• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

27,623 concealed carry permits printed - Fox11Online Madison

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/wisconsin/27623-concealed-carry-permits-printed
Fox11Online said:
Published : Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 3:43 PM CST

MADISON - The Wisconsin Department of Justice says it met this week's deadline to process conceal carry permits applied for November 1. That's the first day applications were accepted under the new state law. The department had 45 days to process the applications.

Overall, a total of 59,029 applications have been received and 27,623 licenses have been printed. The DOJ says 6,577 have been rejected.

Any application filed starting December 1 has to be processed within 21 days. So far, the DOJ says it will be able to meet that deadline.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I am from Washington but that seems like a large rejection percentage of 11%. I am curious if they categorize the rejections and what the percentage breakdown of reasons for rejection are.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

We have a rather unique training affirmation situation on going due to untimely changes to the Emergency Rule implementing our new concealed carry law. The training requirements were significantly changed within November, the first month.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Still Nothing In My Mailbox....

My application was mailed on 1NOV, check posted to my account on 10 November....nothing. Time to write my letter to the D.O.J. with a copy of the cashed check asking the status of the application.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
More than a 19% rejection rate!

I am from Washington but that seems like a large rejection percentage of 11%. I am curious if they categorize the rejections and what the percentage breakdown of reasons for rejection are.

27,623 issued. 6,577 rejected. Total processed, 34,200. Percent rejected of those processed, 19.23.

That does seem like a very high percentage. I suspect that many were for relatively small errors that could be corrected with a doover.

kawisixer01

Yes my girlfriend is one. She moved in with me not long ago. She had the post office change her address to my place, but has not yet changed her DMV address. She applied for her cc with her old (parents) address that she still has with the DMV, her car registration, etc. She planned on waiting to change her DMV address when her license expires soon and was going to immediately change her CC address as well. But they refused her. I'm curious on how they found the address mis-match, as she only notified the post office to forward her mail here.
Which raises more questions. Do I HAVE to have a state issued Drivers license or ID to get a cc? Is a transient living in the state not allowed to apply for CC because they may not have a permanant address? Would a college kid (like my GF) living on/near campus getting his mail, yet having his parents address listed with the DMV for car registration etc also be denied?

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Following is the number of active right to carry permits/conceal carry permits in the five nearby states:

IA 36,000
MI 290,731
MN 88,824
ND 14,762
SD 58,287

WI count not included because count is changing daily.
MI inflates the average. 4 counties in MI: Oakland, Wayne, Macomb and Kent have a combined population of 3,962,789 which is nearly as high as the whole state of WI which had a 2010 population of about 5,500,000.

Tot 488,604
Avg 97,720

Last updated Dec 7, 2011.

http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
For your viewing pleasure....

Sorry I don't have the direct link for a cite, but the DOJ is forecasting ~125,000 licenses issued by the end of their fiscal year on 30 June. That equals ~22/1000. This table shows the present situation for licenses per 1000 population in all the states, based on figures fromhttp://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm. I took the liberty of using the 125,000 DOJ figure to show where we may be headed, and it shows that the DOJ probably based their figure on the average number of permits issued over the whole country.

wlsluc.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Excluding WI and IL. The total count of active right to carry and conceal carry divided by 48 indicates a nation wide average of a bit over 137,000. If the number of permits issued in FL and UT are adjusted for non-resident permits the nationwide average is probably close to 125,000. I still feel comfortable with my projection of 76,000 - 78,000 as the stabilized WI. count, 1.4 percent of the state population. Horrors of all horrors. We will revert back to the "old west" and blood will run in the streets.

I think the issue of concealed carry is largely an issue of the more populated areas of the state. As one gets outstate many are just fine with open carry. With the passage of the changes to vehicle carry and the new castle doctrine the only thing concealed carry brings to the table in outstate is carry of unloaded and uncased firearms in the 1000 foot school zone. I don't feel that is a significant carrot to outstate residents. Multi-state carry is also not a significant driver. I think the constitutional right to open carry will keep the WI count lower than expected. Just my opinion.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I think Pennsylvannia has about 5 percent of the populaiton with permits

Following is the number of active right to carry permits/conceal carry permits in the five nearby states:

IA 36,000
MI 290,731
MN 88,824
ND 14,762
SD 58,287

WI count not included because count is changing daily.
MI inflates the average. 4 counties in MI: Oakland, Wayne, Macomb and Kent have a combined population of 3,962,789 which is nearly as high as the whole state of WI which had a 2010 population of about 5,500,000.

Tot 488,604
Avg 97,720

Last updated Dec 7, 2011.

http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm
I would expect Wisconsin to end with about the same percentage of permits, which would be about 280,000 permits total. Of course, if Wisconsin passes constitutional carry quickly, that number might never reach that high. It has not even been two months, with only resident permits, and over 50,000 people have applied for permits.

davegran

The Carry State

I would expect Wisconsin to end with about the same percentage of permits, which would be about 280,000 permits total. Of course, if Wisconsin passes constitutional carry quickly, that number might never reach that high. It has not even been two months, with only resident permits, and over 50,000 people have applied for permits.
I'd guess that by today they have received over 60,000 applications.... My opinion. :cool:

Cobra469

Yes my girlfriend is one. She moved in with me not long ago. She had the post office change her address to my place, but has not yet changed her DMV address. She applied for her cc with her old (parents) address that she still has with the DMV, her car registration, etc. She planned on waiting to change her DMV address when her license expires soon and was going to immediately change her CC address as well. But they refused her. I'm curious on how they found the address mis-match, as she only notified the post office to forward her mail here.
Which raises more questions. Do I HAVE to have a state issued Drivers license or ID to get a cc? Is a transient living in the state not allowed to apply for CC because they may not have a permanant address? Would a college kid (like my GF) living on/near campus getting his mail, yet having his parents address listed with the DMV for car registration etc also be denied?

Yes you have to have a DOT issued ID or Drivers License. This also has to match the address on your application. If you moved though you can electronically update your ID for free online. Hope this helps your girlfriend update information so that she may get her permit.

davegran

The Carry State Part 2

Just some wild speculation to draw a little friendly fire.... The solid lines are actual historical data from the DOJ and the dotted green lines are the wild speculation. However, the latest figures do point to the possibility of this many applications coming in. Time will tell. The graph probably points to a need for more coffee this morning.... :eek:
vr6n86.jpg

ccwinstructor

Centurion
That graph looks pretty good.

Just some wild speculation to draw a little friendly fire.... The solid lines are actual historical data from the DOJ and the dotted green lines are the wild speculation. However, the latest figures do point to the possibility of this many applications coming in. Time will tell. The graph probably points to a need for more coffee this morning.... :eek:
vr6n86.jpg

On hearing how many permit applications have come in, It looks quite accurate. I thought they would slow down more quickly, but they have not. They need to get more people on the job.

This is good news for Wisconsin gun rights. The numbers that have already been submitted to surpass the percentages in four shall issue states: New Mexico, Indiana, Louisiana, and Nebraska.

Pennsylvania which has over twice the population of Wisconsin, only had 95,000 permit in their first year. Wisconsin could well top that!

Last edited: