• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots fired up the street....again....

G30Mike

So my neighborhood used to be pretty quiet. Within the past 2 or 3 years the small apt building up the street has become a haven for dope heads and born idiots. So, on with the story...

Sitting on my couch watching movies with the girlfriend and she gets up to change the movie and says there's a car parked blocking my driveway. I walk to the door and open it and sure enough there's a pt cruiser there and a truck behind it looking like it was parking. So I go back inside and shut the door preparing to call the cops and make a report about the car blocking my drive.

Not 30 seconds after I close the door off goes about 15-20 shots. I'm on the floor telling the gf to get down as well with my pistol grip Mossberg 12 guage pump I keep by the couch in hand, and my Glock 30 holstered. She grabbed her PF9 and hit the deck. Then I hear the two cars take off. Call 911 immediately....no answer...she got on her phone and calls 911 as well and they answered hers, so I got on the phone and described what happened.

About 6 cars respond. They drive around the block a couple of times so I unholster and go out to meet them to let em know what's going on. They found the scene where I told them the shots came from and do their investigation...or at least what resembled one, ha!

Evidently, one of the guys who lives in said apt building, his car was shot up. What I thought was ridiculous is how the police handled it. 2 officers stayed and it was almost as if it was no big deal. One of them even made the comment of "pretty ballsy" and they both laughed. They took some pics and bsed around for just short of 20mins. I moved from Kansas City KS to get away from this bs, now its here...
From now on, the AR is going to be sitting at the door. I'm so sick of this bs. This is about the 3rd time within a year of shots up the street with one of those times when I had to draw my sidearm, but the little bastard with the shotgun ran away.
Anyways, sorry for the rant, just had to get this crap off my chest...so pissed off right now.

G30Mike

Good thing was though in hindsight, my 15 month old son is staying the night with my sister, so he wasn't here.

Jim40Cal

WoW! Sorry to hear that G30Mike. I live in a rather safe neighborhood but even we had a house get shot up one night about 3 a.m. It was my sons girl friends house but luckly no one was hit. Worse yet they had hit the wrong house. It's a dangerous world out there.
Stay safe & Stay armed...

RPGamingGirl

I have a lot of family in St. Joe so i'm really sad to hear this--i'm also embarrassed because my uncle works for the PD!

Lame.

Stay armed, and stay safe.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
They drive around the block a couple of times so I unholster and go out to meet them to let em know what's going on. They found the scene where I told them the shots came from and do their investigation...or at least what resembled one, ha!

Uhm, am I reading this correctly? As the cops are driving around looking for a shooter, you went outside with your pistol in your hand? I really hope I am wrong because that sounds like a real fast way to get shot by some rookie or gunho police officer already on high alert looking for a shooter.

As far as shots fired goes, it is too bad you are having to live near such a thing, but it is sort of everywhere now days short of living in the country. I hope you never have to live with taking a life, but by all means, it beats having yours taken.

G30Mike

Uhm, am I reading this correctly? As the cops are driving around looking for a shooter, you went outside with your pistol in your hand? I really hope I am wrong because that sounds like a real fast way to get shot by some rookie or gunho police officer already on high alert looking for a shooter.

As far as shots fired goes, it is too bad you are having to live near such a thing, but it is sort of everywhere now days short of living in the country. I hope you never have to live with taking a life, but by all means, it beats having yours taken.

What I meant by unholstering was I left my Glock inside my house as I went out. I didn't even want the cop to see me with anything resembling a gun. I'm not trying to get slammed into the pavement with a knee in my neck or taken down at gunpoint.
Sad the world we live in nowadays.....

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
LOL ok, glad to understand it now.

It is sad. I life in one of those la te da neighborhoods and my truck got broken into, when the officer did the report he was telling me that only 2 blocks away was a crack house that had a couple that are suspected of dealing and using meth and it was not until they move in that the car and home break in started happening. He would not reveal the address.

That is sort of what I mean by it is everywhere.

Perhaps the "system" will use that law about landlords being responsible for continued crime in their properties to make that problem go away, but I would not get my hopes up. It would be nice if you could have the peace you sought out.

G30Mike

I live over off. 19th St. by Kovaks off 22nd and Frederick. Id love to have a meet as my girlfriend and sister would join us all OCing as well.
Ill be at DGS range Tuesday night for the IDPA match at 7pm as well. Although not very supportive of OC, still some good guys to come and have some fun with on the first and third Tuesday of every month.

Last edited:

RPGamingGirl

As far as shots fired goes, it is too bad you are having to live near such a thing, but it is sort of everywhere now days short of living in the country.

(emphasis added by me)

LOL sorry, just had to make a point of contention here: i live in the country, and we have LOTS of shots fired here--different situation is all, lol.

I go out and empty a few magazines in my backyard, and not five minutes later everyone else in earshot takes it as permission to do the same. My theory is they must have someone at home telling them not to go out and bother the neighbors with the noise, so they wait til a neighbor has done it first, haha.

On a serious note though, this is why i have a gun in the first place: out here, no one thinks to question the sound of gunshots, especially on nights when the coyotes are making a fuss.

SovereignAxe

(emphasis added by me)

LOL sorry, just had to make a point of contention here: i live in the country, and we have LOTS of shots fired here--different situation is all, lol.

I go out and empty a few magazines in my backyard, and not five minutes later everyone else in earshot takes it as permission to do the same. My theory is they must have someone at home telling them not to go out and bother the neighbors with the noise, so they wait til a neighbor has done it first, haha.

On a serious note though, this is why i have a gun in the first place: out here, no one thinks to question the sound of gunshots, especially on nights when the coyotes are making a fuss.

that's one thing I miss about living with my parents. used to I could just go out and shoot cans like you in the back yard. now I've got to either find an open range or make it back to their house.

Marc

Well Mike, I live at 23rd and Olive and it hasnt been a quiet area for the last ten years, although admittedly gunshots were a rare sound until 3 years ago then they started becoming commonplace. At my house when we hear shots fired we just turn the scanner on and click the safeties off :) Welcome to the new suburb of Kansas City.

celticredneck

(emphasis added by me)

Same here. I shoot in my yard anytime I want. The neighbors (at least a quarter mile away) do the same.

G30Mike

Well Mike, I live at 23rd and Olive and it hasnt been a quiet area for the last ten years, although admittedly gunshots were a rare sound until 3 years ago then they started becoming commonplace. At my house when we hear shots fired we just turn the scanner on and click the safeties off :) Welcome to the new suburb of Kansas City.

You're pretty close to me then. It is pretty discomforting hearing shots right outside the house. Didn't know if they were gunning for me or not. Nothing hit my house so good thing for them. I'm so far to the point that if I hear it again I'm about to grab the AR and start putting green dots on idiots that pose a threat. Obviously the PD doesn't care about random shootings, and that's what concerns me the most. They told me there are 9 officers on duty for 80k people at one time. Then they want to act like aholes to open carriers that just want to carry for protection. Makes no sense to me.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
It's sad to hear that St. Joe has become so dangerous. I used to travel there a few times a year through the mid/late 90s on business and always had a more positive vibe about the city.

G30Mike

I guess I made the mistake of buying a house here then, lol. Id probably lose my butt if I sold it to move though. Its paid off, so I'm pretty much stuck. Still better than being in California or Illinois, so at least I have that going. Thanks for the comments everyone.