Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 27,623 concealed carry permits printed - Fox11Online Madison

  1. #1
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest

    27,623 concealed carry permits printed - Fox11Online Madison

    http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...ermits-printed
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox11Online
    Published : Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 3:43 PM CST

    MADISON - The Wisconsin Department of Justice says it met this week's deadline to process conceal carry permits applied for November 1. That's the first day applications were accepted under the new state law. The department had 45 days to process the applications.

    Overall, a total of 59,029 applications have been received and 27,623 licenses have been printed. The DOJ says 6,577 have been rejected.

    Any application filed starting December 1 has to be processed within 21 days. So far, the DOJ says it will be able to meet that deadline.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    I am from Washington but that seems like a large rejection percentage of 11%. I am curious if they categorize the rejections and what the percentage breakdown of reasons for rejection are.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  3. #3
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    We have a rather unique training affirmation situation on going due to untimely changes to the Emergency Rule implementing our new concealed carry law. The training requirements were significantly changed within November, the first month.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643

    Exclamation Still Nothing In My Mailbox....

    My application was mailed on 1NOV, check posted to my account on 10 November....nothing. Time to write my letter to the D.O.J. with a copy of the cashed check asking the status of the application.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

    “Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

    —John F. Kennedy

  5. #5
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    27K down, 200K to go to get to the averge number of permits in other states.

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    More than a 19% rejection rate!

    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    I am from Washington but that seems like a large rejection percentage of 11%. I am curious if they categorize the rejections and what the percentage breakdown of reasons for rejection are.
    27,623 issued. 6,577 rejected. Total processed, 34,200. Percent rejected of those processed, 19.23.

    That does seem like a very high percentage. I suspect that many were for relatively small errors that could be corrected with a doover.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Janesville, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    115
    Yes my girlfriend is one. She moved in with me not long ago. She had the post office change her address to my place, but has not yet changed her DMV address. She applied for her cc with her old (parents) address that she still has with the DMV, her car registration, etc. She planned on waiting to change her DMV address when her license expires soon and was going to immediately change her CC address as well. But they refused her. I'm curious on how they found the address mis-match, as she only notified the post office to forward her mail here.
    Which raises more questions. Do I HAVE to have a state issued Drivers license or ID to get a cc? Is a transient living in the state not allowed to apply for CC because they may not have a permanant address? Would a college kid (like my GF) living on/near campus getting his mail, yet having his parents address listed with the DMV for car registration etc also be denied?
    Last edited by kawisixer01; 12-16-2011 at 10:02 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    Thank you HHK:

    So they have 45 days to process each approved November application starting the day it was received at the DoJ.
    Last edited by Captain Nemo; 12-17-2011 at 06:39 AM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    Following is the number of active right to carry permits/conceal carry permits in the five nearby states:

    IA 36,000
    MI 290,731
    MN 88,824
    ND 14,762
    SD 58,287

    WI count not included because count is changing daily.
    MI inflates the average. 4 counties in MI: Oakland, Wayne, Macomb and Kent have a combined population of 3,962,789 which is nearly as high as the whole state of WI which had a 2010 population of about 5,500,000.


    Tot 488,604
    Avg 97,720

    Last updated Dec 7, 2011.



    http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm
    Last edited by Captain Nemo; 12-17-2011 at 07:19 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Cool For your viewing pleasure....

    Sorry I don't have the direct link for a cite, but the DOJ is forecasting ~125,000 licenses issued by the end of their fiscal year on 30 June. That equals ~22/1000. This table shows the present situation for licenses per 1000 population in all the states, based on figures fromhttp://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm. I took the liberty of using the 125,000 DOJ figure to show where we may be headed, and it shows that the DOJ probably based their figure on the average number of permits issued over the whole country.


    Last edited by davegran; 12-17-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    Excluding WI and IL. The total count of active right to carry and conceal carry divided by 48 indicates a nation wide average of a bit over 137,000. If the number of permits issued in FL and UT are adjusted for non-resident permits the nationwide average is probably close to 125,000. I still feel comfortable with my projection of 76,000 - 78,000 as the stabilized WI. count, 1.4 percent of the state population. Horrors of all horrors. We will revert back to the "old west" and blood will run in the streets.

