• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello All..

AXD.40

Hello everyone.

I've been around the site a bit before a while back and decided to finally join. Never open carried, although I've had a firearm for about 2years now. It's an Springfield XD .40 Service, all black. I use to live in Michigan and originally heard about this site from local news stations there. Always been interested in open carrying but I guess too nervous to do it. More so for how people will react, but again am very interested in doing so. I would hate to lose the right to do it because of not exercising it.

With that being said. Is there any info you can give on doing it in St. Louis, or websites with actual laws on it that you can point me to?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO - lots of knowledgeable people here.

You might start your quest per below, follow the links:
http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html

MO is subjected to a patchwork of local ordinances regarding open carry. Someone from your state should be along shortly to give your more specific information applicable to your location.

mspgunner

Some place on this forum is a list of legal and not-legal areas to OC, however the list is not up to date. ALWAYS check local laws before OCing, and do not "ask the police".

Firedawg314

I can tell you this... ST. Louis City... DO NOT OPEN CARRY... YOU WILL GO TO JAIL THERE. Other places like Maplewood etc... SAME THING. what you will notice, each county have their own rules.

I live in Florissant and Open Carry is ok here, as long you have a CCW license. The best thing to do, get your CCW (Carry and Conceald Weapon). With that, from Missoui, about 40 states accepts it. Ill... doesn't reconizge anyones...In Ill... you have to have the gun unloaded in your trunk.

Best thing to do...talk to people here, meet up for lunch etc and learn. That's what I have done.. I'm basically still new to this too.

Oh yeah another point... when you do have your CCW and you go to areas that allow open carry... its about how your carry yourself. Do you act weird if you carry a pocket knife? Hopefully no, and that's how you have to behave.

Redbaron007

Welcome!!

Definitely touch base with the locals in the STL area. Go to their meetings and you'll be edjucated! :)

If you shoose to OC outside of your area, be sure to researcht the county, city and political subdivisions to see what restrictions they might have. You can check with that areas web sight and/or sullivancodes for help. Just as an FYI, don't ask the LEA chief or LEO for advice; more than likely they will stir you away from OC, regardless if they know the laws or not.

Enjoy the site! Lots of info, some you may agree with, some you may not; regardless it'll make you ponder.

AXD.40

Thank you for the warm welcome. Will hopefully have time to get out and meet/talk to some people. I live in St. Louis County. Thanks to everyone for the instant info and the point in the right direction. Will be reading up on it and am also looking into getting my ccw soon.

xdmcompact

Thank you for the warm welcome. Will hopefully have time to get out and meet/talk to some people. I live in St. Louis County. Thanks to everyone for the instant info and the point in the right direction. Will be reading up on it and am also looking into getting my ccw soon.

I have a thread on here about dinner tomorrow night, come out and meet some of us.