• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy Bill of Rights Day!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Today in 1791 Virginia ratified the Bill of Rights, giving the amendments the 2/3 state approval necessary to become effective.

It took 725 years--counting from the Norman invasion--of gradually wresting powers from government, telling government "you have no power to do this." Seven hundred twenty five years of blood and treasure expended in aquiring rights. Seven hundred twenty five years of suffering, dispossession of property, and abuse along the way.

During and since the American Revolution, literally over a million Americans have died defending these rights. More blood. More treasure.

Take a moment also to thank men like John Lilburne (victim of the Star Chamber Court), William Penn (right to religion, right of jury nullification of bad laws), and Peter Zenger (freedom of the press).

The rights in the Bill of Rights were very expensive to aquire. And, took over seven centuries. Given the cost, I consider them extremely valuable.

I humbly submit it is worth thinking about, worth examining, worth considering further.

Do take a moment and look a little further:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/bill-of-rights-is-finally-ratified

http://www.theagitator.com/

Last edited: