opinion. For all I know the 'dead guy' pulled a bonehead move that might have gotten him or some other service-member killed and this is one way of making it memorable.
Who can say?

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Without knowing the purpose or the intended audience I'm not even going to venture an opinion. For all I know the 'dead guy' pulled a bonehead move that might have gotten him or some other service-member killed and this is one way of making it memorable.
Who can say?

I've done several perspective articles in the hopes of re-caging the mental gyros of those Americans whose thinking has jumped the tracks.

As a vet, I freely offer that various shenanigans like what befell the 37th Training Group at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, occurred quite often. It was almost always a combination of tension relief and esprit de corps, people coming together to do something unique and different, without meaning any harm, and never inteded for public release, beyond immediate family and friends, all of whom understand the rigors of military service, the comraderie that accompanies it, and the steam that our high-pressured folks tend to blow off from time to time. Sometimes it was done in good taste. Occasionally, not so much. All in all, however, we took it as it was, and took it in stride, for esprit de corps, but never failing to use the "not so much" responses as a means of helping polish those folks with tons of exuberance but somewhat lacking in discretion.

Do folks sometimes cross the line in their exuberance? Yes, they do. In this case, someone erred by sending a picture to the media. Folks - The Air Force Times is NOT the Air Force. It's a media-publication that's won a contract to report on various Air Force-related events. They themselves say so, right here: http://www.airforcetimes.com/about/

Now, if they deserved their "trusted" claim, they'd have yanked this story in a heartbeat. They did not. They ran it, and ran all the way to the bank with the money it's notoriety is generating with respect to their advertising revenue.

After twenty years of military service, I find that most of the harm coming from this particular incident has been invented by the media and sprayed onto an unsuspecting public for no other purpose than generating adverti$ing revenue$ by people horrified by the media portrayals.

So please, public - step back, take a deep breath, and remember the media do not control you. You can think for yourselves, and I humbly ask that you please do so.

The media could care less about the hopes, aspirations, and lives of the relative innocents involved. They ignore the fact that corporate culture is much the same as are fraternity events, and just about every segment of life all the way down to the Jackass movie trilogy, and while I'm putting you in your place, Johnny Knoxville, I do mean my admiration for your ability to kick-start a guffaw into a grin from the most ornery person as a complement. Like many others, however, I came close to blowing grits at your last movie

My point is one of perspective. We live in a society which avidly endorses all genre of movies, including those shown on base, then we react in horror when folks emulate the tiniest semblance of what they've seen.

Really? Has the word "hypocrite" been expunged from our dictionaries?

The media just wants to bolster up sagging profits, made even worse as Americans are wising up to the fact that the media left "news integrity" in the profit dumpster years ago. They've done a good job of keeping up with a pretence of integrity, but their decisions are about money, not reality.

Speaking as one who, as a 1st Lt rode his commanding officer's 1,300 cc Harley through the Officer's Club for our base-wide "50's Night" (with both his and the club manager's previously obtained consent, of course), I can't help but think these poor souls, just blowing off some steam, are going to wind up being behind the eightball as commanders many levels above them revert to "saving face" instead of telling the media what they need to hear right about now in America's fight to regain the roots of her Godly heritage: "Go to hell. They were just blowing off steam."

Please stand behind your people, commanders. Mine did throughout my career. Well, mostly. When, in the last months they bent to political pressure, my compatriates stood beside me and won the day in their stead.

Our media knows it, but they're ignoring it because their profits are more important than these people's lives, hopes, aspirations, and very hard work while enduring the rigors of combat.

Speaking of which, members of the media - you're over 17... Care to join up?"

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Last edited:

ncwabbit

here here...

well said since9...the Times has never been our friend per se

these young women and men are oblivious of future ramification(s) from their folly...hopefully their supervisors and commanders understand and remember they were once young themselves and did stupid things.

wabbit

Last edited:

Kirbinator

I'm curious as to exactly what the message here is or was intended to be. Without context, it just looks weird.

Seeing as how we don't put the dead in chains, I don't understand the motif.