    I think the issue of concealed carry is largely an issue of the more populated areas of the state. As one gets outstate many are just fine with open carry. With the passage of the changes to vehicle carry and the new castle doctrine the only thing concealed carry brings to the table in outstate is carry of unloaded and uncased firearms in the 1000 foot school zone. I don't feel that is a significant carrot to outstate residents. Multi-state carry is also not a significant driver. I think the constitutional right to open carry will keep the WI count lower than expected. Just my opinion.

  12. #12
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    I think Pennsylvannia has about 5 percent of the populaiton with permits

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Following is the number of active right to carry permits/conceal carry permits in the five nearby states:

    IA 36,000
    MI 290,731
    MN 88,824
    ND 14,762
    SD 58,287

    WI count not included because count is changing daily.
    MI inflates the average. 4 counties in MI: Oakland, Wayne, Macomb and Kent have a combined population of 3,962,789 which is nearly as high as the whole state of WI which had a 2010 population of about 5,500,000.


    Tot 488,604
    Avg 97,720

    Last updated Dec 7, 2011.



    http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm
    I would expect Wisconsin to end with about the same percentage of permits, which would be about 280,000 permits total. Of course, if Wisconsin passes constitutional carry quickly, that number might never reach that high. It has not even been two months, with only resident permits, and over 50,000 people have applied for permits.

  13. #13
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Thumbs up The Carry State

    Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    I would expect Wisconsin to end with about the same percentage of permits, which would be about 280,000 permits total. Of course, if Wisconsin passes constitutional carry quickly, that number might never reach that high. It has not even been two months, with only resident permits, and over 50,000 people have applied for permits.
    I'd guess that by today they have received over 60,000 applications.... My opinion.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  14. #14
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    "The Carry State" I like that

    Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    I'd guess that by today they have received over 60,000 applications.... My opinion.
    Wisconsin's response to Florida as the "Gunshine State".

    Good play on words!

  15. #15
    Regular Member Cobra469's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Allis, WI, , USA
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by kawisixer01 View Post
    Yes my girlfriend is one. She moved in with me not long ago. She had the post office change her address to my place, but has not yet changed her DMV address. She applied for her cc with her old (parents) address that she still has with the DMV, her car registration, etc. She planned on waiting to change her DMV address when her license expires soon and was going to immediately change her CC address as well. But they refused her. I'm curious on how they found the address mis-match, as she only notified the post office to forward her mail here.
    Which raises more questions. Do I HAVE to have a state issued Drivers license or ID to get a cc? Is a transient living in the state not allowed to apply for CC because they may not have a permanant address? Would a college kid (like my GF) living on/near campus getting his mail, yet having his parents address listed with the DMV for car registration etc also be denied?
    Yes you have to have a DOT issued ID or Drivers License. This also has to match the address on your application. If you moved though you can electronically update your ID for free online. Hope this helps your girlfriend update information so that she may get her permit.

  16. #16
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Thumbs up The Carry State Part 2

    Just some wild speculation to draw a little friendly fire.... The solid lines are actual historical data from the DOJ and the dotted green lines are the wild speculation. However, the latest figures do point to the possibility of this many applications coming in. Time will tell. The graph probably points to a need for more coffee this morning....

    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  17. #17
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    That graph looks pretty good.

    Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    Just some wild speculation to draw a little friendly fire.... The solid lines are actual historical data from the DOJ and the dotted green lines are the wild speculation. However, the latest figures do point to the possibility of this many applications coming in. Time will tell. The graph probably points to a need for more coffee this morning....

    On hearing how many permit applications have come in, It looks quite accurate. I thought they would slow down more quickly, but they have not. They need to get more people on the job.

    This is good news for Wisconsin gun rights. The numbers that have already been submitted to surpass the percentages in four shall issue states: New Mexico, Indiana, Louisiana, and Nebraska.

    Pennsylvania which has over twice the population of Wisconsin, only had 95,000 permit in their first year. Wisconsin could well top that!
    Last edited by ccwinstructor; 12-19-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added Pennsylvania data.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •