• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who has the lowest FFL transfer fee in the north Richmond area?

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
I haven't ordered anything online in a while and I'm not sure who has the best FFL transfer rate anymore. Anyone know the going rates around north Richmond shops?

A buddy of mine is asking. I promise to have him OC her when she gets here. :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dominion Shooting Range has a $28 dollar transfer fee. That is the cheapest that I have found so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it $25 + the $3 state-mandated fee that's supposed to support the instant check? So yes, it totals out at $28.

But it sure beats what Southern Police (the big box out on Midlo Pike) charged the last time I asked - $50 + the fee.

Just called Greentops and had to ask them to repeat it -- $75!!!!! I guess they just don't want to do transfers.

stay safe.

scouser

Garys Guns and Transfers charges $15 & 5% sales tax plus the $2 Instant Check fee. He's a good guy to deal with too, none of the gun store employee attitude that certain places have around this area.

Another place to look is Davidson's. You can pick out the new firearm you want and when you enter your zip code it will give a list of local dealers and their total price, a quick way to compare the difference in mark up and fees. You pay a flat 25% of the MSRP when you order, then you pay the balance of the total to your chosen dealer when you collect your firearm.

Blk97F150

There is a good FFL resource HERE. Pop in your zip code and it will list nearby FFL holders. Many of the listings will indicate their transfer fees.

This shop lists a $10 transfer fee (plus $2 NICS). I haven't used them, and am not specifically recommending them... just noticed their transfer price and passing it along.

Jim Jarrett
Patriot Services, Inc.
8949 Brucewood Drive
Richmond, VA 23235

Phone: 804-387-6463
Cell Phone: 804-272-6748

Long Gun Fee: $10.00
Hand Gun Fee: $10.00
NICS Fee: $2.00 Background check
Other Fee: 5% sales tax applies

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There is a good FFL resource HERE. Pop in your zip code and it will list nearby FFL holders. Many of the listings will indicate their transfer fees.

This shop lists a $10 transfer fee (plus $2 NICS). I haven't used them, and am not specifically recommending them... just noticed their transfer price and passing it along.

Jim Jarrett
Patriot Services, Inc.
8949 Brucewood Drive
Richmond, VA 23235

Phone: 804-387-6463
Cell Phone: 804-272-6748

Long Gun Fee: $10.00
Hand Gun Fee: $10.00
NICS Fee: $2.00 Background check
Other Fee: 5% sales tax applies

That's the General, Dark Sun's father.
Despite his offspring, he's a pretty decent fellow.....most of the time.
He was one that Bloomberg burned.

zoom6zoom

Garys Guns and Transfers charges $15 & 5% sales tax plus the $2 Instant Check fee. He's a good guy to deal with too, none of the gun store employee attitude that certain places have around this area.
Well, we tried using him once. He hadn't said anything about collecting tax when we set up the transfer. When called on it, he replied, "that's how I make my money." Not sure how it would make him money if he was turning it in to the state. He wouldn't answer that one.

TFred

Well, we tried using him once. He hadn't said anything about collecting tax when we set up the transfer. When called on it, he replied, "that's how I make my money." Not sure how it would make him money if he was turning it in to the state. He wouldn't answer that one.
That would be my question... some FFLs say they collect tax, others don't... how can this be? If the state requires it, then they should all do it. If the state does not, then don't you think they'll raise a few eyebrows if/when they get sales tax money from only some dealers?

I suppose this is an area that falls in between out-of-state sales and brick-and-mortar in-state sales. The out-of-state business is actually doing the sale, but the in-state FFL is just doing a transfer of possession.

The interesting part is that there is sufficient record-keeping to properly assign tax liability, but... do those in charge of taxes have the authority to see it?

Very interesting little niche here.

I can say this much: If I used an FFL that charged me state sales tax, you better believe I would make a few calls to ensure that the tax ended up in the right place... and I would make sure that the FFL knew that I would be doing that as well! If he showed you the door after you said that... well I guess that gives you your answer. I would suspect the penalty for tax fraud is much greater than the penalty for forgetting to pay taxes on an item you bought on-line from an out-of-state business.

TFred

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Awesome! Thanks for the great info!

I should have mentioned that I didn't need Greentop's price...I knew they were $50 when I last set foot in their shop over 2 years ago. Not surprised they went up...they weren't interested back then either. That bridge has long been burned.

Last edited: