• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need advice for Florida OC via "fishing" exemption

Jake8x7

Activist Member
I have decided to represent the OC movement by fishing on the Naples pier in Naples, Florida. I am pretty sure no one has OC'ed in this city of over 100,000 for over 25 years. I am under 21 but over 18, and know a majority of the FL laws extremely well (18 to buy handguns&ammo via private sale, securely encased for vehicular transport if not using fishing exemption, etc) but I'm just trying to cover all my bases here. The FL state statute regarding the "fishing" exemption is as follows:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...earm&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

And I'm pretty sure no county or city can amend their own laws relating to firearms (besides up to 3 day wait on certain FFL handgun transactions) but I was looking for more information on whether or not I would need to show identification for simply open carrying (please cite statutes) or if there is any way the local LE could construed me walking through downtown towards the fishing pier with a cart including a fishing pole and a tackle box as some sort of disturbing the peace. I would also like to know if the definition of "expedition" could be compromised as I'll be by myself, and most reputable dictionary sites (not government institutions) consider expedition to be:

a : a journey or excursion undertaken for a specific purpose
b : the group of persons making such a journey

Any advice or personal accounts would be nice.

Thanks,

Jake8x7

Last edited: