• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question: Seems there's a contradiction in California Open Carry summary.

WhyHow

On CaliforniOpenCarry.org's summary of new (AB144) laws, there seems to be a contradiction. The summary (found here: http://californiaopencarry.org/faq.html , says this [Question] (toward the bottom of the page):

"Is it legal to open carry while driving a car, or while riding a motorcycle?

Yes. There is no legal difference between being in a vehicle (or on a motorcycle) or not, with regard to open carry. The locked case or vehicle trunk requirements refer to concealed carry only. However, if you will be passing through any school zones, then you also must place handguns in a locked case."

It would be my understanding that the carrying of any concealable firearm "exposed" in a vehicle (or while riding a motorcycle), loaded or unloaded, would be a violation. In other words, under 12026, now carrying an unloaded pistol or revolver on your car seat, or carried in a belt holster, whether loaded or not, if driving upon a public road or street or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is prolhibited, would be unlawful.

However, the carrying of a pistol or revolver, loaded or unloaded in an unincorporated, or upon a private street or roadway, or within an area where the discharge of a firearm (as on BLM or National Forest land) would be legal, then the carrying of a loaded or unloaded firearm, or having it on the car seat loaded or unloaded would be legal.

Anyone want to clarify this for me?

hermannr

Hasn't CA restricted urban loaded carry since the Mulford act? but carry outside of an uban area is ok?

It was my understanding, that after 1 Jan 2012, there will then be a change that there is no unlicensed carry in urban areas?