• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Late Notice Coffee - Tomorrow 10am - Monroe Starbucks

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I am meeting with one of the individuals that had the interaction with Monroe PD to get more understanding from him. Sounds like there is a good back story. I'll be bringing a copy of FOIA documents I recieved (no audio yet).

Details:
Starbucks in Monroe (next to big 5)
Tomorrow Saturday 12/17 at 10am

At the end of Hwy 522 and Hwy 2
Google Map: http://g.co/maps/7bfqt

Last edited:

rbaconator

No starbucks!!!

May I respectfully request that NO meetings be held at starbucks? When I was in Iraq my company mess sergeant had ordered a professional esspresso machine. We wrote to starbucks requesting cups, lids, straws, coffee, flavors, anything. They responded that they would NOT send us anything. Seattle's Best sent us 2 boxes full of everything we would need to operate a combat cafe. BOYCOTT STARBUCKS!!!!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
May I respectfully request that NO meetings be held at starbucks? When I was in Iraq my company mess sergeant had ordered a professional esspresso machine. We wrote to starbucks requesting cups, lids, straws, coffee, flavors, anything. They responded that they would NOT send us anything. Seattle's Best sent us 2 boxes full of everything we would need to operate a combat cafe. BOYCOTT STARBUCKS!!!!

rbaconator,
We support Starbucks because of the stance they publicly took regarding 2nd ammendment against the gun control crowd. You may be interested in this article or the several others if you search google.

You may also be referring to this snopes email?

Also worth a read from starbucks on support of troops: http://news.starbucks.com/about+starbucks/myths+facts/militarydonations.htm

-slapmonkay

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Let me get this straight.

You hate a company because they declined your request for free stuff. Crazy. How dastardly of them. Not giving free stuff to people who ask for it.

Out of curiosity, why do you think private companies should give you free stuff? Feeling mighty special?

You know Costco sells cups, lids, straws, and coffee, right? Prices are affordable. Just look in the business section of their website.

By the way...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle's_Best_Coffee

Seattle's Best Coffee, a wholly owned subsidiary of Starbucks, is a specialty coffee retailer and wholesaler based in Seattle, Washington.

So you just keep going to SBC, and give Starbucks your money roflmao.

Last edited:

FMCDH

By the way...

Dang Dave, you beat me too it, I was going to point out that SBC was owned by Starbucks. :lol:

I personally don't care for Starbucks coffee, but I have nothing against the company itself. I do however love SBC.

I have to agree with Dave here, that Starbucks shouldn't be vilified because they wouldn't send "free stuff". And frankly, its not as easy as just tossing postage on a package and sending it to a unit overseas, not to mention a combat unit possibly in a combat zone. There are procedures that must be followed if they don't want their packages sent right back to them.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
rbaconator,
We support Starbucks because of the stance they publicly took regarding 2nd ammendment against the gun control crowd. You may be interested in this article or the several others if you search google.

You may also be referring to this snopes email?

Also worth a read from starbucks on support of troops: http://news.starbucks.com/about+starbucks/myths+facts/militarydonations.htm

-slapmonkay

Let me get this straight.

You hate a company because they declined your request for free stuff. Crazy. How dastardly of them. Not giving free stuff to people who ask for it.

Out of curiosity, why do you think private companies should give you free stuff? Feeling mighty special?

You know Costco sells cups, lids, straws, and coffee, right? Prices are affordable. Just look in the business section of their website.

By the way...

Very well put guys!!!

Welcome back, thank you for your service and I agree you don't get free stuff and being a soldier or vet does not mean you deserve special treatment.

rbaconator

:cuss: It wasn't the lack of free stuff I was talking about. Its the lack of support for the American soldier. Thats what irks me. As for them allowing open carry... that gives them a +1 in my book bringing them back to neutral. I wasn't talking about the snopes thing either. I was Army but it sounded like the same kind of bad attitude letter in the snopes story. It is true that Costco sells cups and lids and such but there was no costco on base or anywhere else in Iraq that I know of. same for walmarts, safeways or TOP foods. Just the PX and their limited selection. We didnt mind forking out the $1400 for the machine. So maybe try getting some more info before assuming I think I'm such a special fracker that I deserve free stuff just because I ask. Furthermore it makes no difference to me who owns who because when the mood stikes to get coffee I go to one of the locally owned shops. The service is about the same, the coffee is about the same, and I know its helping those in my community. :cuss:

ok off my soap box for now...

Dave_pro2a

:cuss: It wasn't the lack of free stuff I was talking about. Its the lack of support for the American soldier. Thats what irks me. As for them allowing open carry... that gives them a +1 in my book bringing them back to neutral. I wasn't talking about the snopes thing either. I was Army but it sounded like the same kind of bad attitude letter in the snopes story. It is true that Costco sells cups and lids and such but there was no costco on base or anywhere else in Iraq that I know of. same for walmarts, safeways or TOP foods. Just the PX and their limited selection. We didnt mind forking out the $1400 for the machine. So maybe try getting some more info before assuming I think I'm such a special fracker that I deserve free stuff just because I ask. Furthermore it makes no difference to me who owns who because when the mood stikes to get coffee I go to one of the locally owned shops. The service is about the same, the coffee is about the same, and I know its helping those in my community. :cuss:

I honestly can't decipher WTH you're bitching about.

Try full sentences.

Proper punctuation.

Paragraphs.

Bullet points.

Venn Diagrams. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

Flow Charts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowchart

Please try something, because I'm honestly curious about your position.

Your second post is just a restatement of your original BS complaint: they didn't give you free stuff. You just added "OMG it means they don't support the troops!"

You bought a $1400 coffee maker (I use a $16.99 one myself). Somehow you think that entitles you to a long list of free products, in high quantities -- simply because you are in the military. I get that. I also understand it seems to really, REALLY piss you off that Starbucks didn't send you a giant box of cups, straws, sugar packets, lids, napkins, et cetera.

Based on my understanding of what you posted I think you are 110% wrong.

Last edited:

Tawnos

Starbucks did send you stuff. As pointed out... Seattle's Best Coffee is owned by starbucks.

Dave_pro2a

Starbucks did send you stuff. As pointed out... Seattle's Best Coffee is owned by starbucks.

Since I actually want to understand where this dude is coming from I'll point out the following:

1) The request could have been before Starbucks bought SBC. Mr. I deserve free stuff didn't say when the request was made.
2) When SBC was sold to Starbucks, AFC Enterprises retained franchise rights for ALL Seattle Best Coffee stores on military bases. So Mr. Specials request could have been forwarded to AFC Enterprises and fulfilled by them under the DBA of SBC -- not Starbucks.

Again I'm honestly curious about the mindset of "they didn't give me free stuff cause I'm in the military, so that necessarily means they do not support the troops."

If that's the kind of thinking prevalent in the military, then I really dread the coming troop draw-down overseas. I don't want to rub elbows with people who have that kind of mentality.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Professional espresso machine??????
WHAT? My era really missed the boat. I can remember setting in a hooch, drinking Hobo coffee and darn glad to have that.
Have the meetup at Starbucks and drink a toast, to the absent OCers.