Thread: Hello All..

Hello All..

Hello everyone.

I've been around the site a bit before a while back and decided to finally join. Never open carried, although I've had a firearm for about 2years now. It's an Springfield XD .40 Service, all black. I use to live in Michigan and originally heard about this site from local news stations there. Always been interested in open carrying but I guess too nervous to do it. More so for how people will react, but again am very interested in doing so. I would hate to lose the right to do it because of not exercising it.

With that being said. Is there any info you can give on doing it in St. Louis, or websites with actual laws on it that you can point me to?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome to OCDO - lots of knowledgeable people here.

You might start your quest per below, follow the links:
    http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html

MO is subjected to a patchwork of local ordinances regarding open carry. Someone from your state should be along shortly to give your more specific information applicable to your location.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Some place on this forum is a list of legal and not-legal areas to OC, however the list is not up to date. ALWAYS check local laws before OCing, and do not "ask the police".
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

I can tell you this... ST. Louis City... DO NOT OPEN CARRY... YOU WILL GO TO JAIL THERE. Other places like Maplewood etc... SAME THING. what you will notice, each county have their own rules.

I live in Florissant and Open Carry is ok here, as long you have a CCW license. The best thing to do, get your CCW (Carry and Conceald Weapon). With that, from Missoui, about 40 states accepts it. Ill... doesn't reconizge anyones...In Ill... you have to have the gun unloaded in your trunk.

Best thing to do...talk to people here, meet up for lunch etc and learn. That's what I have done.. I'm basically still new to this too.

Oh yeah another point... when you do have your CCW and you go to areas that allow open carry... its about how your carry yourself. Do you act weird if you carry a pocket knife? Hopefully no, and that's how you have to behave.

Accomplished Advocate
    Greets, sit a spell.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Thumbs up

Welcome!!

Definitely touch base with the locals in the STL area. Go to their meetings and you'll be edjucated!

If you shoose to OC outside of your area, be sure to researcht the county, city and political subdivisions to see what restrictions they might have. You can check with that areas web sight and/or sullivancodes for help. Just as an FYI, don't ask the LEA chief or LEO for advice; more than likely they will stir you away from OC, regardless if they know the laws or not.

Enjoy the site! Lots of info, some you may agree with, some you may not; regardless it'll make you ponder.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Will hopefully have time to get out and meet/talk to some people. I live in St. Louis County. Thanks to everyone for the instant info and the point in the right direction. Will be reading up on it and am also looking into getting my ccw soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AXD.40 View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome. Will hopefully have time to get out and meet/talk to some people. I live in St. Louis County. Thanks to everyone for the instant info and the point in the right direction. Will be reading up on it and am also looking into getting my ccw soon.
    I have a thread on here about dinner tomorrow night, come out and meet some of us.