• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clear Creek Shooting Range- Salt Lick, KY

Cgm2414

Today I decided to take a trip to CCSR, I was the only one there which was pretty nice. This was my first trip there and I was kind of surprised by the trash that people had put down range to shoot, I mean come on how hard is it to pick up your target before you leave? I am a tad bit disappointed to say the least, but I guess that is to be expected with no range officer there. If any of you who have never been and plan on going I would suggest taking a target stand as there really isn't a place to hang a target. My over all experience was pleasant though and I will be returning since it is only a 15 minute drive from my house.

It also helped me build up a bit more courage to open carry, the gun just feels very natural being on my side so hopefully in the next couple weeks I will take the leap

DrakeZ07

I go there almost every weekend to shoot, year round~ Tis not the longest range to shoot at, only 223yds; but Five bucks makes it the cheapest I've been to. Though I'm a bit too honest, I've been told, even if no one's around, I still fill out the lil ticket and put the money in the box thingy xD

Usually when I go there, and there's trash down range, I'll go pick it up and put it in the lil dumpsters, as I build my own target stands out of plywood and 2x4's, and whatever I bring in, I take out with me, including brass :D

Tis good to start out on your OC experiance, next time try it with other people around, then move on to OC'ing around Salt Lick; even if it doesn't have anything worth stopping for, just start off small. Like my first OC experiance, I did it at the Midland Frosty freeze~ :D

If ya ever want some company down at Clear Creek, lemme know, I'd be happy to shoot a few rounds with ya. Well, Okay more than a few rounds, I have 200rnds of rifle ammo, and a rifle scope that resets itself after I get done zero'ing it in xD

What sort of sidearm you carry?

Cgm2414

Right now just to get my confidence up, a hi-point .380 which is for sale at the moment, my main carry will be a Springfield XD .40 after I pick it up this coming week :banana:. I probably won't be back down there until after the first of the year but I would be more than happy to have some company then, just let me know what days would work for you.

Brian D.

Hey I've been there, while on a little mini vacation one summer. It's typical to find ranges run by the Corps of Engineers, National Forest Service, etc in trashed out condition. Drake it's good on ya to clean up like that.

For safety's sake whenever I'm using a public range out in the boonies, one gun stays on me and loaded at all times, even when going down range. Plus I try to keep an eye out towards the firing line when I'm forward of it.

Cgm2414

I had my pistol on my side the whole time while I was shooting and going down range, I guess growing up in the boonies and around the cave run lake area never really caused me to be to uneasy, I will admit I was a bit uneasy right before I left because I could hear a large animal walking through the leaves to the left of the range and I didnt have the proper firearm to defend my self being I only had a .380 and a .22. and that was ultimately the deciding factor on me leaving, I was alone with no cell phone service at all.

I would enjoy a get together by other members of this forum at Clear Creek if anyone would be interested.

DrakeZ07

Put up a date and a time, or something like that after Christmas, I'd be happy to head out there. I'd even stop and grab a pizza or two from Doughboys in Owingsville, if Y'all wanted to eat and shoot... They have great pizza and strombolis.

I got enough wood for one 5' target stand, and a 2-3' pistol stand, but I'm fresh out of targets; So Bring some targets, we can do some short and long range shooting; I've got some tannerite I haven't used yet, somewhere around here. Never had a problem using it at the range, and it's legal as far as I know... Or atleast the retired cop I bought it from said so lol.

Last edited:

Cgm2414

I am free any day starting the 3rd of January through the 15th then weekends only after those dates due to school.

So if anyone would like to join in post a date that would best work for you after new years.

DrakeZ07

Hmm, I have a female friend visiting from the PRI-Chicago for a couple weeks, and she reads OCDO from time to time when I get into a hyper rant mode, so how about the 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th? Anytime after 10am, I like to sleep in :p

autoxr84

Im game

I can make it Saturday Jan 7th. I get off at 1 that day but can head there after work. Should take me about 2 1/2 hours to get there. I have been looking for a good excuse to head out there again. lol So is that gonna work for anyone else?

Cgm2414

If I offer to 'gift' a few gallons of my home brewed mead/IPA, would that sweeten the deal? :p

I'm going to have to pass on that Lol.

Autoxr84-That would probably work for me I just don't want to make any promises for my self.

Actually that won't work for me I was just infformed that I will have family visiting, are you open any other day?

Last edited:

autoxr84

Sunday, Jan. 8th Work?

I am open to just about any Sunday. So if that weekend doesnt work just let me know what will work for ya. I was just trying to include Drake and friend too. I would do both days but driving there from Lex. and gas being the way it is... Well we all know what that is like. lol But let me know and I'll be there.

DrakeZ07

I am open to just about any Sunday. So if that weekend doesnt work just let me know what will work for ya. I was just trying to include Drake and friend too. I would do both days but driving there from Lex. and gas being the way it is... Well we all know what that is like. lol But let me know and I'll be there.

Well, I'm good for any weekend, and any weekday till the 9th, after that it'd just be weekends, sadly.

The 8th works; but if anyone wants to head to the range anytime before then, just let me know.

Autoxr; If ya dont want to spend the last 20 miles getting there on gas, you're welcome to Park in Mt. Sterling, or at my place and we can carpool there. Just expect to be holding the food while en route to the range xD ... I always bring food to the range, just something about shooting that makes me hungry.

Cgm2414

Sadly I will still have family in, it was sort of just surprise trip for them, so you guys go and have fun and be safe.

autoxr84

Well one trip wont hurt as bad. lol Thanks for the offer. Plus I am trying to get a few people to come with me as well. But which day would work for your friend and you? The more the merrier!

Plus I got a new bipod on the rifle I wanna play with! lol :banana:

DrakeZ07

Well one trip wont hurt as bad. lol Thanks for the offer. Plus I am trying to get a few people to come with me as well. But which day would work for your friend and you? The more the merrier!

Plus I got a new bipod on the rifle I wanna play with! lol :banana:

Any day this week and next is fine for me, anytime after 10am would be perfect *happy face*

More people would be awesome to have along. Though as I said in a previous post, I only have enough wood for one rifle target, with a 4' long board, good for two smaller target markers, and another smaller pistol target.

What sort of rifle ya got to play with?

Myself, I will be bringing along my S&W 30-06, and my revolver; Since my pink/black Hi-Point took a **** on me and it's at the gun smith xD only fires when I lock and load after each round >.<

Y'all want chips? or pizza? any special toppings? I hate eating in front of people, lol. I always keep a case of water in my jeep, so if ya want something else, then bring some snacks or drinks of your choosing.

Oh, and with the people coming along, make sure the have eyes and ears on hand; I only have ear plugs enough for one extra person.

I look forward to the plans and meet, you decision on the day/date :D

autoxr84

I got the trusty ol' Remington 700. Just got the Bipod after wanting one for the past year. lol But I got targets I can bring as well. Mine will just consist of a few poster boards from Dollar Tree. :D Cheap and to the point! lol Plus some paper circle targets taped to them.

Drake-P.M. sent

DrakeZ07

I got the trusty ol' Remington 700. Just got the Bipod after wanting one for the past year. lol But I got targets I can bring as well. Mine will just consist of a few poster boards from Dollar Tree. :D Cheap and to the point! lol Plus some paper circle targets taped to them.

Drake-P.M. sent

Hmm, would that be the Rem 7mag? or a different 700? Ah well, 'fraid I'm not too knowledgeable on bolt-action rifles. xD

Git your PM, replying in a bit~

09jisaac

Hmm, would that be the Rem 7mag? or a different 700? Ah well, 'fraid I'm not too knowledgeable on bolt-action rifles. xD

Git your PM, replying in a bit~

Remington 700 comes in a variety of calibers (if that is what you're not too knowledgeable about). I have one in .308 and I bought one for my gf in .243.