• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

illegal gun sales

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It'd be interesting to see if any of the Virginians had a C&R or if they contacted anone with an FFL.

Last edited:

2a4all

Here's an interesting story from WVEC-TV in Norfolk:

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/norfolk...ho-cant-pass-background-checks-135750958.html

I called the station right after the broadcast, and asked what was illegal about the gun sale that they attempted. (The on-air story did mention that private sales are legal in VA.) The person I spoke with claimed that it's wrong to conduct such sales, and that all a private seller has to do is call the state police to run a background check. He also said that many people felt that a background check should be required for every sale. He claimed that their story was really a story about Bloomberg's efforts to identify illegal gun sales and sellers. But he wouldn't tell me what law was being violated by the station's attempt to purchase the rifle. He refused to debate the issue with me and hung up the phone.:uhoh:

TFred

Here's an interesting story from WVEC-TV in Norfolk:

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/norfolk...ho-cant-pass-background-checks-135750958.html

I called the station right after the broadcast, and asked what was illegal about the gun sale that they attempted. (The on-air story did mention that private sales are legal in VA.) The person I spoke with claimed that it's wrong to conduct such sales, and that all a private seller has to do is call the state police to run a background check. He also said that many people felt that a background check should be required for every sale. He claimed that their story was really a story about Bloomberg's efforts to identify illegal gun sales and sellers. But he wouldn't tell me what law was being violated by the station's attempt to purchase the rifle. He refused to debate the issue with me and hung up the phone.:uhoh:
If he didn't complete the transaction, how does he know it wasn't some LEA running a sting? Maybe most of the people who say they are willing to buy and sell without regard to eligibility are LEAs running stings? Hmm...?

TFred

John Canuck

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ions-than-answers?CID=examiner_alerts_article

So much for the claim of anti-gunners that we need *“home rule.”* That’s just code for they want to rule your home, anyway.

And that’s the case with this latest publicity stunt, one that at least takes the mask off the lie that the anti-self-defense lobby wants to close a mythical “gun show loophole”—their true (immediate) goal is to end all private sales, and use that as the beachhead from which to launch their next assault.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I listened to that story fairly carefully. I had the impression that the entire thing was about private intrastate transfers. It had nothing to do with real dealers. They were simply mischaracterizing private parties as "dealers" simply because they were engaged in selling their own property. They did have a recording of some "undercover" guy talking on the 'phone with a prospective seller, and saying something about how he was worried he might not pass a background check if he'd bought from a real dealer, and the seller said something about how private sellers don't have to do background checks. That was the most damning evidence they had. (I was thinking at the time that Fox (D.C. air channel 5) is broadcasting this into Maryland, where the possession or use of an unconsensual recording of a private conversation is a felony.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Heck, any two of us could record some made up conversation saying anything we wanted to. How can you prove it's real and not made up?

Consider the source.

Has he/she proven reliable and accurate in the past? Then you verify/confirm the facts.

Bloomie doesn't conform to the standards of honest and forthright reporting - I understate my case.

Old Virginia Joe

Aaah, the good old days. I remember buying $15.00 rifles out of Field & Stream classified and having them delivered through the mail.

This reminds me of the situation I like to remind people of:

We, today, have LESS freedoms than the colonists did under Great Britain. And today, we "proudly" refer to ourselves as the "Land of the 'free' and the home of the Brave." The first part of that clause is a complete joke. The colonists were pissed off enough at their lack of freedom then to initiate and fight a real War, and we today, who are more subjected than they were, settle with simply bragging about how free we are (compared to the rest of the world)! We don't know what freedom is anymore, we have been boiling in the pot with the frogs so long . . . . . . We're happy just as long as we have five bars on our cellphones, and a great package of cable channels for a reasonable price. We are so screwed . . . . .

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This reminds me of the situation I like to remind people of:

We, today, have LESS freedoms than the colonists did under Great Britain. And today, we "proudly" refer to ourselves as the "Land of the 'free' and the home of the Brave." The first part of that clause is a complete joke. The colonists were pissed off enough at their lack of freedom then to initiate and fight a real War, and we today, who are more subjected than they were, settle with simply bragging about how free we are (compared to the rest of the world)! We don't know what freedom is anymore, we have been boiling in the pot with the frogs so long . . . . . . We're happy just as long as we have five bars on our cellphones, and a great package of cable channels for a reasonable price. We are so screwed . . . . .

I won't go too far into this Joe. It would be a violation of board rules...but you are mostly right.

If I recall from our PM's, you're a student of history, real history, not what's taught these days.

The colonists were not united in their desire to rebel. Many felt, just as many today, that you can't buck the system, but a few wouldn't stand for it. There were rebellious people long before the war began.

There are many among us now that take our freedom as originally intended, very seriously. Grapeshot is among the most steady freedom lovers and spends nearly every waking moment, peacefully and lawfully, educating others. Skidmark spent a year of his life fighting a corrupt system because he dared to speak up. User is our sword, who feels more strongly about the values of this country than anyone I know. Wylde...as wild as he is, takes his beliefs with him to the trenches every day, Thundar flat won't take it anymore.

I just take pictures!

I was criticized recently for being "out of line" with someone who advocates the "just go along to stay out of trouble", theory. The fellow that made the remark, was from a state that cut and ran during the war of Northern Aggression. I suppose he's just carrying on his states tradition of just going along.

There is a considerable amount of difference of opinions, even between gun owners these days but it is inaccurate to paint us all as "settle with simply bragging about how free we are".

Freedom is a state of mind and doing, not just some meaningless words. There are more freedom loving people than you think and as the economy gets worse and the Government tightens it's grip....the ranks are growing.

Last edited:

MKEgal

p.publius said:
The issue is that some people are selling guns using the internet to conduct a "face-to-face" or private sales of firearms.
Which brings up an interesting point... how does old law accomodate new technology?
Is it face to face if we s_kype or use another teleconference service?
And once I PayPal you the money for the box (since PP doesn't allow $ for sales of firearms), I am the owner, so as long as we're in the same state it can legally be shipped to me.

The piece claimed that "unlicensed" dealers were...
If they're not licensed, they're not a dealer.
Me selling my car does not make me a car d_ealer.
If I did it in volume, then yes.
If the "reporter" can prove that the citizens they investigated sold more than [whatever the legal limit on private sales in a month is] then they can be persecuted.

TFred said:
...anti-gun folks will not admit it and will even deny it to the press, but they actually believe that any non-government person who owns or possesses a gun is already a criminal.
And some of those anti-gun folks are also in positions of power in the gov't.
Witness our own police chief & mayor in Milwaukee, WI. :mad:

Grapeshot said:
§ 18.2-308.2:2 of the Code of Virginia
L1. Any person who attempts to solicit, persuade, encourage, or entice any dealer to transfer or otherwise convey a firearm other than to the actual buyer, as well as any other person who willfully and intentionally aids or abets such person, shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to a federal law-enforcement officer or a law-enforcement officer... in the performance of his official duties, or other person under his direct supervision.
Unless there are more exceptions than just what you've quoted there, it appears that any FFL who ships a gun to an FFL instead of to the owner, as well as everyone involved in the shipping business, are felons.
How many have been prosecuted?
Are there other exceptions, or is my logic faulty?

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

If I recall from our PM's, you're a student of history, real history, not what's taught these days. GOOD MEMORY, SIR. YOU'RE RIGHT THERE--ANOTHER REASON WHY WE HOMESCHOOL OUR KIDS--I REFUSE TO SUBJECT THEM TO THE PROPAGANDA VERSION OF OUR HERITAGE, AS I WAS MISLEAD, AS WERE EVEN MY GULLIBLE PARENTS, BORN IN THE 30's.

There are many among us now that take our freedom as originally intended, very seriously. It is inaccurate to paint us all as "settle with simply bragging about how free we are". I REFER TO OUR COUNTRYMEN IN GENERAL, NOT PARTICULARLY FOLKS HERE ON OCDO. QUITE THE CONTRARY HERE.

There are more freedom loving people than you think and as the economy gets worse and the Government tightens its grip....the ranks are growing. I HOPE YOU'RE RIGHT, I JUST HOPE YOU'RE RIGHT. BUT, THERE WAS QUITE A HOST OF MY ANCESTORS OF A LIKE MIND 150 YEARS AGO, BUT IT WAS STILL NOT ENOUGH TO STEM THE TIDE, UNFORTUNATELY.

(I cannot figure out how y'all get the bold print typing on-screen, thus the all caps--I'm such a computer duffer--sorry!).

scouser

(I cannot figure out how y'all get the bold print typing on-screen, thus the all caps--I'm such a computer duffer--sorry!).

click and hold down your left mouse button at the start of the text you want to make bold. Drag the mouse to the end of the text you want in bold and release the mouse button. If you've done it correctly you should see your selected text highlighted. If so, look above the text box you're typing in and you should see some formatting options. On my screen there are 3 lines, the middle line begins B I U, click on the B and your text will be bold.

if you can't do it like that then, before the start of what you want to bold, type "{B]" (change the { for a [ and without the " s) and then, at the end of what you want in bold, type "{/B]" (again change the { for a [ and without the " s).

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

click and hold down your left mouse button at the start of the text you want to make bold. Drag the mouse to the end of the text you want in bold and release the mouse button. If you've done it correctly you should see your selected text highlighted. If so, look above the text box you're typing in and you should see some formatting options. On my screen there are 3 lines, the middle line begins B I U, click on the B and your text will be bold.

if you can't do it like that then, before the start of what you want to bold, type "{B]" (change the { for a [ and without the " s) and then, at the end of what you want in bold, type "{/B]" (again change the { for a [ and without the " s).

Hope this helps

{B]How's this? {B] If it works, Thanks!! ( I won't know until after I hit "submit.")

papa bear

after some of the reporting i have seen recently. i don't think there is a fair and unbiased "news" reporter in VA.:banghead:

TFred

change the { to a [ in both of them.

I had to type it incorrectly so it would show up
You can use the HTML tags (the "<>" button) to illustrate the vBulletin markup examples:

HTML:
vBulletin attribute tag examples:
This is plaintext
[B]This will be bold.[/B]
[U]This will be underlined.[/U]
[I]This will be italics.[/I]

Like this without the HTML tags:

vBulletin attribute tag examples:
This is plaintext
This will be bold.
This will be underlined.
This will be italics.

The HTML tags look like this:

PHP:
[HTML]Text you want to not be parsed and displayed.[/HTML]

(For some reason, nesting the HTML tags to demonstrate the HTML tags didn't work! Probably a bug in vBulletin.)

TFred

PS: Your editing options also depend on which option you pick on this set-up page:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Last edited: