Thread: looking for holster

Question looking for holster

Last edited by nate0486; 12-20-2011 at 01:00 AM.
    its better to be judged by twelve then carried by six.....unknown

Keep the thumb break, train with it. Retention FTW. Don't want to end up like the guy in the Virginia gun grab and killed with your own gun, do you?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Thumb breaks are fine retention is a mindset and a learned skill not a holster. A holster such as the Safariland ALS with active retention is nice but not required. Being aware of the idiots around you is more important in my book.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Thumbs up Being aware of the idiots around you

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Keep the thumb break, train with it. Retention FTW. Don't want to end up like the guy in the Virginia gun grab and killed with your own gun, do you?
    A retention holster isn't going to stop someone from grapping your firearm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    Thumb breaks are fine retention is a mindset and a learned skill not a holster. A holster such as the Safariland ALS with active retention is nice but not required. Being aware of the idiots around you is more important in my book.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    DING DING!!!!
    We have a winner!!!!!
    Last edited by Marco; 12-22-2011 at 02:04 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    A retention holster isn't going to stop someone from grapping your firearm!!!
    Grabbing no. Actually taking it, chances greatly decreased with active retention. Granted a thumb break is kind of a bare bones retention if it's just a snap break IMO. But then if you use something like a thumb break lock(I have it on my bianchi level 3) where the BG would have to know to bush the slide forward then push the break directly toward me(theres also a small piece of plastic(shown below) that keeps the thumb break from being broken unless specifically pushed the right direction and also negates the "Rip away" which standard thumb break may not. All in all it adds time to react but also to draw. Try a few holsters in a gun shop and see what you like. I agree retention is also a skill but having a holster that gives you that precious 1-2 seconds to backhand/elbow the BG trying to take your gun and drawing yourself may be the difference. Below are some pics of the holster I mentioned. 1 is the extra plastic piece that makes ripping the gun out pretty much impossible unless you push the break in first(in which case it still won't come out unless pulled directly up because of trigger guard passive retention). 2 is the break lock disengaged. 3 is the break engaged which basically looks like a thick break. Last there's one of my px4 inside it with the break locked as if it were on. I can draw with the break locked in about 1.5sec but that came with practice and the trigger guard passive retention adds to the "getting it right" factor. take from this what you will, good luck and "carry on"!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584185.370085.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	7648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584203.872379.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	7649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584211.539759.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	7650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584220.286248.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	7651  
    Last edited by Sorcice; 12-22-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    Grabbing no. Actually taking it, chances greatly decreased with active retention. Granted a thumb break is kind of a bare bones retention IMO. But then unless you use something like a thumb break lock(I have it on my bianchi level 3) where the BG would have to know to bush the slide forward then push the break directly toward me(theres also a small piece of plastic that keeps the thumb break from being broken unless specifically pushed the right direction and also negates the "Rip away" which standard thumb break may not. All in all it adds time to react but also to draw. Try a few holsters in a gun shop and see what you like. I agree retention is also a skill but having a holster that gives you that precious 1-2 seconds to backhand the BG trying to take your gun and drawing yourself may be the difference. Below are some pics of the holster I mentioned. 1 is the extra plastic piece that makes ripping the gun out pretty much impossible unless you push the break in first. 2 is the break lock disengaged. 3 is the break engaged which basically looks like a thick break. Last there's one of my px4 inside it with the break locked as if it were on. I can draw with the break locked in about 1.5sec but that came with practice and the trigger guard passive retention adds to the "getting it right" factor. take from this what you will, good luck and "carry on"!
    Most LEO's use level II and III and they still have their guns snatched from their retention holsters.
    If a retention holster makes your feel safe fine and dandy, feeling safe and being safe are two different things.

I'm not knocking folks that like/use them, but they aren't for everyone and they will not prevent someone movitated at taking your gun from you.
    If you allowed someone to touch (grap) your gun your already behind the curve.
    IMHO, too many folks rely on their rentenion holster to keep them safe. Many believe the BG isn't or doesn't know how their holster works, in error might I add.

haha...
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

1st I agree. However, the point I was getting across isn't "go buy this right now it's amazing and impossible to defeat" it was merely a (admittedly long) qualifying statement to my first about thumb breaks and the quality of different ones.

2nd in the usual situation where your aware of your surrounding and see potential BGs yes, IF they manage to get your gun your probably in need of some training if you aren't dead.. However, there are many cases where that won't stop the initial try. For instance crowds, misdirection(2 person team that spots you walking and plans the snatch. One walks up on your non gun side and asks for the time while the other approaches and goes for it.), etc. attention to surroundings is important but you can't account for everything all the time. Some retention can be helpful.

As for LEOs losing their guns. Wow. I know it happens but as paranoid as they usually are I'm not sure how. Complacency I guess?