Thread: State Democrats lose legal battle to reel in Republican power

State Democrats lose legal battle to reel in Republican power

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-state-...tory?track=rss

RICHMOND, VA (WTVR) - A Richmond judge refused to issue an injunction Friday that would take some power away from Republican Virginia Lt. Governor Bill Bolling, the Washington Post reported.

State Senator Donald McEachin (D - Henrico) filed the suit claiming while the Lt. Governor did have the power to cast the tie-breaking vote in a deadlocked state Senate, he did not have the power to break ties when deciding the Senate's power structure and committee appointments.

"While I respectfully disagree with the outcome, it was purely a procedural decision," Sen. McEachin said in a statement. "The judge determined that the matter was not ripe for a final determination on the merits. The opinion was not a decision on the merits of whether the Lieutenant Governor can vote on Senate organization."

Sen. McEachin said state Democrats would explore their options and asked Republicans to respect past history.

"The Senate is evenly divided, 20-20 so committees and responsibilities and power should be divided to reflect that even split, just as the Republicans said in 1996. Even then Governor Allen spoke to the need for parity under these same circumstances," Sen. McEachin said.

Well, I guess there is some sanity on the bench after all.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    [url]...Sen. McEachin said state Democrats would explore their options and asked Republicans to respect past history...
    Yeah, respect the history as much as the dems respected the rules last term?
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    Yeah, respect the history as much as the dems respected the rules last term?
    I'd say that the historical pattern, at this point, is that which the Democratic members established in the prior session. There ain't no goin' back.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I'd say that the historical pattern, at this point, is that which the Democratic members established in the justprior session. There ain't no goin' back.
    ...........................^
    ...........Point of clarification, councilor.

......That's why we call it "Living History"
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

I'd say that the historical pattern, at this point, is that which the Democratic members established in the prior session. There ain't no goin' back.
    Do you mean to say that you think that Senate subcommittees will continue to kill bills in violation of the rules from now on, no matter who is in charge?

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Do you mean to say that you think that Senate subcommittees will continue to kill bills in violation of the rules from now on, no matter who is in charge?

TFred
    Make a note to ask that very question of the members on Lobby day, TFred.
    I already have asked the question of a member who is on the committee, but not the sub committee.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Make a note to ask that very question of the members on Lobby day, TFred.
    I already have asked the question of a member who is on the committee, but not the sub committee.
    Seems to me that the decision will be made by the chair of the full committee... they would seem to have the call on whether or not to put the bills before a full vote or not. No?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Seems to me that the decision will be made by the chair of the full committee... they would seem to have the call on whether or not to put the bills before a full vote or not. No?

TFred

Yes, that's correct TFred but I'm going on the assumption (I know, I know)...that Saslaw and Marsh will no longer be assigning the bills.
    Despite the court decision, there is still a great deal of uncertainty though.

My discussions have centered around an honest game where our bills are actually considered. Just think of a Blackjack game where the dealer who had always dealt from the bottom of the deck, has now been demoted to just a player. He's still crooked but the only cards he has are his.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    ...snip...My discussions have centered around an honest game where our bills are actually considered. Just think of a Blackjack game where the dealer who had always dealt from the bottom of the deck, has now been demoted to just a player. He's still crooked but the only cards he has are his.
    The cards they dealt themselves last year:

Left holding this for the next sessionr:

More likely than not the Demon Caucus will consider the 'Wisconsin Option' and perhaps seek sanctuary in the District, thus depriving the Senate of its constitutionally mandated quorum.

Places your bets.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    I was not paying attention to this issue back when Allen was quoted.

Are we saying that the Republicans in Allen's day (1) made nice with the Dems, but that in the last session (2), under the exact same situation the Dems did not play nice with the Republicans?

And, that now, in THIRD situation (3), the Dems want the GOP to ignore the last session deal, and go back to quoting Allen in the first scenario? Do I have this right?

If so, why isn't some GOP person speaking in such simple terms to the media, so I did not have to come to OCDO to understand this trickery? If I have it wrong, correct me, please.
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The cards they dealt themselves last year:

Left holding this for the next sessionr:
    Judging from the election, I thought this was their pat hand last year.

McEachin now claims Virginians WANT power-sharing -- it's only fair!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    I was not paying attention to this issue back when Allen was quoted.

Are we saying that the Republicans in Allen's day (1) made nice with the Dems, but that in the last session (2), under the exact same situation the Dems did not play nice with the Republicans?

And, that now, in THIRD situation (3), the Dems want the GOP to ignore the last session deal, and go back to quoting Allen in the first scenario? Do I have this right?

If so, why isn't some GOP person speaking in such simple terms to the media, so I did not have to come to OCDO to understand this trickery? If I have it wrong, correct me, please.
    Well, McEachin first whines:

McEachin on power sharing lawsuit
    The opinion was not a decision on the merits of whether the Lieutenant Governor can vote on Senate organization.

"I call on the Republicans to respect the will of the voters and past history. The senate is evenly divided, 20-20 so committees and responsibilities and power should be divided to reflect that even split, just as the Republicans said in 1996. Even then Governor Allen spoke to the need for parity under these same circumstances.

"The Senate Democratic caucus will continue to explore all its options, both legal and procedural, to resolve this issue in a way that reflects the actual outcome on election day, not an arrogant partisan power grab, totally to the benefit of one Party that does not reflect a majority of the Senate," Senator McEachin concluded.
    Now, the Donald is citing a new poll:

McEachin reacts to PPP poll on Power Sharing
    Senator A. Donald McEachin (D-Henrico) noted that that the PPP Poll released today showed that Virginians, by an absolute majority, want power shared in the State Senate. Senator McEachin said, “As I would have expected, the inherent fairness of Virginians, their interests in seeing the parties work together to find real solutions and not engage in partisan posturing, was further demonstrated today by the PPP Poll results.

“Over half of respondents, 55%, believe that power should be shared in the Virginia State Senate. These voters, constituents of both Democrats and Republicans, recognize that the Election day results created an evenly divided Senate and, therefore, the Senate should organize in a way reflective of those results.

“I would ask my colleagues on the other side of the aisle to respect not only the Election Day outcome, but this further indicator, from a scientific poll, that demonstrates that Virginians want parity and power-sharing. As elected legislators, representatives of the people, we should respond to Virginians’ needs and perspectives and follow their directives.”
    It's scientific -- Well, that settles it, then!!

Um, why don't we see what the Public Policy Polling survey actually says:
    That's how Virginians generally feel about the issue ... but when it comes specifically to whether they think Bill Bolling should be able to cast a tie breaking vote on Senate organization voters say yes by a 37-34 margin and independents side with the Republican point of view on the issue by a 41/37 spread.

Takeaway: in theory voters think there should be power sharing but they also think Bolling has the right to break the tie...so they're basically sending a message to the GOP that it should share power, even if it doesn't have to.
    Revised comment: It's scientific; the GOP doesn't have to -- Well, that settles it, then!!

If we supposedly "want power sharing," why did Virginians elect a Republican governor, Lt. governor, attorney general, and house of delegates and cast 43% more votes for Republican state senate candidates?

Specifically, why did we elect a Republican Lt. Governor, other than to shift the control of power in just such a situation?

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    If we supposedly "want power sharing," why did Virginians elect a Republican governor, Lt. governor, attorney general, and house of delegates and cast 43% more votes for Republican state senate candidates?

Specifically, why did we elect a Republican Lt. Governor, other than to shift the control of power in just such a situation?
    Yep - them's the facts.