• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

looking for holster

TheQ

Keep the thumb break, train with it. Retention FTW. Don't want to end up like the guy in the Virginia gun grab and killed with your own gun, do you?

autosurgeon

Thumb breaks are fine retention is a mindset and a learned skill not a holster. A holster such as the Safariland ALS with active retention is nice but not required. Being aware of the idiots around you is more important in my book.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

CV67 PAT

Thumb breaks are fine retention is a mindset and a learned skill not a holster. A holster such as the Safariland ALS with active retention is nice but not required. Being aware of the idiots around you is more important in my book.

This^

Marco

Being aware of the idiots around you

Keep the thumb break, train with it. Retention FTW. Don't want to end up like the guy in the Virginia gun grab and killed with your own gun, do you?
A retention holster isn't going to stop someone from grapping your firearm!!!

DING DING!!!!
We have a winner!!!!!

Last edited:

Sorcice

A retention holster isn't going to stop someone from grapping your firearm!!!

Grabbing no. Actually taking it, chances greatly decreased with active retention. Granted a thumb break is kind of a bare bones retention if it's just a snap break IMO. But then if you use something like a thumb break lock(I have it on my bianchi level 3) where the BG would have to know to bush the slide forward then push the break directly toward me(theres also a small piece of plastic(shown below) that keeps the thumb break from being broken unless specifically pushed the right direction and also negates the "Rip away" which standard thumb break may not. All in all it adds time to react but also to draw. Try a few holsters in a gun shop and see what you like. I agree retention is also a skill but having a holster that gives you that precious 1-2 seconds to backhand/elbow the BG trying to take your gun and drawing yourself may be the difference. Below are some pics of the holster I mentioned. 1 is the extra plastic piece that makes ripping the gun out pretty much impossible unless you push the break in first(in which case it still won't come out unless pulled directly up because of trigger guard passive retention). 2 is the break lock disengaged. 3 is the break engaged which basically looks like a thick break. Last there's one of my px4 inside it with the break locked as if it were on. I can draw with the break locked in about 1.5sec but that came with practice and the trigger guard passive retention adds to the "getting it right" factor. take from this what you will, good luck and "carry on"!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584185.370085.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584185.370085.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 95
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584203.872379.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584203.872379.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584211.539759.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584211.539759.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 75
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584220.286248.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324584220.286248.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Marco

Grabbing no. Actually taking it, chances greatly decreased with active retention. Granted a thumb break is kind of a bare bones retention IMO. But then unless you use something like a thumb break lock(I have it on my bianchi level 3) where the BG would have to know to bush the slide forward then push the break directly toward me(theres also a small piece of plastic that keeps the thumb break from being broken unless specifically pushed the right direction and also negates the "Rip away" which standard thumb break may not. All in all it adds time to react but also to draw. Try a few holsters in a gun shop and see what you like. I agree retention is also a skill but having a holster that gives you that precious 1-2 seconds to backhand the BG trying to take your gun and drawing yourself may be the difference. Below are some pics of the holster I mentioned. 1 is the extra plastic piece that makes ripping the gun out pretty much impossible unless you push the break in first. 2 is the break lock disengaged. 3 is the break engaged which basically looks like a thick break. Last there's one of my px4 inside it with the break locked as if it were on. I can draw with the break locked in about 1.5sec but that came with practice and the trigger guard passive retention adds to the "getting it right" factor. take from this what you will, good luck and "carry on"!

Most LEO's use level II and III and they still have their guns snatched from their retention holsters.
If a retention holster makes your feel safe fine and dandy, feeling safe and being safe are two different things.

I'm not knocking folks that like/use them, but they aren't for everyone and they will not prevent someone movitated at taking your gun from you.
If you allowed someone to touch (grap) your gun your already behind the curve.
IMHO, too many folks rely on their rentenion holster to keep them safe. Many believe the BG isn't or doesn't know how their holster works, in error might I add.

haha...

Sorcice

1st I agree. However, the point I was getting across isn't "go buy this right now it's amazing and impossible to defeat" it was merely a (admittedly long) qualifying statement to my first about thumb breaks and the quality of different ones.

2nd in the usual situation where your aware of your surrounding and see potential BGs yes, IF they manage to get your gun your probably in need of some training if you aren't dead.. However, there are many cases where that won't stop the initial try. For instance crowds, misdirection(2 person team that spots you walking and plans the snatch. One walks up on your non gun side and asks for the time while the other approaches and goes for it.), etc. attention to surroundings is important but you can't account for everything all the time. Some retention can be helpful.

As for LEOs losing their guns. Wow. I know it happens but as paranoid as they usually are I'm not sure how. Complacency I guess?