• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

East Town Mall posted

qball54208

Posted no concealed weapons! How dumb is this? I tried to attach the photo using my HTC, obviously it did not work!
At any rate, I did e-mail the property mgr:

Good day Ma’am,
I was recently at east Town on 15DEC2011 and had noticed signs on the doors prohibiting “Concealed Weapons” on the property. I realize that WI has recently made Lawfully carrying a concealed weapon legal, this is new to a lot of Wisconsinites, lawfully being able to carry a concealed weapon.
However, since 1997, we have enjoyed the Right to Open Carry a firearm in WI, as seen here:
Right to keep and bear arms. SECTION 25. [As created
Nov. 1998] The people have the right to keep and bear arms for
security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.
[1995 J.R. 27, 1997 J.R. 21, vote November 1998]
I do respect private property owners who wish to post and inform the general public that they (you) wish not to allow weapons on the property. However, that does come with a potential price, limiting peoples Rights afforded Us by the WI Constitution and The US Constitution.
Along with restricting peoples Rights to defend themselves against a possible attack, the property owner now assumes liability under, WI 2011 Act 35, Chapter 175.60 (21) b & c, as follows:
(21) IMMUNITY. (a) The department of justice, the
department of transportation, and the employees of each
department; clerks, as defined in sub. (11) (a) 1. a., and
their staff; and court automated information systems, as
defined under sub. (11) (a) 1. b., and their employees are
immune from liability arising from any act or omission
under this section, if done so in good faith.
(b) A person that does not prohibit an individual from
carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person
owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising
from its decision.
(c) An employer that does not prohibit one or more
employees from carrying a concealed weapon under sub.
(15m) is immune from any liability arising from its decision
Along with posting/restricting weapons, the property owner NO LONGER enjoys immunity arising from any incident where, as a result ANY individual sustains an injury, to include death or great bodily harm, due to an individual using any weapon in the commission of a crime on any property that has been posted.
I hope that you and your collogues review this vital information here.
I would also add this, there are thousands of Second Amendment supporters here in the Brown County area, a vast majority WILL NOT patronize any establishment that restricts their Rights to Keep and Bear Arms, as it is stated above.
My resources are:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35.pdf
http://docs.legis.wi.gov/statutes/statutes/175/60
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35
See also, https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35
I thank you for your attention and time on this matter,
Respectfully,
Brian Johnson
Green Bay WI

Last edited:

mrmike.me

I will be stopping by tomorrow on my lunch hour to talk to whomever is there. It helps to put a face to the money loss. Anyone care to join me?

email me: mrmike.me at gmail. I have lunch anytime after 11:30.

rcav8r

Which mall are you talking about? When I saw East Town Mall, I assumed East Town Mall in Madison, but you signed your letter as being in Green Bay.

People, you need to be specific about things like this. Lots of cities in WI have similarly named or sounding areas, and definitely have same street names.
A lot of you naturally assume everyone else knows where you are talking about (trying NOT to look at Milwaukee people;) ). Even using MPD could mean either madison or milwaukee, depending on context.

Vandil

Which mall are you talking about? When I saw East Town Mall, I assumed East Town Mall in Madison, but you signed your letter as being in Green Bay.

People, you need to be specific about things like this. Lots of cities in WI have similarly named or sounding areas, and definitely have same street names.
A lot of you naturally assume everyone else knows where you are talking about (trying NOT to look at Milwaukee people;) ). Even using MPD could mean either madison or milwaukee, depending on context.

Greenbay
http://www.easttownmallgb.com/

I thought the same thing at first.

thieltech

yea i was thinkin he was saying east town mall in madison ... as thats what everyone calls it

qball54208

I'm sorry about that! However, in my e-mail I did mention Brown County, not Dane, just sayin

qball54208

NO! Do not do that at this point, I just had a lengthily conversation with a pretty high ranking individual from Zamias Corp this afternoon, they are, at this point, as Nik said in reference to properties being posted, a "knee jerk reaction"
While I will provide more info to them, this may take some time, in leu of the fact that they have to pass along the Statues I e-mailed them, so give it some time, I believe we have a chance!
I have developed a professional rapport with Mr Carr, so at this point, why don't we hold off and take higher ground and observe?

hermannr

Look up how many people are active members of "WAVE". Then check how many Concealed licenses have been applied for. Then next time you talk to the regional manager, just mention the numbers.

The disparity here in WA difference between Washington CeaseFire and licensees is 1:69 (5000 : 345,000)

Now, which group would you cater to is you were in retail? onder why WalMart's policy is what it is?