• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCL's issued

Captain Nemo

All CCL applications received in November should have been processed by the DoJ by now. Last count available to me is just over 57,000 licenceses have been issued. If all things are normal I suspect that this figure will be about 75% of the final count Somewhere in the neighborhood of 70,000. That means that out of a state population of 5,500,000 (2010 census) 1.3% of wisconsinites will be walking around with a concealed and dangerous weapon. Oh my god, blood will flow in the streets (facetious).

Example:

230,000+ deer are harvested during a typical nine day gun deer hunting season. 70+% are harvested on opening weekend when the interest is highest. The harvest count drops significantly after the initial surge has passed. This is statistically consistent with other high profile issues.

Last edited:

Jason in WI

I belive the 57,000 number posted the other day was received applications and only 27,000 or so have been processed.

Looking at other sites they are issuing well into the apps mailed in in 11-2 and more reports of people that mailed them in in 11-4 and 11-6 are being issued in volume.

I think they siad they had over 30,000 apps sent in mid week, so we are getting close for the DOJ to be almost through the first big "Hump", but they definitely have a way to go to process all the apps recived in november.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Thanks jason for the correction. I'm not sure what the actual real number of issued licenses is. Supposedly if 57,000 approved applications were received in November all should have been issued before Dec 15th. However, there appears to be a confusion as to whether or not the 45 days is a moving target. By that I mean; does an application received on Nov 30 have to be isssued by Dec 15 or by Jan 14th? Some comments I have read imply all applications received during the month of November must be issued by Dec 15th. If the later is the case then all 57,000 applications should have been honored by now, Dec 16th.

safcrkr

I believe it's 45 days from "day received" by DOJ, for all applications received from Nov.1st-Dec.1st. If received on 11/1, deadline would be 12/15. If received on 11/2, it'd be 12/16, 11/3 = 12/17, 11/4 = 12/18, and so on.

For those received 12/2 and after, it's 21 days from "day received". 12/2= 12/23, 12/3 = 12/24, etc.

If received by DOJ on 12/1, deadline would be 45 days from 12/1, or 1/14/2012.
If received by DOJ on 12/2, deadline would be 21 days from 12/2, or 12/23/2011.

Because of this deadline "roll-back" from 45 to 21 days, those received in Dec. (from 12/2 up to about 12/24), will have an earlier deadline than those received from mid-Nov. thru 12/1, depending on actual date received. (app received on 12/1 will have a deadline of 1/14/2012. An app received on 12/24 will also have a deadline of 1/14/2012. An app received on 11/30 will have the exact same 1/13/2012 deadline as one received on 12/23/2011).

Last edited:

hermannr

Cpt Nemo:

I think the DoJ and many others (me included) expect about 200,000-250,000 by the end of the first year, That would be equivilant to WA's 350,000 active permits when you consider the difference in population between the two states.

We have had our present shall issue concealed license law since 1961. The number has gone up a bit for us in the last few years, but it is somewhere around 5%, and has been for years.

BTW: Our OC without a license is a lot less convoluted than yours is, and there is no local option to restrict carry in local government buildings. Only courthouses, jails and MH facilities The only real restriction you remove with a CPL (other than the ability to legally conceal like when wearing a coat) is loaded vehicle carry, and you can even do that without a license in certain circumstances.

wisturkeyhunter

I'd guess that way more than half the people that applied for the ccl don't plan to carry very often. Most people I've talked to say stuff like "I only got it so if I need to I can" or "I probably won't carry much if at all". I wish I had their insite into the future to see bad chit coming my way.

jpm84092

Interesting observation Nemo. However, when the population of WI is adjusted to eliminate those under 21, those who are felons, those who have a conviction for domestic violence, and all others who are ineligible to purchase firearms for other reasons (adjudged mentally defective, in this country illegally, dishonorable discharge, etc), you will get a much better picture of the percentage of license holders versus those who are eligible, but for whatever reason, choose not to apply for a Wisconsin CWL.

The more licenses issued, the better. Concealed carry should change the politics of Wisconsin. Each license issued represents a voter who will be paying attention to the 2A record of each candidate.

markush

Interesting observation Nemo. However, when the population of WI is adjusted to eliminate those under 21, those who are felons, those who have a conviction for domestic violence, and all others who are ineligible to purchase firearms for other reasons (adjudged mentally defective, in this country illegally, dishonorable discharge, etc), you will get a much better picture of the percentage of license holders versus those who are eligible, but for whatever reason, choose not to apply for a Wisconsin CWL.

The more licenses issued, the better. Concealed carry should change the politics of Wisconsin. Each license issued represents a voter who will be paying attention to the 2A record of each candidate.

Are those numbers availible for any state? Just out of curiosity I'd like to see them.

dr4pat

CCL Issued

12/23/2011
Not all have been received, I mailed mine on Nov. 15th, the check has come back too my bank, but have not received my CCL.

M

McX

I'd guess that way more than half the people that applied for the ccl don't plan to carry very often. Most people I've talked to say stuff like "I only got it so if I need to I can" or "I probably won't carry much if at all". I wish I had their insite into the future to see bad chit coming my way.

all the damn time, everywhere i can legally be no exceptions.

M

McX

thusly spoken.

jpm84092

all the damn time, everywhere i can legally be no exceptions.

I resemble that remark. Unless it is a business trip that requires flying on the airlines, or a trip to the hospital, if I can not carry there, it isn't worth going there. (I still carry getting there.) On my last trip to WI in early November I carried, sometimes open, sometimes concealed using a little snub-nose .38 lent to me by a friend.