Thread: NC Laws Regarding Self Identification

NC Laws Regarding Self Identification

I've had a hard time finding any good info on this- in NC, what are the laws about when a person is required to give ID, whether a name or ID card or whatnot? Is it only when asked while doing something unlawful, only while carrying concealed, or what? I'd really like to start OC soon, and would like to know the exact law about this before I head out.

Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    I've had a hard time finding any good info on this- in NC, what are the laws about when a person is required to give ID, whether a name or ID card or whatnot? Is it only when asked while doing something unlawful, only while carrying concealed, or what? I'd really like to start OC soon, and would like to know the exact law about this before I head out.
    NC is not a stop and ID state, so unless you are operating a vehicle, there's no legal requirement for a DL. If you are CC'ing then photo ID is the law (State ID card, passport, DL, etc.). I've OC'd around Fletcher for several months without a problem. I don't go to downtown asheville much so I don't know what the reaction would be there. Could be interesting.

ID

Go to page 6 of this forum to the thread started by dmatting (Identification Please) 9-20-2011. Read the info included in the links. It will give you the same answer spiderjohn gave you, but with background and further interesting info.

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    Go to page 6 of this forum to the thread started by dmatting (Identification Please) 9-20-2011. Read the info included in the links. It will give you the same answer spiderjohn gave you, but with background and further interesting info.
    Thanks so much for the info- just what I was looking for.