• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

class 3 permit?

Curtis C

out of curiosity i got reading and its still muddy to me. if i wanted to buy one, is the permit referring to me needing one to buy such a firearm or the dealer needing one? cause i keep seeing a ffl license needed as well and i'm guessing its for gun dealers.

garyh9900

You must be engaged in the business of selling Title II, or NFA, weapons(machine guns, short barreled rifles and shotguns, silences, and so on). You must also have an appropriate FFL in this case dealer/gunsmith(I believe, I'd have to find the appropriate section). The ffl will initially set you back at least $200(that's just the fee to the ATF, then you may require state and local licenses.), then then the SOT(Special Occupational Tax) 3 will run you $500 per year. Plus you just can't buy machine guns for yourself, your have to be engaged in the business of selling them. If you obtain your ffl and class 3 to just help your collection when the ATF finds out your going to have some problems.

mem1977

If I understand correctly and I hope I do. Myself living here in Kentucky, if I wanted to purchase a machine gun. I am allowed to? I don't need any sort of special permit or license. Am I right? :eek:

KBCraig

If I understand correctly and I hope I do. Myself living here in Kentucky, if I wanted to purchase a machine gun. I am allowed to? I don't need any sort of special permit or license. Am I right? :eek:

We have to use our words carefully here: no, you don't need a "special permit or license". You do need a tax stamp ($200) and a background check by ATF, though. "No permit or license needed" sounds like cash & carry at the hardware store, when it's much more complex and expensive than a normal gun purchase.

Under the current rules, you also need the approval of the chief law enforcement officer where you reside (police chief or sheriff, although there are alternatives). People whose CLEOs won't sign typically form a legal trust, and the trust then buys and owns the machine gun with no CLEO signature needed. The signature requirement is probably going away, though; there's a pending rule change that would eliminate it.

garyh9900

Also your not going to be able to purchase just any machine gun. The machine gun you want to purchase had to manufactured and registered before May 19, 1986. Any machine gun manufactured after that date is not legal for civilians to possess, unless your a ffl dealer with the class 3 sot(there are some other requirements as well). The market for pre-1986 machine guns is very high dollar. The last time I saw one for sale, a m-16 was running about $15,000, where a new would sell for about $850 to a department.