• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Auroral and firearms

paul@paul-fisher.com

Aurora and firearms

So, walked into the Aurora in Burlington after securing mine in the car and what do I see? An armed individual! I went out and re-read the sign. It didn't list any exceptions. I went in and complained to the nurse and she just smiled. Are Racine County Deputies exempt from 'all'?

No need to answer, I will be mailing Aurora.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Compliments and Service Concerns, Aurora Health Care

https://www.aurorahealthcare.org/contact-us/compliments-concerns
Aurora Burlington is posted against guns with no exceptions. An armed person was observed and complaint made to "the nurse" who took no action.

1 November Governor Walker enacted Act 35 enabling legal concealed weapons carry by legally armed citizens in addition to government armed enforcers.

Please review your policies in favor of law abiding citizens.
Unknown Error
We're sorry, an error has occured. Please contact Aurora Web Site Support for further help.

pkbites

Are Racine County Deputies exempt from 'all'?

Yes. Signs prohibiting weapons do not include on duty law enforcement.

The DOJ says they might not apply to off-duty law enforcement either:

34. Can an off duty active law enforcement officer carry a concealed weapon in a business which prohibits concealed weapons?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Probably yes. The hesitation is because this is a murky area of the law. It is generally accepted that law enforcement officers are able to carry a concealed weapon anywhere in the state at any time, though department policy might prohibit it. Therefore it would seem that in the absence of a statute limiting the law enforcement exception to an officer on active duty (e.g. the school grounds prohibition), an off duty police officer could carry in a business, which prohibits concealed carry through appropriate posting.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, while it's stupid for them to prohibit any law abiding person from carrying, you still don't have an argument in this case against the deputy from being there armed.

Captain Nemo

When I read the re-write of 941.23 I am in agreement with pkbites and DoJ that except for the GFSZ there is no restriction on where or when a peace officer may go armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon. However there is no particular statute that I can locate that gives a peace officer expressed authority to carry a visible weapon. Certainly they are constitutioanlly protected to do so but I wonder if when off duty they can ignore postings that say "No weapons allowed" No guns allowed", "no firearms allowed" if their weapon is not concealed.

pkbites

but I wonder if when off duty they can ignore postings that say "No weapons allowed" No guns allowed", "no firearms allowed" if their weapon is not concealed.

That sounds like splitting hairs, but I wonder it too.

But I also wonder about what the average citizen can do also. For instance in the case of a sign like THIS that says "No Concealed Weapons". If someone open carried there would they be in violation of the law because the store owner is an idiot and meant to post "No weapons" signs?

2 weeks ago I had to attend a 4 hour in-service class regarding the new CCW law. My Captain who conducted the training could not fully answer this question and unfortunately there wasn't anyone present from the D.A.'s office. I was told that "for now, until otherwise advised, the sign says what it says, and an open carrier could only be asked to leave but not charged with anything".

SovereignAxe

So, walked into the Aurora in Burlington after securing mine in the various and what do I see? An armed individual! I went out and re-read the sign. It didn't list any exceptions. I went in and complained to the nurse and she just smiled. Are Racine County Deputies exempt from 'all'?No need to answer, I will be mailing Aurora. Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Autocorrect is not your friend.

E6chevron

When I read the re-write of 941.23 I am in agreement with pkbites and DoJ that except for the GFSZ there is no restriction on where or when a peace officer may go armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon. However there is no particular statute that I can locate that gives a peace officer expressed authority to carry a visible weapon. Certainly they are constitutioanlly protected to do so but I wonder if when off duty they can ignore postings that say "No weapons allowed" No guns allowed", "no firearms allowed" if their weapon is not concealed.

The 943.13 "Trespass to Land" statute, https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/943/II/13 was greatly modified by Act35, and includes Class B forfeiture prohibitions on carrying a firearm in many different types of dwellings and land, after being notified.

It has no exceptions for law enforcement officers, either on duty or off duty, unless they are removing a wild animal, or hunting in an area that had wildlife damage abatement assistance or claims:

(4m) This section does not apply to any of the following:
__ (a) A person entering the land, other than the residence or other buildings or the curtilage of the residence or other buildings, of another for the purpose of removing a wild animal as authorized under s. 29.885 (2), (3) or (4).
__ (b) A hunter entering land that is required to be open for hunting under s. 29.885 (4m) or 29.889 (7m).

Last edited:

bspiller

It seems all my Aurora Doctor facilities are posted however I came across 1 at the Kenosha Sleep lab that had no signs and I happily carried into the building. I then proceeded to ask why the other Aurora buildings are posted and not the one I was in. They had no answer and I bet you the next time I go to this Sleep Lab it will have a sign.